Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

WOW.... 32+ Tankers from 10 states enjoyed the 10th Aniversary of the AAF Tank Mus. RC Battlefield

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

WOW.... 32+ Tankers from 10 states enjoyed the 10th Aniversary of the AAF Tank Mus. RC Battlefield

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 05:01 PM
Green Amphibian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WOW.... 32+ Tankers from 10 states enjoyed the 10th Aniversary of the AAF Tank Mus. RC Battlefield

Bob, are you trying to say I'm a bit "old fashioned?" LOL, I guess I am now that I think about it!

Herman
Old 05-02-2013, 01:19 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: WOW.... 32+ Tankers from 10 states enjoyed the 10th Aniversary of the AAF Tank Mus. RC Battlefield

Sorry Guys I will not be making it. The company I work for got sold about 1 month ago, and I have a lot of HR issues to deal with for myself and staff. I have some meetings that have been scheduled the end of next week, and my time is going to be eaten up until the close date of Aug1. Maybe later this summer. I have had to reschedule my July vacation as well because of this and mother is not very happy, although she cancelled on my planned May trip to Danville earlier. So I guess we are even.

Taking a couple of days off the end of this week to make up for the vacation days I have to be back in the office for next week.

Darn glad I didn't book those United tickets a couple of days ago. I would really be mad if I was out $1400 too.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:03 PM
thecommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Green Amphibian

Bob, are you trying to say I'm a bit ''old fashioned?'' LOL, I guess I am now that I think about it!

Herman
YES. I am. But that is what I like about you Herman. Since I am old-fashioned myself.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21869.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	1878352  
Old 05-02-2013, 03:06 PM
thecommander

Sorry to hear it Dan....we were looking forward to seeing you again. Plan now for November at the very least...ok pal.

Name:	Wu60994.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	1878353  
Old 05-02-2013, 03:36 PM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

When in November?

I might be able to pull off a trip back east by then. The wife would love to vist Willamsburg so I could use that as an excuse to get my son and I to Danville. From here they look close together.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:57 PM
Green Amphibian

The Nov. battles will be on the 8th, 9th, and 10th. I hope you can make it.

Herman
Old 05-02-2013, 05:56 PM
DJLaPalme

Well, it looks like I will be able to attend this one. Seems like forever since I have been to Danville. Looking forward to it. Dennis
Old 05-02-2013, 06:52 PM
Green Amphibian

Great to hear that Dennis. It has been awhile.

Herman
Old 05-02-2013, 10:58 PM
White Tiger88

Ugh.....you Americans need to come up to Canada some time and push RC tanks in general that field of yours looks amazing though......(ugh might tempt me once i get one up and running to pay you a vist!, Mind you if you have any REAL german tanks kicking around i would even more so interested :P)
Old 05-03-2013, 03:22 AM
DaveBcool

The Museum has over 100 vehicles, including a Panzer IV.

Name:	Jh16036.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	565.5 KB
ID:	1878619  
Old 05-03-2013, 03:27 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

RC tankers kind of have tunnel vision when they think of Danville. Great RC tank Battlefield. The thing that surprised me when I got there, was the size of the place, and all the real hardware they had on display.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:13 AM
Green Amphibian

The museum is quite large and enormously educational to everyone that visits. Most of the time I spend there is at the RC field and I don't get to wander around as much as I would like to.

Herman
Old 05-03-2013, 11:56 AM
thecommander

ORIGINAL: YHR

RC tankers kind of have tunnel vision when they think of Danville. Great RC tank Battlefield. The thing that surprised me when I got there, was the size of the place, and all the real hardware they had on display.
Picture it...MORE than a third of a MILLION square feet. It is cavernous. WHEN you do make it I will see if I can get you some one on one time with the Panzer IV.

You guys owe me....I have been up to your field....LOL.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:55 PM
CustomRCmodels

ORIGINAL: thecommander

All RC tankers wherever you are, are invited to Danville for the AAF Tank Museums 10th Aniversary of the RC battlefield. This will be a huge 3 day event starting Friday morning May 10th and going thru to Sunday afternoon May 12th, 2013.

Whether you were there "way back when...", or are a "Danville regular" (AKA Lifer) or even if you have never been there before... YOU are invited to our 10th Aniversay celebration and battleweekend next month. Your RC tank brothers from NEAD and HEAT will be running this event which is in lieu of the sorely missed Extravaganza. This will be the largest RC tank event at Danville for the year. The November event is the second largest but that is a long way off. So quit putting it off and pull that trigger. Buddy up and drive together in a carpool, fly in, paddle a canoe, take the train, hitch-hike, bum a ride, or parachute in.....just come to the 10 Aniversay and see for yourself all that has been going on there for 10 years. Quit taking it for granted that it will be there forever and take advantage of the fact that the only indoor RC tank battlefield in within your reach. It is well worth the trip.

I am also asking you RCU guys to post some photos of the battlefield thru the years (the older the better) so we can all see the results of the hard work and thousands of dollars in improvements that have contributed to the unending improvement of the battelfield for a decade. Thanks to ALL the volunteers who have given so much to refine it to the finest RC tank battlefield anywhere. Here are some pix of my first Tamiya battletank (A used $500 Tiger I back in 2006) and my laughably bare and barren workbench in 2007.

The Commander's money back guarentee!!!
If any first time tanker at this event can look me in the face and tell me he didn't have the great time at Danville that day...I will personally refund him his admission cost.

I don't know what else I can do to entice you guys to join us other than picking you up at your house....LOL. Although I have picked up tankers at their local hotels who fly to Danville before.

Don't miss out again, Come join us, Bob & Dana

PS WOW, Ironically, this is my 2000th post on RCU. Thanks to all my tank forum buddies for your generous camaraderie and kind words through the years.

I should have chimed in on this much sooner , but just way to much going on .

Between working on new gear-boxes for our tanks , ( some real cool stuff ! )

fixing my buddies tanks and trucks ,

and dealing with the everyday’s-stuff on the home-front ,

I need to work once in a while too , Lol , not to mention my own projects I have cooking.

<o></o>

I do have a fairly good collection on photos and videos from the start in 2003 .

To much to post it all here , so links will have to do .

I been working on to compile all this in one section , for easier viewing ,

since its clutter all over my website , but its not complied yet .

After all in 10 years a lot has happened and my website has grown to a monster .

But go ahead and check out this section :

<o>http://customrcmodels.com/aaftankmuseum/</o>

It also includes info’s about the Museum itself ,

and an interactive map which can be used to figured out travel-time and distance

<o></o>

I hope to see a bunch of you guys next weekend

<o></o>

Safe traveling to every one

Old 05-04-2013, 03:53 AM
Glen B

Can't make it.

One of our company facilities has a maintenance shutdown that starts that week end.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:52 PM
thecommander

Thanks for the link Willy. It is great....

ORIGINAL: Glen B

Can't make it.

One of our company facilities has a maintenance shutdown that starts that week end.
Sorry to hear it Glen. But I hope to see you in November. Or sooner.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:07 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Picked up 2 more 5000 batteries yesterday at the LHS.

Still hope we can make it.

~ Jeff
Old 05-06-2013, 01:04 PM
thecommander

We are all charging batteries and packing... the trip is drawing near. The weather is looking good for traveling.

Helpful Hint: Whenever you buy a new battery label it with you name and the date of purchase. You will lose few batteries at large events and when a batch of batteries starts to go bad you will know to double check the other batts of the same vintage.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:31 PM
Panther F

ORIGINAL: thecommander

We are all charging batteries and packing... the trip is drawing near. The weather is looking good for traveling.

Helpful Hint: Whenever you buy a new battery label it with you name and the date of purchase. You will lose few batteries at large events and when a batch of batteries starts to go bad you will know to double check the other batts of the same vintage.

Waaay ahead of you as it's not my first rodeo. I carpet raced a long time ago as well as boats too.

~ Jeff
Old 05-07-2013, 04:45 AM
dlobmwm3
My Feedback: (2)

Who is wanting to get some World of Tank rounds in the evenings this weekend?
Old 05-07-2013, 05:45 AM
Rustytrax

FYI NiMh batteries lose 15% of their charge in the first 24hrs then they become more stable.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:03 AM
Panther F

ORIGINAL: Rustytrax

FYI NiMh batteries lose 15% of their charge in the first 24hrs then they become more stable.

What brand are you experiencing this with OR, where did you learn about it?

I haven't seen that yet.

~ Jeff
Old 05-07-2013, 08:21 AM
Panther F

I did get the Pershing back together now, all oiled up and charging some batteries too. Next, the Sherman. Think that's all I am bringing.

Not that I am going to use it but what AA batteries is everyone using? I grabbed some Energizer advanced LITHIUM batteries, advertised to last 6X longer... but in digital cameras. I figured they didn't have as much draw in a transmitter than in a camera.

I can't wait to get EVERYTHING in 2.4GHz

~ Jeff
Old 05-08-2013, 05:37 AM
Rustytrax

I learned about this from a class I took some time ago. Interesting how what appears to be worthless info at the time turns out to be useful. I work in the rugged portable computer industry.

I did find a few example on the interwebs "NiMH also has high self-discharge and loses about 20 percent of its capacity within the first 24 hours, and 10percent per month thereafter." http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries

"
The significant disadvantage of NiMH batteries is the high rate of self-discharge; NiMH batteries lose up to 20% of their charge on the first day and up to 4% per day of storage after that. In 2005, a low self-discharge (LSD) variant was developed. LSD NiMH batteries significantly lower self-discharge, but at the cost of lowering capacity by about 20%." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel%...ydride_battery

As for AA batteries I just use Ray O Vac or Duracell. They seem to last forever in the 2.4 controllers.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:11 AM
Dana Lowell

RC Tank rule of thumb: "ABC = Always Be Charging!"
    [*]Charge all batteries before leaving home.
    [*]Always charge batteries during the battle weekend.
    [*]Print your name on all your batteries to avoid confusion. The workbenches will be crowded!
    [*]Try to replace Tamiya connectors because they fail with heavy use. Buy Dean's or other pro racing connectors.
    [*]Avoid charging batteries inside your tank. This only puts your tank out of action. Buy or borrow spare batteries.
    [*]Buy (or borrow) a battery tester. And remember, it's not just peak voltage that is important, but capacity remaining.
    [*]Use a battery discharger if possible, so partial charging will not cause poor "battery memory" problems.
    [*]Use labels or rubber bands to mark your spare batteries with either "Empty" or "Full". Confuse them = die in battle!
    [*]Remember to purchase spare AA batteries if your Tx uses them.
    [*]Unplug all chargers when away from the museum at mealtime or overnight, for safety.[*]Karen sells excellent high-capacity battery packs in the museum PX. You can't beat her prices, so bring some cash.[/list]See "y'all" there! -Dana

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.