Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Self-centering made cheap.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Self-centering made cheap.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 11:11 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Self-centering made cheap.

I tried everything on hand to get a 2.4 self-centering throttle. I combined two Horizon Hobby Txs to have both sticks centering but the travel isn't much and I still have drift with my left hand, so I'd end up firing when I didn't want to. I tried eliminating the pot and using a momentary switch on it's own, but that would fire sound and IR, then 5 consecutive recoils.

So I cracked the DX6i and temporarily set up a switch like Dan did, but that only resulted in the firing sound and IR, no recoil or flash.

I use my DX6i for too much stuff to permenantly set the stick to center, so I was going to pull the trigger on an Orange TX from Hobby King (now in the US warehouse for like $65).

Messing around at the bench, I had the idea to make a template for the stick travel, I only need it left to right and center to down (no MG on the StuG). I figured two sheets of styrene, a couple magnets and a spring and I'd have a removeable piece I could drop in whenever needed. I grab the micrometer, the opening is 1.9". I'm looking around for something to use as a template and I founda spare Tammy Tiger wheel. With the tire, it's a hair over 1.9!

A quick cutout, a rubber band and here it is. Even has a 'nest' for the stick at dead center. Haven't had a missfire since.

Hope that helps someone out there.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54915.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	1882654  
Old 05-17-2013, 11:44 AM
Ronan87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Self-centering made cheap.

LOL! Perfect
Old 05-17-2013, 01:02 PM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Ausf that is too cool. Waste not want not!!! Thanks Tamiya!!!
Old 05-17-2013, 03:16 PM
ausf

The only question is, Three-tone camo? Whitewash? Should I weather it?
Old 05-17-2013, 03:22 PM
White Tiger88

ORIGINAL: ausf

The only question is, Three-tone camo? Whitewash? Should I weather it?
Yes, Yes you should. Also that is awesome!

Old 05-17-2013, 03:58 PM
CHIEFSONN

This is funny I had just finished a similar mod, just before I turned on my laptop. I took two rubber bands interlocked them Knot in the back and dropped the ends over the stick, this will help keep it centered.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:28 PM
FreakyDude

just an idea but why not use the parts from the other pot, copy them in cast resin and install them. I just did that to my DX6, once the parts are cured I am pretty sure they are going to be drop ins.

Better yet though how about Spectrum get off their butt and offer the self centering parts? I won't ever buy their radio again because of their lack of support.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:04 PM
ausf

ORIGINAL: FreakyDude

just an idea but why not use the parts from the other pot, copy them in cast resin and install them. I just did that to my DX6, once the parts are cured I am pretty sure they are going to be drop ins.

Better yet though how about Spectrum get off their butt and offer the self centering parts? I won't ever buy their radio again because of their lack of support.
Spektrum (Horizon Hobby) has the absolute best customer service in the business. They have replaced items for me free, sight unseen on multiple products and never asked where or when it was purchase. They have spent time with me working through different setups and answering any question I had. I know people who have received entire new planes free after crashes on problems that were obviously not defects, ie sand in gears, etc.

That said, Spektrum has a self centering kit for their radios. They will install it free if you order the radio from them and request it or send it to you free if you want to install it yourself.

I don't want the left stick self centering since I use the radio for 10 models, only one is a tank, otherwise I'd gladly call them and get one.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:33 AM
bowlman

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts

How I did it 4 years ago .

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_87...tm.htm#8726120

Thanks
Jimmy
Old 05-19-2013, 07:59 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have cast these parts on both the D6I and the HK T6A, They work great and I have had no issues with the resin parts. Although I am starting to get used to the ratchet throttle stick to maintain speed so haven't been modifying the radios lately.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:54 PM
FreakyDude

I was quoted $40.00 to have the left stick centered, shipping to and from was on my Tab. Had to speak with 3 or 4 people as well.
I called Futaba to do the same for my T6EX and in one week I had the parts at my door with 0 cost.
My turnigy you can get the info on a how to all over the net.
Everybody else scores well, Spektrum not so good.

Spektrum (Horizon Hobby) has the absolute best customer service in the business. They have replaced items for me free, sight unseen on multiple products and never asked where or when it was purchase. They have spent time with me working through different setups and answering any question I had. I know people who have received entire new planes free after crashes on problems that were obviously not defects, ie sand in gears, etc.

That said, Spektrum has a self centering kit for their radios. They will install it free if you order the radio from them and request it or send it to you free if you want to install it yourself.

I don't want the left stick self centering since I use the radio for 10 models, only one is a tank, otherwise I'd gladly call them and get one.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:05 PM
ausf

Was it the DX6i?

The link to the other thread mentioned they'll change out 6s, but not 5s, have no idea why.

All I know is they have taken care of anything I've ever asked for and then some and if you ever come across beginner AC sections, you'll find hundreds of stories regarding their top notch service.

Personally, they've sent me replacement motors, servos, even batteries after a crash, always free and never once asked how old or where I bought it.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:49 AM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Why not Ambush?
Old 05-20-2013, 03:23 PM
FreakyDude

i'll give you shipping costs and 10 bucks for a DX6I self center set. Apparently there is a few things I need to learn about casting resin lol I got it out of the mold and looked great till i put some stress on it and snap there she goes, two pieces.
Once it is dry you can tell this resin I have is okay for something that doesn't move but way too brittle for anything thet needs strength.

Was it the DX6i?

The link to the other thread mentioned they'll change out 6s, but not 5s, have no idea why.

All I know is they have taken care of anything I've ever asked for and then some and if you ever come across beginner AC sections, you'll find hundreds of stories regarding their top notch service.

Personally, they've sent me replacement motors, servos, even batteries after a crash, always free and never once asked how old or where I bought it.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:40 PM
thecommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great minds think alike....LOL. We have been using the rubberband trick on the Spectrum radios at Danville for quite a while. We even use them to convert the landing gear SW for the main gun switches into a momentary switch. For radios where the dash pots are hard to convert attach two of the small Tamiya springs to the joystick at the face with small screws. Not very pretty but cheap and effective.