Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

KV-1 or2 exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 12:45 PM
lposter

Received 151 Likes on 87 Posts
Default KV-1 or2 exhaust

In real life, which of the holes does the smoke come from on the KV tanks?

Is it the two vents on th eengine deck or the single pipe that extrudes from the rounded part of the lower hull?

p
Old 02-14-2013, 12:49 PM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Default RE: KV-1 or2 exhaust

The two exhaust or vents on the engine deck. Someone did a mod on their HL KV-1 so the smoke came out of them? Found it. It was B.A.D.A.S.S.Force.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...m.htm#11169392
Old 02-14-2013, 12:51 PM
lposter

Thanks! What sthe pipe on the back for? Pistol port?

p
Old 02-14-2013, 12:53 PM
MAUS45

Found it. It was B.A.D.A.S.S.Force.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...m.htm#11169392
Old 02-14-2013, 12:55 PM
lposter

So its a tail light?

p
Old 02-14-2013, 01:28 PM
MAUS45

It is this part...Maybe you mean Tail Pipe? If you look at B.A.D.A.S.S.Force build there are pictures of how he did the mod so the smoke unit would pump the smoke out of this exhaust pipe.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16606.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	1852111  
Old 02-14-2013, 01:41 PM
lposter

Iget that bit.....where the smoke should come out of as in that mod.

But what is this thing (see attached). I always thought it was an exhaust pipe and thought someone had just shoved something up it to keep the rats out.

BUt is this a tail light and not an exhaust?

p

Name:	By76561.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	1852113  
Old 02-14-2013, 02:36 PM
Spitvalve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, it's a tail light.

Mike.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:07 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

here is mine working i had made a manifold inside attaching the two together i have to find the pics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKACT...yer_detailpage
Old 02-15-2013, 08:23 AM
MAUS45

Yes that would be the tail light.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:46 AM
lposter

I dont suppose anyone has a decent shot of it intact? With the glass in it or whatever?

p
Old 02-15-2013, 12:22 PM
MAUS45

Here is one but I am not sure this is correct as it could have been a museum replacement?

Name:	Nl29666.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	1852471  
Old 02-15-2013, 02:04 PM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

ORIGINAL: MAUS45

Here is one but I am not sure this is correct as it could have been a museum replacement?
Wow, good job finding an actual photo of a restored KV-1 with a close-up of a tail light to begin with, that' in itself was a task!

But boy, I don't know, that picture just doesn't look right to me with the lens so exposed & sticking out like that ... maybe it is close to what they originally were, but it sure looks more like they had taken a trailer's round tail light lens they had lying around & just plugged it on for effect.

ORIGINAL: lposter
I dont suppose anyone has a decent shot of it intact? With the glass in it or whatever?

p
Yeah, tough enough just finding any good clear detailed shots of the rear of a KV-1 in old WWII pictures, so you can at least get a better idea of what they looked like intact, let alone any from the few restored ones.
I'm wondering if they looked more like that KV-1 walk-around picture your posted, with just a lens behind that (probably bent) bar going across the tail lens tubes.
Kind of like this ?

~ Craig ~

Old 02-15-2013, 02:34 PM
lposter

Interesting to see these...Ihadnt.

Ithought the wiggly bit going across the cylinder might have been a handle or something?

In the walkaroudn shot with no glass, what Inow know (or assume)to be the bulb holders look a little to close to the thing to allow for glass in between?

Its a little tricky....as you say, there aint many pictures up close from the actual time epriod..

p
Old 02-15-2013, 02:52 PM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

ORIGINAL: lposter

Interesting to see these...Ihadnt.

Ithought the wiggly bit going across the cylinder might have been a handle or something?

In the walkaroudn shot with no glass, what Inow know (or assume)to be the bulb holders look a little to close to the thing to allow for glass in between?

Its a little tricky....as you say, there aint many pictures up close from the actual time epriod..

p
I just Photoshopped in a lens into the walk around picture because it looked plausible for a lens to be behind a protective bar.

Looking at the original picture from the Prime Portal walk around, & zooming in on the lens area, that bar definitely looks bent out of it's orignal shape, which seems it should be straight across.
To me it also looks to be quite a few inches between the cross-bar & the back where the bulb access is located, & enough room where a lens could possibly fit.

Still, I'm only guessing, so you may be right, & MAUS45's picture might be exactly what they really are supposed to look like.

Would be nice to find out for certain.

~ Craig ~

Old 02-15-2013, 03:24 PM
MAUS45

Yep, that's why in my disclaimer statement I said,"Could be a museum restore?" I agree with your photo shop photo. The lens would have been behind the split cover. The only thing is was it solid red or was the upper portion red and the lower portion white or yellow?
Old 02-15-2013, 03:55 PM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

ORIGINAL: MAUS45

Yep, that's why in my disclaimer statement I said,"Could be a museum restore?" I agree with your photo shop photo. The lens would have been behind the split cover. The only thing is was it solid red or was the upper portion red and the lower portion white or yellow?
Yeah, I realized from your original post with the picture that you weren't sure of the accuracy.

Though I've stumble across quite a few rear photos of the real tanks (looking for both KV-1 & KV-2), none of them are really super clear & detailed enough to specifically get a great look at the tail light.

Tamiya offers this look on their tanks, where you do see the top half of a red lens which appears to be behind a protective cover / holding plate, not sure what the bottom part of it lookes like :

~ Craig ~

Old 02-28-2013, 06:31 PM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

Well, even though I didn't come across a good clear original WWII KV-1 tail light image, or a properly restored one either, I have found a drawing or rendition that does show the tail light lens cover in a way which it may have looked.
The odd thing about this image, unlike the real tank picture, there seems to be 3 rings making up the whole fixture, 1 outer ring, then a middle ring, then the ring with the bar protecting the lens.
The Prime Portal pictures of the real tank just show 2 rings, a much thicker outer ring or housing, then the inside ring with the bar across it which would probably hold the lens.

But the one thing that this picture might be helpful in clearing up, is that the bar going across the inner ring should be a slight inverted V shape, or bent looking ... so I guess I was incorrect thinking the bar on the inner ring was damaged on the real tank & should probably be straight.
Since I installed a working red tail light on my KV-1, I am also going to try to create this style lens cover with the bent bar too.

~ Craig ~