Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya tiger Killer

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 09:52 PM
no12skyline

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tamiya tiger Killer

ORIGINAL: Ronan87

Nope. Tamiya Kt is over a grande after shipping, taxes and duty here.

Im at just over 650 with Walterson KT, torro metal hull, metal track, Walterson 3:1, TK22 and a radio system.

How? Buying within Canada, and buying smartly.

oh and that includes all the metal accessories for a tank that's better than a stock tamiya KT.
There was a Norwegian guy that was on here some time back with exactly the same grouse as you - that he couldn't get a cheap enough Tamiya to match his expectations of performance in comparison to the alternatives.

My take is that the price disparity only applies to certain countries - other countries like the US have better pricing that brings this margin down, and it is from this POV that people are commenting. Its just your bad luck that you aren't in a position to get a cheaper Tamiya.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:56 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Danville is a great place to go. People should not think otherwise.

They go to the trouble of certifying tank's IR systems, and check the speed, meaning that once the battling starts everyone is or could be on a level playing field. If your tank is slow and heavy, well guess what, you are going to get lit up, but you will be getting beat by someone who has a tank you know is capable of being hit from 30 meters.

To me this is important. As Rey mentioned if someone shows up with a Taigen sensor that can only accept hits within 3 m then the tank battling concept goes south in a hurry. Not much fun blasting away at a tank that just marches up oblivious of hits , and takes you out. What I liked about Danville was the structure and the rules to certify that the IR systems fell into the standard.

No need to bad mouth Danville. The people I met were friendly and welcoming of my non Tamiya tanks. However I was ill prepared to be competitive. That was not Danville or the other participants fault. That was me coming with ill prepared IR battle tanks for the environment they were expected to battle in. It didn't make the experience any less fun, and it taught me what I needed to bring to be competitive at that venue. Nothing wrong with that. It is nice to know what to expect when you spend time and money getting to a place. I am betting that the guys who stay IR tank battling will at some point determine that rules governing equipment is not such a bad idea.

Without rules building a Tamiya killer is easy, $1.99 on a can of black spray paint and a 10 second blast aimed at your own apple will do the trick.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:43 AM
White Tiger88

Wait if they slow down the fast tanks & so on does that mean an All Metal Tiger or Kv-1 would basicly have the same odds as a plastic in a battle?
Old 05-10-2013, 02:49 AM
cleong

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

Does Danville permit IR emitters installed into the gun muzzle?

Old 05-10-2013, 03:12 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: White Tiger88

Wait if they slow down the fast tanks & so on does that mean an All Metal Tiger or Kv-1 would basicly have the same odds as a plastic in a battle?
You misunderstand. They try to get tanks as close to scale speed as possible, not all tank ls are the same speed. So a say an m41 will be faster than a Jagdtiger. The whole metal plastic thing is a matter of situation. If your talking top end battling Danville style then you want an optimised tank, meaning mechanical parts that require extra strength to be metal but bits that dont require it to not be. Like in most sports you want something light and strong. However unless your going for an out and out battler I would not do this.

There's a difference between a good battler and good scale runner. I like my tanks to drive like tanks and not f1 cars, so metal tracks, low ratio tus and maybe metal wheels. All backed up with bearings (if I can afford) and decent idler adjusters.

I think this is the aspect where an upgraded tank can be better than an out thé box Tamiya as opposed to an top end battler. Make no mistake though you can bring a henglong up to this competitive standard but takes more than a lot of metal parts! (check out any of Nigel's builds on rctankregiment.com for good examples of this6.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:22 AM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: reyemmanuel

My humble opinion is that the title line is most likely true, based on my personal experience in battling in (tami Tiger) and against a tamiya (KTwith Clark-Benedini_HLIR receiver).

Indeed this tank is a Tamiya Tiger Killer- as it is using a less sensitive IR receiver- (HL Receiver).

It could put hits on a Tami 25 m away and not be hit by the Tami. The Tami needs to close to about 3 m to even get a sure shot on this Hybrid Tiger. By that time, the Tami Tiger could have already incurred at least 6 hits (more if the Tami has DDG). At 3 m, this hybrid could KO the Tiger and live with at least 6 more hit points to go.

cheers,
Rey

That's not entirely true. We did some range testing with the HL / Taigen sensor on a Clark powered KT, and it took hits just fine.

Minus the 45 degree defense the standard Tammy sensor has, and it's actually quite vulnerable.

Anyhoo, our last 2 meets I've been fielding a Clark KV-2 & Sherman with my new Tamiya sensor (thank you sassgrunt!), and I've found that if I take advantage of 45 degree defense, etc, I can easily dominate the DBCs, SLUs and HL-sensor'd tanks. I choose not too in the interest of fairness.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:56 AM
Buckeye36
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Emitters in the barrel are OK in Danville, that's where most of mine are
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11847.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	1880737  
Old 05-10-2013, 05:38 AM
heavyaslead

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Speed does kill at Danville

Even a Heavy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkoVi7TeL8o
Old 05-10-2013, 06:08 AM
YHR

ORIGINAL: Strato50

ORIGINAL: reyemmanuel

My humble opinion is that the title line is most likely true, based on my personal experience in battling in (tami Tiger) and against a tamiya (KTwith Clark-Benedini_HLIR receiver).

Indeed this tank is a Tamiya Tiger Killer- as it is using a less sensitive IR receiver- (HL Receiver).

It could put hits on a Tami 25 m away and not be hit by the Tami. The Tami needs to close to about 3 m to even get a sure shot on this Hybrid Tiger. By that time, the Tami Tiger could have already incurred at least 6 hits (more if the Tami has DDG). At 3 m, this hybrid could KO the Tiger and live with at least 6 more hit points to go.

cheers,
Rey

That's not entirely true. We did some range testing with the HL / Taigen sensor on a Clark powered KT, and it took hits just fine.

Minus the 45 degree defense the standard Tammy sensor has, and it's actually quite vulnerable.

Anyhoo, our last 2 meets I've been fielding a Clark KV-2 & Sherman with my new Tamiya sensor (thank you sassgrunt!), and I've found that if I take advantage of 45 degree defense, etc, I can easily dominate the DBCs, SLUs and HL-sensor'd tanks. I choose not too in the interest of fairness.

The Taigen sensor(Blue) I have been told is much worse then the HL sensor. I don't know this myself , but was told by someone who runs both. I thought they were the same too. I used a HL sensor modified with LEDs at Danville and I was being hammered form all over the place, so no issue there.

You observation is exactly why I choose to use Tamiya sensors, and my cry to standardize the pin-outs. DBC2/3 ,Clark, IBU have done this and can run a Tamiya sensor. That is the easiest thing you can do to even things out on the battle field.

Tamiya tanks using TBU's have an advantage over the tanks that use multiple sensors. However a DBU will plug into a Tamiya tank to take that advantage away if required. These standardized pinouts allow sensors to be interchanged between systems to allow some equailaization to happen. If you have a system that does not support the 5 pin layout, then you are kind of out of luck on this fact.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:26 AM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ah, ok I see I thought the same, didn't know they were different. I believe he had the silver HL one (Freakydude's KT)

Anyhoo back on topic, my 'heavy' Tiger weighs in at 14 lbs and is a complete slug, but boy can it climb. It's suited for our field, with rocky hills and hedgerows. Shermans can't handle that.

I'd be annihilated @ Danville, both because I'm in an SLU and my sensor registers hits if you bounce it off a tree.

Now my Clark-board'd Sherman & KV-2, are QUICK (relatively quick for a KV-2.. but it turns like a ****), and with the TBU would be a completely even match for any Tamiya tank. As far as quality goes, the Mato sherman isn't bad, is cheap, and runs VERY well with few mods. The Asiatam KV-2 is excellent, sturdy, and the Taigen 4-1s in there are bulletproof. I'll take that up against a Tamiya any day.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:33 AM
mustclime

guys, don't get me wrong...danville is great, its allstar camp for tanks.....you will learn more in 2 days there than you will ever learn at your local club meets. I didn't mean to cause all this fuss...the tiger is great but heavy tanks are not good fighters imo.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:00 AM
Ronan87

ORIGINAL: no12skyline

Im at just over 650 with Walterson KT, torro metal hull, metal track, Walterson 3:1, TK22 and a radio system.

oh and that includes all the metal accessories for a tank that's better than a stock tamiya KT.
There was a Norwegian guy that was on here some time back with exactly the same grouse as you - that he couldn't get a cheap enough Tamiya to match his expectations of performance in comparison to the alternatives.

My take is that the price disparity only applies to certain countries - other countries like the US have better pricing that brings this margin down, and it is from this POV that people are commenting. Its just your bad luck that you aren't in a position to get a cheaper Tamiya.

Well we don't all live in the US (i used too, 10 years in NY). There's a BIG world out there. Even though when prices are thrown around you often see explanations (like from me, i have stated numerous time exactly why Tamiya isn't an option here compare to the US). It's true there a few stores sell Tamiya r/c tank for a reasonable price in the US and even on US Ebay. Here no. I have also seen people in Europe complain about Tamiya price gouging too and it seems in the UK the electronics are not covered.

So when people generalize 'ohhh Tamiya $500!!!' it's not true. In their case yes, but not for everyone.

Quick numbers from 6+ years of experience of ordering parts/kits/etc to Canada.

AFF Tank Shop, Tamiya KT: $630
Shipping: $80
Taxes (15%): $95
Duty: $145
(105 to 40%, it varies and is on top of original price + regular taxes. I'm putting 20% but its usually 30%)

TOTAL at my door: $950 and i can honestly say i am using low duty fee.

It's painful
Old 05-10-2013, 07:09 AM
YHR

Yes I think the title Tamiya Killer, brought in the whole IR side of things into in which case a heavy slow moving tank is not going to kill much of anything in an IR battle. However I think the dialogue has been good and informative, and with so many more tankers, and all the different kinds of ways to enjoy this hobby, we may find scale battles start popping up where you need off road speed tanks with Momentum to participate. Personally if that type of battling was available I would want to participate. As great as Danville and the People are there are a few things about the current IR battling that do not appeal to me. Tanks that go from forward to reverse in milliseconds just don't look right, and I don't care how detailed they are. It is the single biggest thing that people notice and comment on when viewing an IR battle. In the current state of IR battling to be competitive you need this ability to be agile and quick to win the day otherwise you will forever be a target destroyed.

With the newer Tamiya's having momentum, then perhaps the evolution is beginning
Old 05-10-2013, 07:14 AM
Ronan87

ORIGINAL: YHR

Yes I think the title Tamiya Killer, brought in the whole IR side of things into in which case a heavy slow moving tank is not going to kill much of anything in an IR battle. However I think the dialogue has been good and informative, and with so many more tankers, and all the different kinds of ways to enjoy this hobby, we may find scale battles start popping up where you need off road speed tanks with Momentum to participate. Personally if that type of battling was available I would want to participate. As great as Danville and the People are there are a few things about the current IR battling that do not appeal to me. Tanks that go from forward to reverse in milliseconds just don't look right, and I don't care how detailed they are. It is the single biggest thing that people notice and comment on when viewing an IR battle. In the current state of IR battling to be competitive you need this ability to be agile and quick to win the day otherwise you will forever be a target destroyed.

With the newer Tamiya's having momentum, then perhaps the evolution is beginning
Heavy tank that are as quick as light tanks.
Fan/Sweep shooting.
Towers that are too sensitive or not sensitive enough.
No momentum.

Fix/Change those = the hobby just grows to a new level that i think would be awsome.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:12 AM
FreakyDude

No one cares about what brand? really? c'mon you must not be on this forum much. Everybody talks about tam being the king and how unbreakablke or how good their warranty is. ( See your words below ) I never said nothing about Danville and someday I would love to get their and do some matches for the fun of it.I am as competitive as everybody else so I think it would be a bit of fun just to see what would happen, I highly doubt that it would be as one sided as some people seem to think.

If you go back and read what I posted you will see that I used Tamiya as a bench mark to produce something at the same quality but with a lower price. Quite simple effort really. I even asked peeps not to turn this into a Tam vs post. I was just trying to show a final product
As for plug and play electronics most of the fun is taking stock and making it what you want. Your perogative to disagree or not do whatever for whatever reason, totally up to you. If you don't want to learn something then that is your choice.
I personally will spend hours and days learning each and every nuance I possibly can.

I bolded your last few lines for this - Exactly what is it that I did or do? I tweaked, modified and massaged a tank to specificly battle a Tamiya Tiger. So your saying that the work I have done on this is less valueable because I didn't do a post or because I didn't share exactly what I have done?
Fyi everything I have done to this tank is already on this or other sites. Shall I show you how to chgange out a gear box?
Your post has a bit of condasencion in it and to be quite honest I care not for it.
I build commisioned tanks for people and I won't share some of the things I do because that is what makes their tanks special. I build one of whatever then I don't go back and ever build more of that particular variation.
Very shortly you will see a scratch build that I have done for myself, no steps to get to the end product I am afraid. Challenge me to post whatever and l won't apologize for not doing so.M y day job, web store and custom tanks keep me from spending hours documenting what I do. The people that know me will vouch what I give back to this community and really that is all I care about.
If anybody wants to know a particular thing then they need to mail / pm me or call me, I would be more than happy to share what I know. By the same token I am more than happy to learn from as well.

ORIGINAL: sevoblast

Back when I was going to Dville, and last time was '06 if memory serves, it was a grand experience. Speed checks, emitter and receiver performance and range checks, and overall tank checks were pretty strict. If you were new and showed up with a way too fast tank, we had plug in resistors that would slow you down enough to fight that weekend, and all the lads would pitch in to make your first experience a good one including tips to get you up to snuff for speed, reliability, and performance. It is well worth the trip for both the battle experience and the choir practice after the battle day is over. AAF Museum Battle Days is an experience you should not miss.

Freakydude, no one cares much about what kind or what brand of tank anyone has. We've been modifying T34's since they first appeared rather some years ago, as well as P3's from their debut. In our personal stable we have Hooben, Heng Long, Tamiya, and Wasan. Big deal. The plethora of electronics systems that have entered the market in the last few years do make things interesting, although I don't use them, I stick to Tamiya simply because in USA the electronics, aka DMD and TO units, carry a life time guaranty and Tamiya USA is quite good about taking care of said guaranty. That being said, in the years since I bought my first Tiger 1 when Tamiya introduced them way back when (my first Tiger 1 had the on/off switch in the hull floor right in front of the idler systems....sticking out the bottom!), I've never had a DMD or TO crap out. For someone like me, eyes going and fingers arthritic, the plug and play gig makes it easy. Period. If someone else comes out with a similar plug and play system that's as good as Tamiya for less money, you can rest assured I'll use it. However, I'm NOT going to spend hours on the computer learning how to download various engine, transmission, track, main gun and MG sounds, then spending many more hours putzing around trying to get said sounds in to the electronics. To some that is the fun of it, and some of the lads are quiet good at it. Me, I can barely find the 'on' switch for the computer. I have other things to do with my tank time.

Now, my friend, in case you hadn't noticed, hardly anyone says anything derogatory about Heng Long, Hooben, Wasan/Trumperter or Tamiya....except you. Of course you can build something that will in the end be as good or even better than Tamiya. Who cares if it's better than Tamiya, Hooben, Wasan, Heng Long, or whatever? It's the same as hot rods. Back when I was young, and that's a LONG time ago, Ford and Chevy owners were constantly at each other's throats as to whose car was faster and better. However, back then or today, I can guaranty you I can, and did back then, build butt kicking cars on a shoe string budget. Even today, I can take a Fox body Mustang or LTD II and massage it to the point that it'll beat anyone's 50 grand Shelby Mustang or 100 grand Benz in either drag racing or a road course, and I can do it for WAY less than buying a new Shelby or Benz. However, in either hobby, cars or tanks, no matter how good you are with your tank or how fast your car is, somewhere, somehow, someone is going to wax you. It may happen only once, but it WILL happen.

You see, that's the fun of both hot rods and tanks. We take what we have, modify it, tweak it, massage it, and end up with something better. Instead of doing what you are doing, how's about some build posts, what you've done and how you did it, photos and descriptions of the parts you used to modify the tank, where you got the parts and why, cosmetic or functional? That would be interesting to see.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:16 AM
FreakyDude

No12 The Walterson is not quite as expensive as you portray, even with tracks/Asiatam lower etc etc purchased from other sources. I don't think this is ever going to be an apple to apple comparison though. The differences are so great it is not fair one way or the other.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:34 AM
Ronan87

I can vouch for FreakyDude and a lot of people can.
He is a great asset to the community and to have people disregard his contribution is very disrespectful.
Heck a bunch of us wouldn't/couldn't be here without him.

Curtis even asked not to turn this into a tamiya vs everyone thread, posted good information for people to use and happen? This turned into a tamiya vs everyone and then some Curtis bashing.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:03 AM
mustclime

Have any of you guys north of the border tried to get tamiya through these guys?

http://www.borgfeldt.ca/default.htm

they seem to be the aproved dealer for the whole country..... and they seem to be a wholesaler that sells to hobby shops. Maybe if someone appoches them as a "club" or shop....you could get the kits at whole sale prices.......if they don't play ball...contact tamiya and ask them

its just a thought.....
Old 05-10-2013, 10:14 AM
YHR

ORIGINAL: mustclime

Have any of you guys north of the border tried to get tamiya through these guys?

they seem to be the aproved dealer for the whole country..... and they seem to be a wholesaler that sells to hobby shops. Maybe if someone appoches them as a ''club'' or shop....you could get the kits at whole sale prices.......if they don't play ball...contact tamiya and ask them

its just a thought.....

That is worth a try. A club would probably sell more tanks then and single hobby shop would.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:21 AM
FreakyDude

Borgfelt is a wholesaler and AAF is less expensive. Borgfelt has a list of criteria a mmile long and does not sell direct to end use customers either. Yellowshaker might remember me buying some KT wheels from him which took 3 days from buying to shipping when I started tanking,
I sent Borgfelt an e-mail and phone call request for info on Tamiya product at the same time and 6 weeks later they responded. arrogant attitude when I got the e-mail too.

Tamiya if your listening and reading this post your sales will increase when you dump these guys and sell to shops directly.

I doubt a club would sell more tanks than a shop, at least here in Canada. When it comes to selling Tanks its not the purchase of the tank that matters. Its what happens when something breaks and the buyer needs support to get it repaired or get new parts that is the issue.

ORIGINAL: mustclime

they seem to be the aproved dealer for the whole country..... and they seem to be a wholesaler that sells to hobby shops. Maybe if someone appoches them as a "club" or shop....you could get the kits at whole sale prices.......if they don't play ball...contact tamiya and ask them

its just a thought.....
Old 05-10-2013, 10:28 AM
no12skyline

I can vouch for FreakyDude and a lot of people can.
He is a great asset to the community and to have people disregard his contribution is very disrespectful.
Heck a bunch of us wouldn't/couldn't be here without him.

Curtis even asked not to turn this into a tamiya vs everyone thread, posted good information for people to use and happen? This turned into a tamiya vs everyone and then some Curtis bashing.
I've no doubt about his integrity and quality of service as a reseller but let's cut to the chase - he plugs his wares because he doesn't sell Tamiya (or can't).

But when you call this thread "Tamiya Tiger Killer" and on the other hand claim not to turn this into a Tamiya vs. everyone else's thread, I see contradiction right there.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:31 AM
no12skyline

ORIGINAL: FreakyDude

No12 The Walterson is not quite as expensive as you portray, even with tracks/Asiatam lower etc etc purchased from other sources. I don't think this is ever going to be an apple to apple comparison though. The differences are so great it is not fair one way or the other.

Read my post. I didn't portray ANYTHING about the Asiatam or Waltersons - their price is what ronan87 pays for it. I merely highlighted that people south of the border get their Tamiyas cheaper due to the better network/dealer and possibly better volume savings which TamiyaUSA passes on to the consumer/
Old 05-10-2013, 10:46 AM
Stince

I believe Freakydude meant to refer to this post.

ORIGINAL: herlihy22

That Waterson king Tiger with a bunch of metal and sound and movement upgrades actually cost more than a Tamiya King Tiger. You can pick up a Tamiya King Tiger with a little looking on ebay for 500 or 600 at the most. For the waterson King Tiger you will spend 300 plus another 400 or so updating it to be comparible to a Tamiya.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:47 AM
Ronan87

ORIGINAL: FreakyDude

Read my post. I didn't portray ANYTHING about the Asiatam or Waltersons - their price is what ronan87 pays for it. I merely highlighted that people south of the border get their Tamiyas cheaper due to the better network/dealer and possibly better volume savings which TamiyaUSA passes on to the consumer/
Not exactly right.

It's purely a duty + tax issue. Which many countries have issues with. The US just happens to let a LOT of stuff through w/o extra duty and taxes are generally lower.

You will also see a lot of stores in the US selling Tamiya tanks at the regular MSRP. So far i have seen a handfull of US stores like the AAF that sells them at a discounted price.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:17 PM
ausf

I have a friend in Denmark who has to pay through the nose for anything purchased outside of his country. Whether it's modeling stuff, cameras or books, it almost doubles the cost in some cases. I once sent him a bunch of armor books and he had to pay a ridiculous levy on them, even though they were genuine gifts.

Yes, we have it easy on imports in the US, but the same Tamiya product is a lot cheaper in other countries too.

And yes, some distributors are absolutely insane with conditions, it's as if they don't want to do business. A Canadian based importer of Aber wasn't satisfied with just all my Federal/State business certification, they wanted financial statements and photographs. I wasn't looking for a line of credit, just some wholesale PE. He lost out, Aber lost out and I sold a lot of Voyager product.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.