Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 04:12 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Question

Warming this is long winded and droll so move on unless you're having problems sleeping.

If this has been covered here before just say so and I'll try to find the original post.

I've always prided myself on my ability to drive a model tank well and put it exactly where I wanted, at least with regards to 1/16 scale. 1/10ths I usually run in 1st or lowest gear
in low throttle so they lend themselves to being driven well.

I started out in 1/16 with the very first Sherman when it was $99. Simple controls, no fancy electronics and one of the two gearing options made the model very slow
and very easy to drive well. Next ( for me ) was Tamiya's first generation King Tiger and Leo I both of which were far too fast for me.

Fast forward to a some years back when I started buying Tamiy'a FF kits and some Heng Longs.

I have yet to build the majority of Tamiya kits except I did build the Pershing. I focused my attention to the Heng Longs mainly because I wanted to see what all the hubbub
was about. The latter being said I realized I could not run the Heng Longs as delivered so I proceeded to basically just save the uppers and replace everything else. This
included buying building and using Dave's system with RX18 and Futaba radio,

I've been running these for quite some while and even though everything works fine there is one sporadic problem that really bugs me. It seems to be more often noticed
when running in soil or an environment that puts a load on the motors. When turning, especially the PzKw III and StuG III eother right or left the model doesn't
always respond to the stick going back to center position and the model continues in whatever direction it was headed usually causing it to veer off the course I want it on.
I'm used to models return to a straight heading when I release the stick.

I know many of you will say that your radio is an issue. Well I thought the same but my Pershing which is on the same frequency, uses the same type of receiver NEVER exhibits
this behavior. My Heng Long KV-1 which is using a AsiaTam lower ( as are the PzKw / StuG III ) and also using HL ( or somebody's ) steel gearboxes with additional 3:1 reduction
doesn't exhibit this behavior as often but will do it also. The StuG is runnig Mato's all brass gearboxes which I had to fix before they were usable; alignment issues mostly. The PzKw III is
running a some zinc geared box. The Pershing is stock.

The transmitter is an old Futaba fp-t7nfk the receivers are all GWS 6 channel on 75Mhz. I will shortly be converting to a Futaba 2.4Ghz system. These seem to have been very reliable
with extremely minimal interference.

The common denominator is HL's RX18 and Dave's battle system but if it were anything electronic I'd suspect the RX18 as it has sway over the motors but perhaps there's a lag
processing the signal via Dave's unit.

I ran my models for quite some while this afternoon with a series of bricks simulating a narrow roadway, a bridge, small dirt hill with various obstacles and a IR target to fire at.
The Pershing made it through best of all followed not so closely by the KV-1. With the PzKw III and StuG III I looked like a Panzer jockey who just didn'r know when to say WHEN...

This exercise was the direct result of a local club member noticing my erratic driving. Now I know the reason.

The question then has anyone else experienced this and if so what is the fix?

Thanks.

Jerry
Old 07-07-2013, 04:57 PM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Question

I only have one HL and I use the DBC with it (the StuG). There is slight lag between the RX-18 and the DBC, I chalk it up to power draw. It's certainly more evident as the battery discharges.

I experience it on firing the main gun. The recoil and flash unit will function every time, but the sound and IR is on a very slight delay and may not trigger. It probably skips every 4 or 5 fires. I haven't noticed anything in terms of driving, except the right motor engages a hair behind the left, which is correctable with trim.

All bets are off when the battery runs down, usually stalling under load and restarting. Again, I haven't noticed driving issues, but that doesn't mean they aren't there, I haven't paid that close attention nor have used the StuG much yet. I'll certainly pay attention next times it's out.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:04 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a pile of HL tanks equipped with DBC's and RX18's never had an issue as you have described that couldn't be dialed out with radio trim. Are you running the DBC with momentum on? With the momentum on there is going to be obvious delays to stick movements, and it does make the tank harder to control. Try setting up the tank without momentum or as a light tank and see if the control becomes easier.

With 3:1 gear boxes an RX 18 with a DBC with momentum should be smooth and true. I have lots of video showing this set up in motion, in front of a camera in a tight space and have no problem with control.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:28 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

I was thinking about that also after I posted this thread. I didn't consciously set momentum on but I will check it. I didn't realize momentum settings would
affect turning commands. I didn't adjust the throttle while turning, just sent a left or right turn command. Somehow I thought momentum would affect throttle only.
Hmmmm I won't like that implementation of momentum.

The other aspect is it seems most likely to occur while operating where the tracks have significant resistance during turns such as dirt, carpet or the like.

I'll check it out.

Jerry
Old 07-08-2013, 02:20 AM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

The only time I can remember having a run away tank, I found out that I had gotten the receiver tangled up in the motor wires.