Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Should we move to RC Groups?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Should we move to RC Groups?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 07:23 PM
tsull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should we move to RC Groups?

This site is very frustrating. The only great part is the people and knowledge that has gathered here.
Any thoughts?
Don't flame me please/lol
tsull
Old 03-04-2013, 07:39 AM
Darryl Usher

Default RE: Should we move to RC Groups?

What is frustrating? I feel it is fine.
Darryl
Old 03-04-2013, 08:50 AM
tsull

Hi Darryl,
I have never been able to upload multiple pictures - but even individual pictures now return a 500 error (I haven't tried this morning). Plus, very slow site.
On the plus side, I've met some great people here and don't want to denigrate it. Hopefully, this post will poke the site owners into upgrading it.
I do like several other forum sites that I'm active on which have topical matters nicely arranged per product and/or interest. It makes for a much easier search and navigation function rather then the latest post goes up first.
tsull
Old 03-04-2013, 10:08 AM
Ronan87

My only issue with this forum is it's a mess to go through things.

Most forum have different categories for example: Tamiya build, Heng Long Build, etc.

Some even have it by type of tank.

I see RCU more like a general forum about tank stuff, for quick posts/updates/etc. For build threads i use RC Tank Warfare UK and 2 others.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:35 AM
stegl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup I have been haveing the "500 internal server error" popping up since late last week. A week or two ago not a problem..... Can't find out how to contact then to see if a fix is happening or what.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:45 AM
tsull

If I was an Advertiser, I'd be pretty unhappy right about now.
tsull
Old 03-04-2013, 12:16 PM
Rex Ross

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the same problems this week. I just did this test photo, nothing I tried worked yesterday. It loaded immediately today.
Attached Images  
Old 03-04-2013, 12:23 PM
stegl

ok will try again.... Thanks
Old 03-04-2013, 01:03 PM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

This site sucks when it comes to uploading Photos or viewing past build threads. The photos in almost every build thread I looked up from
the past, Like StreetSquids Panzer IV F1 backdate to a D, do not open. I was trying to look at a Jagdpanzer IV build as well the same thing.
What is the dealio!!![:'(]
Old 03-04-2013, 01:05 PM
pattoncommander

I've had the same problem for 3 days...now today, the photos went OK. One problem still persists.."click to enlarge" does nothing except move the photo a couple inches to the right at the same size.[:-]
Old 03-04-2013, 01:15 PM
stegl

Yes over the weekend there was an RC Universe site problem ; now fixed. Uploads are almost instantaneous and when I click to enlarge they blow up by about 3 to 4 times. Are your photos cropped at all ?
Old 03-04-2013, 08:46 PM
BIGMIG

ORIGINAL: Ronan87

Most forum have different categories for example: Tamiya build, Heng Long Build, etc.

I see RCU more like a general forum about tank stuff, for quick posts/updates/etc. For build threads i use RC Tank Warfare UK and 2 others.

I would say be carefull what you wish for...... In the past i also thought that may be a good idea..........But the proof in the fact that its not.........compare the activiety on those sites..........number of posts....members loged in......Etc.....

If you find a RC forum that is as open to anyone from any country where you are treated as well as you are here over-all,and stays as active as this does......post it as i would like to have a look ..........

BIGMIG

RCU tank forum is still suffering from the blow to the economys of several countrys and makes me wonder if it will ever be like it was a few years back.? I'm in-betweenhobbys currently.......but i still look in almost every day....Not sure why ?? Habbit i guess.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:34 PM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

I tend to side with Big Mig, Yes other R / C Groups are different , but surely that is the point, I come here first most days because there is such a broad area of discussion and the depth of knowledge is without compare. I do think the " mechanics" of this site could be improved but that is a different matter altogether.   shaun
Old 03-04-2013, 10:27 PM
Ronan87

Huh i'm not wishing for anything.

I said i have other forums with more complex topic mangement that i used for build threads/etc. I see RCU as a general forum for anything about r/c tank and browse through it for the latest 'thing' quickly.

ORIGINAL: BIGMIG

ORIGINAL: Ronan87

I would say be carefull what you wish for...... In the past i also thought that may be a good idea..........But the proof in the fact that its not.........compare the activiety on those sites..........number of posts....members loged in......Etc.....

If you find a RC forum that is as open to anyone from any country where you are treated as well as you are here over-all,and stays as active as this does......post it as i would like to have a look ..........

BIGMIG

RCU tank forum is still suffering from the blow to the economys of several countrys and makes me wonder if it will ever be like it was a few years back.? I'm in-betweenhobbys currently.......but i still look in almost every day....Not sure why ?? Habbit i guess.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:03 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I personally like this site. It does have issues every once in awhile, but the traffic on here exceeds other forums. I kind of like everything showing up in one folder. Makes it easy to check mail without searching too much

Most times I can get the search function working to find old threads.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:35 PM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

I would say this is one of the better sights around, lots of knowledge and lots of help for all.

BigMig hit the nail on the head. Our hobby in general has had a rough time of it for the last 3 or 4 years. For ETO, January was the worst month we've had since February of '04. Don't worry, we'll not close, no chance of that, but tracking the business each month as I do shows the steady downward spiral since '10. To give you some perspective of how the hobby has evolved and grown, in February of '04 the entire line of Schumo parts for 1/16 would fit in two shoe boxes in multiples of each part with room left over. Heng Long was not here, Kenny Kong was making King Tiger and Bandai P4 tracks, Wecohe had just developed the Corleius Suspension, Tamiya transmissions were still mostly the original Type 1's and the Danville Battlefield was in its infancy.

I look at other forums from time to time and a point of note is there are not nearly the amount of builds going on now that there was even a year ago, let alone two or three years ago.

I expect to see some businesses fold this year, but then I've seen some fold in the best of times. I do shoot for the high end of quality parts, and I know that eventually all will return to normal. I have no idea when that will happen, but you can be sure ETO will be here.

As for other forums being better, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Yes, many have a different format and some are easier to use, but bottom line this forum has everyone, and except for the odd glitch everyone gets along pretty darned well. Oh yeah, and the photo problem is apparently solved. I posted a couple photos on the KV build thread this morning with zero problems. Last evening I got the 'error' message too.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:37 AM
Ronan87

Crappy economy means less disposable income. Everything seems to be getting more expensive too.

$4.35 for 2L milk carton... And let's not even talk about gas urghhh
Old 03-05-2013, 03:07 AM
pmerritt
My Feedback: (118)

Yes, MOVE!  Take a couple of handful of whinners with you please.  Free listings, no fees and all the wah wah? 
Old 03-05-2013, 03:46 AM
MassiveOverkill

ORIGINAL: sevoblast

I would say this is one of the better sights around, lots of knowledge and lots of help for all.

BigMig hit the nail on the head. Our hobby in general has had a rough time of it for the last 3 or 4 years. For ETO, January was the worst month we've had since February of '04. Don't worry, we'll not close, no chance of that, but tracking the business each month as I do shows the steady downward spiral since '10. To give you some perspective of how the hobby has evolved and grown, in February of '04 the entire line of Schumo parts for 1/16 would fit in two shoe boxes in multiples of each part with room left over. Heng Long was not here, Kenny Kong was making King Tiger and Bandai P4 tracks, Wecohe had just developed the Corleius Suspension, Tamiya transmissions were still mostly the original Type 1's and the Danville Battlefield was in its infancy.

I look at other forums from time to time and a point of note is there are not nearly the amount of builds going on now that there was even a year ago, let alone two or three years ago.

I expect to see some businesses fold this year, but then I've seen some fold in the best of times. I do shoot for the high end of quality parts, and I know that eventually all will return to normal. I have no idea when that will happen, but you can be sure ETO will be here.

As for other forums being better, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Yes, many have a different format and some are easier to use, but bottom line this forum has everyone, and except for the odd glitch everyone gets along pretty darned well. Oh yeah, and the photo problem is apparently solved. I posted a couple photos on the KV build thread this morning with zero problems. Last evening I got the 'error' message too.
I just started my own business selling Micro Quadcopters and business is booming. I thought aout expanding it to tanks and rekindle my initial passion, but Ithink I'll hold off. Sounds like we have enough qauality vendors. We almost went out of business last month, but due to being out of stock to Chinese New Year and Bank of China problems, not because of lack of demand. I like RCGroups moderation and structure better. Ifind RCU's moderation highly biased. This is the only sub forum that seems to be doing better than the RCGroups alternative. All the other sub forums on RCU are dead.

Good luck with business. I now know how tough it is.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:20 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some people here are somewhat overstating the case. RCU has had some big problems, but right now, apart from the image upload problem we had for the last couple of days (now fixed), the site is mostly working.

I don't know if many of you know, but RCU imploded a few years ago under its own weight, the software could no longer handle how big the site had become. In order to stay online, a large amount of patches and bits of code were tacked on, and it was decided to accept the problems that remained until such time as the software could be completely rebuilt and overhauled. These (ongoing) problems have resulted in the loss of a large number of members, sadly. I don't blame them.

The trouble is this was over 2 years ago and even we moderators haven't heard a thing, except that we should continue to be patient and that the new site will be better than ever.

I find that comment about moderating interesting, and I'm curious what makes you say that (moderating here is biased?), since I and one other are the only active car forums moderators for over a year now, and neither of us are biased in the slightest... I have no intention of starting anything here, I'd just like to know what you think we are biased toward? If we don't know what the problem is we can't fix it. Respond at your discretion.

By the way, I don't have mod privileges in the tanks forum, the tanks moderator logs in infrequently to take care of you guys from what I understand.

So yeh, moral of the story is that patience should be rewarded in the end as concerns RCU, however, there is no telling when the new changes may finally come.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:32 AM
MassiveOverkill

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Some people here are somewhat overstating the case. RCU has had some big problems, but right now, apart from the image upload problem we had for the last couple of days (now fixed), the site is mostly working.

I don't know if many of you know, but RCU imploded a few years ago under its own weight, the software could no longer handle how big the site had become. In order to stay online, a large amount of patches and bits of code were tacked on, and it was decided to accept the problems that remained until such time as the software could be completely rebuilt and overhauled. These (ongoing) problems have resulted in the loss of a large number of members, sadly. I don't blame them.

The trouble is this was over 2 years and even we moderators haven't heard a thing, except that we should continue to be patient.

I find that comment about moderating interesting, and I'm curious what makes you say that (moderating here is biased?), since I and one other are the only active car forums moderators for over a year now, and neither of us are biased in the slightest... I have no intention of starting anything here, I'd just like to know what you think we are biased toward? If we don't know what the problem is we can't fix it. Respond at your discretion.

By the way, I don't have mod privileges in the tanks forum, the tanks moderator logs in infrequently to take care of you guys from what I understand.
Sorry Foxy, I guess I shouldn't have generalized and no offense intended. I'll simply point my finger over to the boat forums.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:47 AM
Foxy

Ah, gotcha...I can count on one hand the number of times I've darkened their doorstep.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:03 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I tip my hat to the members of this forum. Moderation is almost non existant, and we police ourselves for the most part, and it has been working really well.

Re Business.

Tanks are very small market, and you have to be passionate about tanks to stay in it. You know how you end up with a million dollars catering to RC tanks..............start with two.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:37 AM
chris923
My Feedback: (53)

ORIGINAL: pmerritt

Yes, MOVE! Take a couple of handful of whinners with you please. Free listings, no fees and all the wah wah?
+1

RCU's buy/sell is the best.... unless you are into 3d or electric ( the other sites cater to these) RCU is the best for warbirds and all RC in general.

Even with the problems from time to time, it's still the best.

Chris923
Old 03-05-2013, 06:50 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: chris923

ORIGINAL: pmerritt

Yes, MOVE! Take a couple of handful of whinners with you please. Free listings, no fees and all the wah wah?
+1

RCU's buy/sell is the best.... unless you are into 3d or electric ( the other sites cater to these) RCU is the best for warbirds and all RC in general.

Even with the problems from time to time, it's still the best.

Chris923
This is the tanks forum dude, 3d tank flying? Now that I would like to see.

Also, you've quoted someone with a +1 then said the opposite to what they said. I take it you like RCU? This other fella you quoted is all for moving somewhere else!

Don't go yet guys, give us some more time to 'get things fixed'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.