Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya Tiger upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 07:10 PM
Love To build
My Feedback: (30)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tamiya Tiger upgrades

Yes It's me again. Worknig on part fit and finish on the Elefant. My next Tank in the build line up is the Tamiya Tiger 1. Are there any must have upgrades to repair known problems with this kit. I hear it is pretty good kit, but want any problematic issues addressed as I build it. I heard the idler setup is weak for one. I put a stiffener for the transmissioins on the Sherman, Will I need one here? Any suggestions will be appreciated. I want to hear all areas of concern. Also any commonly lost parts(that fall off or breakoff after a battle) To get stock of replacement parts.

Thanks for any input.

Bill
Old 04-27-2013, 08:13 PM
Shark27

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Tamiya Tiger upgrades

Bill, 
Here is a link to my Tiger I build I did a couple of years ago, http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10..._1/key_/tm.htm  some of the upgrades I did were to improve some components, some were cosmetic. The idler setup is a good place to start as well as the metal elevation arm and the stiffener for the gearboxes. I came up with my own solution for stiffening the chassis as you will see in the build.

As far as parts falling off I would say the only really vulnerable parts are the rear fenders, side fenders and the exhaust shields. I haven't had any problems with them myself , but those are the parts your likely to hit driving around in a battle with scenery like at Danville. I don't have the rear fenders mounted on mine, I broke one of the hinges just by handling the tank!

Bob at ETO Armor has most all the upgrades that are available for the Tiger I. http://www.etoarmour.com/products.php?ViewCategory=10

Have Fun!

Steve

Old 04-28-2013, 04:41 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

The original kit had a plastic barrel that you had to deal with.

I would say that this kit is pretty much okay BUT, it will be a bit fast out of the box so at least some motors and pinions or some geardowns will help.

And most certainly needed if you plan to battle it.

~ Jeff
Old 04-28-2013, 06:18 AM
Rustytrax

Just adding to the above, I would say a must is the metal replacement elevation arm.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:40 AM
modeltank

metal barrel elevator arm is free ......but only when metal track is purchased at mitosal
Old 04-28-2013, 06:53 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rustytrax

Just adding to the above, I would say a must is the metal replacement elevation arm.

Yup... that is a given. It's plastic so it needs to go.

Also an inexpensive option is the gearbox mounting plate that Daryl Turner makes. This gets rid of the stand-off mounts and adds a little rigidity to the lower hull. Cut from aluminum... all my tanks and serious competitive tanks have them.

Also, if you have had any dealing with a clutch-type gear going bad (and gluing isn't your bag) look into replacing them NOW with the blue gears. This will save you from having to tear down your tank later on. Although you do loose a little safety precaution with the clutch (especially getting the barrel hung up in a branch) these won't fail on you later down the road.

You can go crazy with all sorts of items and issues, just depends on what you're going to do with the tank!

~ Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21810.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	1876720   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50970.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	1876721