Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

CENTURION !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 07:58 AM
Rex Ross

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default CENTURION !!!!!

Or at least I think it kinda looks like one ............ I started to build an Israeli SH'ot Centurion, but there are just too many Centurion variations to chose from, and I'm not really sure which one I ended up building. I think I built a Mark 5 (by accident) more than any other type. My thought was/is to build a lower hull first, which is common for all variations. That way I could build whatever Centurion upper hull and turret that I wanted. Also, some had sand skirts and some didn't, so I did skirts that are built to be easily removed.

This is my hammer and hacksaw result. I was thinking of equipping it with a Tamiya battle unit, but the cost of doing that is a definite budget buster for me at this time ....... or at any time! I was thinking of stealing the MFU out of my Pershing, but that unit has developed some faults so that it out of the picture. I think I am going to build some kind of a chain or belt drive because there is no way a normal gear box can be installed. No room for it because the axles are too close to the inside walls. Maybe a worm drive is possible. Or maybe something like the exterior gear train on the real thing !!!

The track is what I had in my junk box. It is from the old Chicago International M1 Abrams. I think I'm going to replace it with track from an HL Panther, which looks more like the real Centurion track.

I guess I could always claim that the old Chicago Abrams rubber band track is a prototype tread design that was being tested and evaluated for effectiveness on desert sand, on the rocky Golan Heights, and for the amphibious Centurion that was to be used for crossing the Suez Canal. The amphibious Centurion is the one that had 30 empty 50 gallon drums duct taped to it.

I would like to hear from all of the Centurion experts out there. If there are some really horrible unforgivable blunders here ..... tell me. Let's have fun with this Hammer and Hacksaw effort at what I think was one of the best tanks ever built.

When I decided to do a Centurion, I did a Google search for the Centurion and came up with a number of reference sites, and all of them were really good. But there was a lack of close up detail photos that I wanted. I forgot about the Prime Portal website, and I remembered that reference site when I was kinda done with the lower hull. Prime Portal has incredible reference walk arounds for the Centurion series, especially the turret. The turret has as much detail work to do as the lower hull. It was a real challenge, but this model has turned out to be a labor of love ..... or at least a labor of really passionate like a lot.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25693.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	1878714   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11417.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	1878715   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85767.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	1878716   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax73165.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	1878717   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10279.jpg
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	1878718   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27235.jpg
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	1878719   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12403.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	1878720   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57184.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	1878721  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64571.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	1878722   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42334.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	1878723   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64817.jpg
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	1878724   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55101.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	1878725  
Old 05-03-2013, 08:05 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: CENTURION !!!!!

YESYESYES! I hoped you would do one of these at some point and it doesnt disapoint!!! I hope you manage to get it rc'ed. Christian has had some work getting outdrives to work, maybe you could use a tamiya pershing style setup?
Old 05-03-2013, 08:08 AM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't care if it's spot on or not, that's simply one awesome looking tank you built there Rex!!!

Will be eye-candy to see this a fully working RC'ed tank ... hope you get it done without too much trouble.

~ Craig ~
Old 05-03-2013, 08:08 AM
Ronan87

lol that's insane...!!!
Old 05-03-2013, 08:32 AM
mustclime

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was looking at the site fordetails.....hasaa good walk around of a mark 6

http://www.primeportal.net/tanks/rob....6_105mm_l7a1/

and a mk 5

http://www.primeportal.net/tanks/dar...enturion_mk_5/

and another mk 5

http://www.primeportal.net/tanks/bri...nturion_mk5_1/

here is the armor page....good site imo

http://www.primeportal.net/the_battlefield_armor.htm

Ilike the tank a lot.....very well done.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:58 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Hammer and chisel, huh? Looks so good a caveman could have done it!

So... is it RC ready? Would you sell it? If it is already for RC, a trade maybe?

~ Jeff
Old 05-03-2013, 11:18 AM
Rex Ross

Thanks to all for the kind comments ..........

I spent every day in the month of April on this tank. One of them was a 14 hour day. The others were just 8 or 10 hours worth of fooling around with it. Considering the mistakes I made that had to be done over, I feel like I built it twice. I received the r/c gear that I needed last week, thanks to a fellow Kellys Heroes club member who did some spring cleaning from his stash. It will at least get to be a basic runner with turret rotation. I have a plan for a drive unit that will resemble the real thing. It will be some gears in a housing on the outside of the body at the rear. The rear axle inside is too close to the lower hull walls to have clearance for the tranny gears. It a project that really interests me.

Name:	Fd92045.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	1878751   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59910.jpg
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	1878752  
Old 05-03-2013, 11:52 AM
bigfiver69

That just looks dandy!! Amazing job.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:40 PM
Rebellion13

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Rex, I have always admired the Centurion. And I absolutely love your build. This was one of my future to do list builds. Far far in the future build lol. Awesome job.

Cheers
Wade
Old 05-03-2013, 02:05 PM
Martellus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always love seeing your posts, and this one was no exception.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:45 PM
White Tiger88

So awesome..........
Old 05-03-2013, 05:05 PM
RC19

Rex Great job as usual .
Old 05-03-2013, 05:23 PM
mcovalsk

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Who cares if you made a mistake or not, to be frank never I would compare it with a walk around. This is an awesome pice of love and must be admired as is. Just I would like you could make copies and sell them, but I guess is not your league. Awesome in my word for your work.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:30 PM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Wow Rex, that is amazing. Make a mold of it and sell me a copy.

I look forward to pictures of it painted.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:03 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

yet another Masterpeice you're the best Rex Ross this tank is amazing
Old 05-04-2013, 05:45 AM
Rex Ross

ORIGINAL: Pah co chu puk

Wow Rex, that is amazing. Make a mold of it and sell me a copy.

I look forward to pictures of it painted.
~~~~~~~~

I wish I could produce copies of a Centurion. If I was 34 instead of 74, I might seriously think about doing some kind of a workable kit or basic model. I built this tank as a 74th birthday present to myself (April 21), but I missed that completion date due to doctors appointments and a couple of days in the hospital. But everything is ok again.

Two things seemed to take forever to do. The engine deck and the turret. I have no patience for detail work.

This tank is going to get a "Sinai Desert" paint job with Israeli markings from one of the many disagreements they have had with their Arab neighbors. To me, a Centurion in any other paint color just doesn't look right. Here's a photo of part of the crew.

Name:	Lj23679.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	1878993  
Old 05-04-2013, 06:03 AM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We share a birthday!

I'm always impressed with your work, maybe in a few decades I'll be able to reproduce your quality :P
Old 05-04-2013, 06:07 AM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rex Ross

ORIGINAL:I look forward to pictures of it painted.
~~~~~~~~
This tank is going to get a "Sinai Desert" paint job with Israeli markings from one of the many disagreements they have had with their Arab neighbors. To me, a Centurion in any other paint color just doesn't look right. Here's a photo of part of the crew.
Now I realy look forward to pictures of it painted.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:58 AM
Rex Ross

ORIGINAL: Strato50

We share a birthday!

I'm always impressed with your work, maybe in a few decades I'll be able to reproduce your quality :P
~~~~~~~

Hey! Happy Birthday to us ........ I started scratchbuilding about 20 years ago. Here is a photo of my very first scratchbuild. It has taken me all this time to get to this point in this hobby. Just start small and keep trying. I retired in 2001 and building is great fun for me. That's about all I do. My kids think I'm nuts, over the hill and need a private duty nurse. No argument there.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Name:	Ki20411.jpg
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	1879008  
Old 05-04-2013, 08:53 AM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

~~~~~~~

Hey! Happy Birthday to us ........ I started scratchbuilding about 20 years ago. Here is a photo of my very first scratchbuild. It has taken me all this time to get to this point in this hobby. Just start small and keep trying. I retired in 2001 and building is great fun for me. That's about all I do. My kids think I'm nuts, over the hill and need a private duty nurse. No argument there.

Hey Rex, what tank does that strange hatch in your picture belong??? Because I would think it too easy to drop a grenade down into the tank with it having that long odd tube attached to it. lol

~ Craig ~

Old 05-04-2013, 09:37 AM
Rex Ross

ORIGINAL: B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

~~~~~~~

Hey Rex, what tank does that strange hatch in your picture belong??? Because I would think it too easy to drop a grenade down into the tank with it having that long odd tube attached to it. [img][/img] lol

~ Craig ~

~~~~~

That hatch is mounted on a latrine bucket. It is for use during very windy days to prevent peeing on your boots or the guy next to you. Just stand up close and insert your drain pipe.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:35 AM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

~~~~~

That hatch is mounted on a latrine bucket. It is for use during very windy days to prevent peeing on your boots or the guy next to you. Just stand up close and insert your drain pipe.
LOL, nice one ... but shucks Rex, you know that just plain takes all the fun out of peeing on windy days & on the guy next to you !!!

I'm starting to get embarrassed by taking such a classy thread off in such a crass direction ... last comment, I promise ... that was a fine "P-hatch", errr, I meant fine mortar you made there Rex!

Back to the topic now ... just want to add that I anxiously await to see pictures of your Centurion all painted!

~ Craig ~

Old 05-04-2013, 12:48 PM
Rex Ross

ORIGINAL: B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

~~~~~

LOL, [img][/img] nice one ... but shucks Rex, you know that just plain takes all the fun out of peeing on windy days & on the guy next to you !!! [img][/img]

[img][/img] I'm starting to get embarrassed by taking such a classy thread off in such a crass direction ... last comment, I promise ... that was a fine ''P-hatch'', errr, I meant fine mortar you made there Rex! [img][/img]

Back to the topic now ... just want to add that I anxiously await to see pictures of your Centurion all painted!

~ Craig ~

Craig You can gosh darn well wait until I get good and ready to paint it. And don't try to change this latrine thread either .... I ain't done yet!

After that latrine mortar is loaded with a powder charge, all ya gotta do is drop a deuce in it and get the heck outa the way. It's better than when a deuce hits the fan.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:43 PM
Green Amphibian

Your crew is over dressed for this thread now!

Herman
Old 05-05-2013, 07:28 AM
Rex Ross

Which machine gun is more appropriate for this tank? The .50 cal Browning M2 or the .303 cal Bren Gun?

Name:	Vt57967.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	1879344   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36365.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	1879345  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.