Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Back from IPMS Nats 2013. Really good stuff

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Back from IPMS Nats 2013. Really good stuff

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 09:05 AM
edoubleaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Back from IPMS Nats 2013. Really good stuff

Just finished a 2250 Mile, 7 day, 8 tanks of gas, 5 state family vacation/ trip to IPMS nats in Colorado. The stuff on the tables was amazing. The quality of work has risen exponentially alongside the quality of kits and building/detailing materials. The vender room was a slaughter house for my wallet. DAK XO Craig Pierce picked up a few medals and the Local AZ IPMS chapter picked up a second place in our AZ ANG group build. My Predator UAV drone and a few other DAK built models helped that build.

Here is the Photo report. http://www.desertarmor.com/DAK_Event...013_ARMOR.html

DAK OUT
Old 08-20-2013, 09:11 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet!

Out of curiosity, how was 1/16 representation compared to 1/35 and 1/48?

I know AMPS events were strictly 1/35 until Tamiya's 1/48 line exploded on the scene. I'm wondering how non-RC 1/16 like the Panda Hobby offerings are doing at shows.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:49 AM
edoubleaz

There were only 2 1/16 tanks, a t-34/76 1942 from trump and a Record Models (UK) KV-1. AMPS is fairly open on scale but the dominant force is 1/35 although the 1/72 side is well represented. This year the 1/72 scale stuff was represented extremely well at IPMS. The volume of tanks and vehicle blew me away. 1/48 was thin with only two dozen examples on the regular tables but I actually brought along a collection of 10 1/48 Shermans. I am definitely an odd duck now that I do 1/48 and 1/16 armor. Not a lot of vender support out there.....
Old 08-20-2013, 11:56 AM
Rex Ross

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for posting that. All of those models could be a centerfold in Tankboy magazine. I saw a camo paint scheme that is going to get copied on to one of my efforts at modeling a tank .....mostly to hide my goofs.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:09 PM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by edoubleaz
Not a lot of vender support out there.....
Granted I haven't dealt with it for a few years, but 1/48 had huge aftermarket appeal once it took hold. I have a half finished Tiger I from years back with resin tracks, covered in PE, brass muzzle break, aluminum barrel, etc. easily twice the detail of any 1/16th I've done. I would have thought an IPMS event would be lousy with 1/48 armor to coincide with the AC guys. Glad to hear 1/72 is big, I used to love that scale and the selection has definitely gone nuts in the last few years. Unfortunately I have more kits in my stash than I could ever build and hardly touch static anymore, so I won't be adding any braille scale (Although I have the HobbyBoss 1/72 Dora in my sights as well as Revell AGs next 1/72 Uboot release, but neither are exactly small).
Old 08-20-2013, 12:22 PM
edoubleaz

Apparently I am a few years late to the party. I scoured the Vender rooms and found EVERYTHING that here was to offer and came away with a few gems but the overall volume was extremely low. Not 1 Tamiya Sherman, I did pick up an SU-122 and a metal barrel though. 1 Hobby Boss M4A3E8, 4 sets of Karaya tow cables, 1 set of eduard Photo etch, and one vender with a box of TWS details that got me a JUMBO and and M51 conversion. CMK showed and had an M32 conversion but there were slim to none from anyone else. No Black dog, legends, new eduard, or even decals from the rest.

The point is I love scales that few others are doing but sometimes it is nice to be popular....