Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Panzer IV Track & Sprocket

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Panzer IV Track & Sprocket

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 12:22 PM
mortak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Panzer IV Track & Sprocket

Question, how compatible are the Tamiya and HengLong Panzer IV tracks? I know the sprocket hole for the gearbox's are different (Tamiya has a double indent, the HL has the single indent) but was curious about track interchangeability.

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2013, 12:28 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Panzer IV Track & Sprocket

Tamiya sprocket and HL track on the Pz IV work fine, using it on a project I'm working on now.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:33 PM
mortak

tyvm! I thought this was true... picked up 2 HL tanks yesterday (pershing & bulldog really cheap... instore displays that were languishing ... ) now, I have nice plans for them (trying to stick with one type of gearbox). Already have names for them.... Maybelline Menance and Pimple.... I'll try to post as it goes along...
Old 03-27-2013, 05:09 PM
modeltank

http://mitosal.com/16t049.htm

recently used by one of our club guys, on his tamiya 1/16 PzIV.
We tried putting on HL's, except to remove about 9links, I think it is ok on HL's
Price wise, HL's tracks are still the cheapest in the market
Old 03-27-2013, 06:19 PM
TheBennyB

ORIGINAL: modeltank

http://mitosal.com/16t049.htm

Not sure what ur saying about the Impact track. Think he's trying to use stuff he's already got, or at the least use themore affordableHLtrack.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:33 PM
mortak

I don't think you can interchange sprockets (HL onto a tamiya gearbox) without some modification. Sorry for the confusion, but my goal is to use a tamiya gearbox, tamiya sprocket with HL p4 tracks that will be installed on the bulldog. Had planned on turning it into a M18.... and trying not to use the HL gearbox's..... fast as a cheetah until you recieve a couple of hits, then at that point, your movement makes slug racing look fun.

Also, found out that the Outer Diameter/Spurs on a HL pershing sprockets are the same as the Tamiya Sherman with the exception of the driveshaft hole/nut opening.... and the HL pershing tracks are a link or 2 longer than the sherman tracks..... The HL pershing had a cheaper plastic and a high amount of slop/wobble that was eliminated once I pressed in the side cleats ? 2mm on one side of the entire track and that seemed to eliminate the slop.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:46 PM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

I am not sure the HL/Mato metal tracks are less expensive? You can get a set of Impacts Panzer IV closed pin tracks for $98 v.s. $109 from Matomart. HL non-closed pin tracks can be found for a little less, $69 to $79. But again if you do not mine the non-scale open pin look they will work.[8D] All of them can be had for less, sometimes, on Ebay as well.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:19 PM
TheBennyB

ORIGINAL: MAUS45

I am not sure the HL/Mato metal tracks are less expensive? You can get a set of Impacts Panzer IV closed pin tracks for $98 v.s. $109 from Matomart. HL non-closed pin tracks can be found for a little less, $69 to $79. But again if you do not mine the non-scale open pin look they will work.[8D] All of them can be had for less, sometimes, on Ebay as well.
Yea, your talk'n metal. Think'n mortak wants to use metal tamiya sprocket with PLASTIC track. HL plastic Pz IV track is cheap and good. $100 vs $20 is a big difference.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:10 AM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

OK, I thought he was looking for metal track. Plastic is always going to be less expensive.[X(]