Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Some more tank question,Upgrades,kits,clubs etc.

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Some more tank question,Upgrades,kits,clubs etc.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:57 AM
ProfitOfDoom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some more tank question,Upgrades,kits,clubs etc.

Im getting closer to ordering something,more than likely im going to go with a Tamiya kit "Or a good used one if I can find one" Id like to direct this question to club members.... I see most tank used are WWII ERA "as most kits are anyway" but kits like leopard dont seem to be to popular is that because its more on the modern side? If I happen to find a club would this Leopard a26 be kinda frowned upon?
I was also interested in the Sherman,They seemed like one of the cheaper kits. I was reading about them they dont mention too much about metal parts as the newer M51 Super Sherman does,Would the Super Sherman be a better buy? I guess that the super sherman would be considered on the modern side as well?

IM guessing for the price different of the sherman kits for that few hundred extra I could just upgrade the older sherman to metal.

My next question is on the gear reduction,most people say in stock form they move to quick and need the 3:1 gear reduction,I also read about people reducing the pinion size to slow it down,how do these compare?

Also if there any place in the US that sells tamiya metal upgrade parts? If you could post some links and im going to bookmark them so I can find them when im ready I guess if there isnt any in the US where is the best place to get metal tracks,wheels ,suspension arms,gear reduction etc with somewhat fast shipping. lol,I hate waiting on parts from overseas! I ordered some things before I think one was in hong kong and it wasnt too bad at around 2 weeks I got my item,,another time I ordered a small package of LED lights and took over a month! I guess it just depends on the seller.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:57 AM
Rebellion13

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: Some more tank question,Upgrades,kits,clubs etc.

http://www.etoarmor.com

Sevo (Robert) here on the forums would be your best bet. He is located overseas but yellowshaker (Joe) is his east coast distributer. Lots of tamiya parts. Oh and the original Sherman does not have recoil. And to change that you would need to get the Pershing electronics and recoil. Not sure about the Leo being frowned upon, but every club is different. Most people run WWII era tanks.

Cheers
Wade
Old 03-22-2013, 11:13 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

The Tamiya Sherman has all metal lower hull and suspension. A few upgrades are suggested, but even box stock out of the box he's a pretty durable tank and a good fighter. Many countries used the Sherm during the war, USA, Canada, UK, France and SSSR. Germany captured rather a lot of them also. He is listed as a medium, in other words 5 second reload time and 5 hits to kill.

Here's the link to my little shop, the Sherman section. Feel free to email or PM me if you have questions.

http://www.etoarmour.com/products.php?ViewCategory=11
Old 03-22-2013, 12:20 PM
edoubleaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

You can build a Tamiya Sherman OOB and it will run for quite a while before anything extra is "needed". I would recommend a bearing set for the bogies as I have driven my original Sherman for eight + years and the only change needed was new tracks after 7 years.... 50 battles.... 12 demonstrations...... I admit I did change the turret but as the running gear goes, accept no substitutes....

Old 03-22-2013, 02:40 PM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't be put off by the Tamiya Sherman's low price, it's one solid fighter right out of the box. Mine has been battling for almost 10 years now and it's survived some serious drops and mishaps, but still original, except a bearing or two and a gearbox (both from accidents). The electronics are all working beautifully.

The hull mold is from the 70s, the kit is an updated version from the 80s and the 105 doesn't have recoil, so it wasn't too expensive for them bring to market.

The M4 105 and their Tiger I (56010) are the cornerstones of RC tanking, you couldn't go wrong with either.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:02 PM
ProfitOfDoom

That sounds good,The bearing are they anything special as far as size is concerned,Could these be picked up from a local car rc shop?
Another thing is what is a cheap way to go to run these tanks as far as a radio goes? Would any cheap standard 4ch radio do the trick? I heard some people say get a DX6I "which I have" but are mods needed to be done to the radio in order to use it? If I end up getting two tank for now anyway I would want two radio,but if I decide to get many tanks for myself I would want the one radio with multiple model memory. Spectrum rx's could get pricey,how about these Turnigy/or flysky type radios,anyone use those?

Also could someone explain to me about the tamiya battle system,I looked and seen no vids of a installation,I see some tanks with led sensor clipped on the barrel and other tanks I see with the "Apple" on top but I dont see the led shooting sensor? Is there different ways to put these on,also how do you attach the mounting plate on the underside of the turret where the apple plugs in,do they just screw on and the tanks already have mounting holes for this or what? What is the accuracy on these,I mean like if you point the sensor right at the tank you should hit it,,but how sloppy can you get? Will it still make a hit on the tank if your sensor is pointed 3' to the right of the target,or do you have to be pretty much on target?
Old 03-22-2013, 05:20 PM
CHIEFSONN

The bearings can be bought on E-bay. Tamiya Tank parts Sherman Tiger I, II Panther etc.
The Tamiya battle unit is a plug and play. when you purchase the battle unit it will come with the mounting supports,the one for inside the turret and a attachment for the IR to mount onto the barrel.
There are three settings for the battle unit, the DMD unit located in side the tank.for 3,5,9 each number represents the time in seconds between each shot & the amount of shots to destroy the tank "allis kaput". when the tank gets hit the apple (sensor) will flash, and on its final hit the kill shot the apple will flash for a few seconds longer,shut down the tank then restart it. at this point before entering a new battle you need to turn the tank off at the switch and then restart it so the system DMD can reset itself for 0 hits.
The reason why you may not see the IR all the time on the barrel is that some of us place them inside the barrel,or in the mantel.In side the barrel allows you to place the tank behind a bush with the barrel sticking through and keeping the apple out of site so you don't tank a hit.
Welcome to the forum
feel free to ask questions.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:46 PM
ArmChairGeneral

I started with a HL but bought a Tam Sherman soon after, then a few more HL and Motorro, then a Tam King Tiger. You really can't go wrong with either, the Tam's were awesome and the HL's were fun to build up to good 1/16th RC tanks. There was definitely more excitement over the Tam's and the level of detail and build quality were awesome. I have 2 tams, 1 t-34 trumpeter, 1 motorro sturmtiger, and about 10 HL's. If you can afford it - get the Tam Sherm but next you should get a HL for the experience.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:51 PM
ProfitOfDoom

So if the tank has a DMD unit there is a place to plug it in,No matter the age of the tank?
Does the IR sensor flash like to simulate a canon blast? I only ask because I was reading the battle rules and regulation and one was that you must have a muzzle flash that can be seen 20" away or what ever it was. So I assume when people place them in the barrel,they are replacing the stock firing light in the canon with the IR light?
Also whats your opinion on the slop of the accuracy,need to be aimed right at it,,or anywhere in its general area will hit it?
Old 03-22-2013, 07:38 PM
ausf

The bearings can be bought at any RC car shop or from a specialty place like Boca bearing, you just need the dimensions, which means either buy the tank and measure or get an aftermarket kit.

The DX6i will work fine, it just doesn't have the self centering left stick, which may or may not bother you. I have the Futaba Attack series Tx's for my Tamiyas because that's what was around when I bought them. Now I have a DX6i for AC, so I use it with my other armor. The left stick does have drift, so it takes some getting used to, but it's not bad.

The Tammy flash is similiar to a camera flash, a very bright strobe. The IR can be tuned however accurate you want it by placement of the emitter, clubs have rules regarding it, but when I battle with my kids I tune them so you have to be pointed within the opponents hull @ 30'. In a club setting, the would probably make it too hard to be competitive.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:04 PM
ProfitOfDoom

Very good to hear!, Im glad it flashes as I would just want to mount it inside the barrel and I had no idea you could tune it!
Thanks so much for the info
Old 03-23-2013, 04:27 AM
ausf

By tuning it, I mean you can adjust the distance of it from the end of the barrel, essentially narrowing the beam. Clubs have rules for both tube diameter and distance to keep it fair, but I find it more fun pulling it back further, making it harder to hit an opponent. You can also change the emitter itself for differnt range and patterns as well as lighten the resistance for more range.

The flash and IR emitters are two different units. They can both be put in the barrel (IR should be the outermost) but again, different clubs have different rules of this, so you need to check.