Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

HL Leopard

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 06:51 PM
Ronan87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HL Leopard

So i was checking out the HL Leopard... anyone has one of those? Anyone did some modding/etc on it?

I have been browsing a few forums... and i VERY rarely see it... it's always the same tanks poping up... M4, Tiger, King Tiger, Stug 3.

I'm craving some modern tanks for future builds... :P
Old 04-18-2013, 04:51 AM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: HL Leopard

Do you mean the Pershing, or the 'in the works' Leopard II?

Too many Leo's (naw, no such thing.. )
Old 04-18-2013, 07:09 AM
ssrc30

As far as I know, HL only makes a 1/24 Leo. Although I have heard that a 1/16 version is in the works. I sure wouldn't mind seeing an HL Abams and a Merkova in 1/16 too. I have the ZTZ-99/WST-123 on its way so those would be a nice addition to the lineup.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:26 AM
Ronan87

I thought this tank has been out for awhile:

Old 04-18-2013, 09:11 AM
ssrc30

ORIGINAL: Ronan87

I thought this tank has been out for awhile:

[img][/img]
Interesting. Thanks for the link. I wasn't aware they actually had one on their site. Must not be available in Canada yet as I haven't seen it on the Mat site. Again, thanks for the info.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:22 AM
Ronan87

I have seen that image there for MONTHS... i just figured it's been out for quite sometime but just not popular...
Old 04-18-2013, 09:44 AM
ssrc30

I wouldn't know. You would think a Leo would sell like crazy. I wonder if they are just advertising because it is ready for distribution? Maybe it's only available in China right now? Either way, I am glad to see another modern tank coming out in 1/16 scale. The larger size will give people tons of room for modifications.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:46 AM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

The LEO II has been shown on the websites since last year, & the real tank was unveiled at the 2013 Nuremberg Toy Fair (along with the Challenger II, T34/85) where a user called Tigertiki had posted a bunch of pictures of some of the new & rumored tanks coming out. This was discussed in the Heng Long Rumor Mill (here) discussion thread, & the pictures & links were shared.

The LEO II is probably destined to show up some time this year, but have not seemed to be released to the public yet, so that's why no forums have discussions or people posting any pictures of their new LEO II just yet. Patience ... it is coming!

~ Craig ~
Old 04-18-2013, 09:53 AM
ssrc30

Thanks for that, Craig. Gives us something to look forward to. It's nice to have something other than WW2 tanks to add to our collections that wont cost us a grand. I saw a full metal Merkava on Youtube this morning and when I went to the site to check one out, it was $1700USD. Suffice to say I was heartbroken...
Old 04-18-2013, 10:01 AM
Ronan87

Ahhh that explains it... Thanks!
Old 04-18-2013, 10:08 AM
ssrc30

What is gonna be interesting to see is what happens "when" HL switches over to all full metal tanks. They have said that eventually they plan to do that. Question is... Will they jack up the price and use decent materials? Will they use cheaper materials and keep the price the same? Or will they still sell plastic tanks at awesome prices and offer the full metal versions as well? I just hope they don't make the mistake of putting their products out of the price range for those of us that tank on a budget.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:45 AM
Bagheera

forget where I've read it but the HL 1/16 Leopard ll is coming out in June and I can't wait.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:17 AM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

ORIGINAL: ssrc30

What is gonna be interesting to see is what happens "when" HL switches over to all full metal tanks. They have said that eventually they plan to do that. Question is... Will they jack up the price and use decent materials? Will they use cheaper materials and keep the price the same? Or will they still sell plastic tanks at awesome prices and offer the full metal versions as well? I just hope they don't make the mistake of putting their products out of the price range for those of us that tank on a budget.
Just my opinion, but the only way I see them abandoning plastic tanks, is if they get out of making tanks altogether, which would mean no metal tanks either. I would be interested in knowing where you got that (rumor?) tidbit of information about them switching over to only metal tanks. That sounds very odd & would be a completely insane idea. Not sure an all metal tank worth it's weight to use for RC, will be anything short of about the $499+ range, so I don't see a way they could make full metal tanks in the same price range they currently have their plastic ones, & they would lose way too much business if they only offered selling much more expensive full metal tanks without having their widely sold & distributed plastic tanks still on the market.

I see them doing what they do now, selling plastic tanks under their own brand name & having co-operative companies like Mato sell metal parts & the all metal tank lines.

~ Craig ~

Old 04-18-2013, 12:12 PM
ssrc30

I believe it was on one of the descriptions I read on the Matomart website, possibly for the full metal Tiger 1. I do agree though, a full metal tank just doesn't seem practical to me either. Might make a nice display piece but I wouldn't take one to a game.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:24 PM
ssrc30

http://www.matomart.com/prodview.php?p=1170

There's the link to where they say they will be moving into the metal tank market.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:38 PM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

ORIGINAL: ssrc30

http://www.matomart.com/prodview.php?p=1170

There's the link to where they say they will be moving into the metal tank market.
That specific link didn't work for me.

I have read on the PZ III metal tank page the below Mato comment, if this is what you are referring to ...
"We will slowly move to the Metal Tank market, and are currently taking suggestions on what tank to create next! Ideas? Thoughts? Suggestions? Please contact us. We are service of you anytime."

Mato has had a couple all metal Heng Long tank offerings in the market for a while, the PZ III & Tiger I, so that isn't really big news in of itself. Remember, this is Mato, so even if they decided to move strictly to metal tanks, it wouldn't affect Heng Long's decision to keep selling their plastic tanks. Besides, I really don't read into that above statement that they are switching from plastic to metal tanks, just that they will continue to add more metal tank offerings of the same popular plastic tank models they already sell, but at a slow pace & according to customer demands.

~ Craig ~

Old 04-18-2013, 04:52 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mato is manufacturing Metal tanks , not Heng Long. The price for these metal tanks is in the $500 range with no electronics.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:05 PM
FreakyDude

Back to the Leopard     I have a ship date on this tank and orders buuutttt I am not holding my breath here. Anybody can say what they want but I have yet to see the boxes at my door with Leopard stamped on them.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:27 PM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's on my want list, for sure. We have a couple at the club here, and they perform awesome (Tamiya ones, that is)

IMO the best looking modern tank out there, and arguably the best performing. I'd probably make a Canadian Afghanistan version, like Wayne did. I love that look.

....hmmm.. HL Leo... Metal drive units... tracks..? Clark board... Waltersons with the high-speed pinion (Who wants a slow Leo??).... This could be interesting.

ANYHOOO, my biggest tank gripe is the lack of 'upgrade' metal LOWER hulls... as stated above full metal tanks are not suited for battling or heavy modifications. I'm not a millwright :P A Leo metal lower (basically a Tamiya lower, i suppose) from asiatam / Taigen would have me throwing my money at them ASAP