Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

BanDai Panzer 4

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 08:11 AM
Cruiser133

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BanDai Panzer 4

I am seeking the collective expertise of the forum. What say you guys concerning the Bandai Pz4? Should I buy one, or just save my pennies for the Tamiya versionfrom AAF?

Thanks!
Old 03-01-2013, 08:21 AM
Rustytrax

Default RE: BanDai Panzer 4

For me the PZ 4 epitomizes ww2.armor. I want to get one but am dragging my feet. Tamiya is so durable I have a hard time with other kits knowing all the things needed to make it a good fighter that lasts. So Tammi is my vote.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:39 AM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe this is just my club but there is a noticable LACK of Panzer IV's on the battlefield. I don't think we have one operational fighter. Not sure why... it also seems, as far as HL is concerned, the P-4 has the smallest 'upgrade' market. Weird.

Maybe someday Asiatam will crank out a hull / accessories and they'll take off..

I for one love the look of it.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:15 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

The Bandai kits were out in the early 70's and were crude be even the standards then. Plus they are kind of a mix of 1/16 and 1/15 scales with a lot of the details missing or not correct. No electronics at all, and the stock transmission back then, well today they wouldn't even make it to the spare parts box. Plastic was not the best and I've heard of kits being sold now that the plastic on some parts is falling apart.

Save up for the Tamiya. There's a reason Tamiya is the bench mark in our hobby.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:08 AM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

I have one of these, purchased new back in the 70s. They were ok in their day; I believe Bandai's PzKw IV was the first in that line. At one time it was sold in the US under the name 'Entex' as well. The model is very lean on detail and not particularly accurate either. The earliest kits were all plastic with snap together tracks and completely
plastic suspension components although these may be replaced with Kenny Kong metal parts and tracks. Later kits may be found with metal suspension parts however do not
function like the full size machines.

I'd not recommend the PzKw IV unless purchased very inexpensively and you want to do a great deal of work. The Bandai StuG IV, Hummel and Tiger I
are better models but are still not up to current standards.

The price differential between a Tamiya and an old Bandai is substantial so if that is an issue the Heng Long may be a better basis to move forward with as there are more
after market accessories available for it.

Jerry
Old 03-01-2013, 11:59 AM
Cruiser133

i found it on ebay for $250. thanks guys for the heads up. I will wait for the tammi.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:40 PM
Rebellion13

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

The flip side of the coin..... Mato sells the pz4 w/metal tracks for $139 add a clark tk22 board and for under $300 you can have a decent tank. I know asiatam sells a lower hull w/ metal suspension, I don't know if its the pz4 though, and probably runs a little over a $100 now you would be looking around the $400 mark. Oh and welcome. Ok just checked the asiatam lower is for the pz III.

Cheers
Wade
Old 03-01-2013, 04:21 PM
streetsquid

Cruiser,
I bought a bandai Pz IV a few years ago as the Aufs D, with the short L24 pak 75mm barrel is my favorite tank of WWII, and there is nothing good to say about that kit, it really is just plain bad and does not serve well even as a platform to upgrade from. I consider myself a relatively experienced modeler and I threw my hands up in the first 2 days of owning it because of inaccuracies and poor design.

At that time Tamiya had not yet released their Pz IV which is also a later version with the longer barrel. So I opted for the HL Pz IV Aufs F1 and used that as a platform for my project. I got mine with upgraded gear boxes, metal suspension arms and tracks and only paid about $130 for it. The project is idle now, but with the new Clark boards now out I may soon resurect it. If you are even remotely interested to see what I've accomplshed thus far here's a link to the thread;

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_88...tm.htm#8858462

Squid
Old 03-01-2013, 04:33 PM
Glen B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Strato50

Maybe this is just my club but there is a noticable LACK of Panzer IV's on the battlefield. I don't think we have one operational fighter...
We almost did.

Not sure why...
In my case, it was because I could not find an upgrade gearboxe that would fit.

I wasn't going to convert it to IR, only to run it with the stock, HL gearboxes.

The difficultyy is that the HL Pz IV gearbox can only be about 1 inch wide at the front, I could not find an upgrade unit that would fit.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:12 PM
edoubleaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

If Tamiya had priced the PZ IV closer to the Sherman price, we might have more examples. In my experience though, German fans will snap up a tiger before a IV. Why fight medium?
Old 03-03-2013, 05:13 AM
1sgt

ORIGINAL: streetsquid

Cruiser,
I bought a bandai Pz IV a few years ago as the Aufs D, with the short L24 pak 75mm barrel is my favorite tank of WWII, and there is nothing good to say about that kit, it really is just plain bad and does not serve well even as a platform to upgrade from. I consider myself a relatively experienced modeler and I threw my hands up in the first 2 days of owning it because of inaccuracies and poor design.

At that time Tamiya had not yet released their Pz IV which is also a later version with the longer barrel. So I opted for the HL Pz IV Aufs F1 and used that as a platform for my project. I got mine with upgraded gear boxes, metal suspension arms and tracks and only paid about $130 for it. The project is idle now, but with the new Clark boards now out I may soon resurect it. If you are even remotely interested to see what I've accomplshed thus far here's a link to the thread;

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_88...tm.htm#8858462

Squid
Streetsquid,
It's a shame, but you pics won't open up from your PZ IV build thread. Wonder if it's because I opend it up from your link you posted? Would love to able to go back and reread and see your pics.

Jim
Old 03-03-2013, 05:07 PM
streetsquid

1sgt,
No I think its related to whatever issue RCU is having with pictures right now. I have not been able to post new pics of my Sturmtiger build in 3 days, and any of the pics in previous builds don't want to open. Hopefully they're addressing the issue, as it is RCU wide and not just a tanker thing ( I saw a large posting on the main page from some airplane guys experiencing the same issue). Once they do get it figured out hopefyll we will all be able to upload and view pics again!

Squid
Old 03-03-2013, 07:54 PM
FreakyDude

huh what no running PZIV's?? holy cow does mine count lol not until I am official I guess. Actually mine won't be a PZ for long anyway.

I personally would just buy the heng long PZ, the hull is pretty thick plastic and the only real issue that I have had has been the suspension which can be traded out for metal parts. there should be no issue

Maybe this is just my club but there is a noticable LACK of Panzer IV's on the battlefield. I don't think we have one operational fighter. Not sure why... it also seems, as far as HL is concerned, the P-4 has the smallest 'upgrade' market. Weird.

Maybe someday Asiatam will crank out a hull / accessories and they'll take off..

I for one love the look of it.