Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

The modern "Day of Infamy"...Let us never forget Sepember 1tth, 2001

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

The modern "Day of Infamy"...Let us never forget Sepember 1tth, 2001

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 02:09 PM
thecommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The modern "Day of Infamy"...Let us never forget Sepember 1tth, 2001

Even though it's been 12 years since the attacks of September 11th, it is still a somber day for me.

I feel the worst for all the innocent civilian victims who were flying in a plane, sitting at work, or just going about their daily routine and were struck down. A few of whom I knew personally. They were not in the Armed forces working at the Pentagon, they weren't policemen, firemen or emergency medical technicians...each of whom knew there was a risk with their profession every day. Every emergency services worker in the New York City metropolitan area wanted to roll on that call. We were all heartbroken when the towers collapsed because we knew there would be no rescue... but just a recovery. I feel a little better when I think of those brave airline passengers of Flight 93 who fought back over Shanksville Pennsylvania. They took matters into their own hands... and in my book they are the biggest heroes of that day.

Last year there were even a few New York City newspapers that did not have September 11th on their covers. Did they forget??? God I hope not!!! I know my fellow RCU members are cut from a different cloth and will never forget the significance of 9/11.

When you go to bed tonight give thanks and pray for the safety that we've enjoyed for the past 12 years, Pray for the loved ones and families of all the victims left behind. Hug your wife... kiss your kids.... call a old friend. Build a bridge today and every 9/11 here on.

God bless you all, Bob Held

Last edited by thecommander; 09-11-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:18 PM
AnzacRc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No need to question my government, they mind their own business and look after their own people instead of forcing their beliefs and way of life onto other cultures. But anyway enough of this, you have a good day/night and like i said before spare a thought for the innocent people whose lives are ruined by war whether it be in the states or anywhere :-)
Old 09-11-2013, 07:35 PM
TheBennyB

...Let's roll!!!
Old 09-11-2013, 07:36 PM
texchap

+1
Old 09-11-2013, 07:37 PM
SeaJay
My Feedback: (6)

+2

Those were some Real brave men and women on that plane, true American Heros..

Craig.

Last edited by SeaJay; 09-11-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:13 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Most here will notice that a HUGE chunk of this thread has suddenly disappeared. Unfortunately the posts created just to stir up trouble tried to derail this thread, and that post and all replies have been removed. I ask that those taking the thread off topic to not repost as those will simply be removed. I encourage members to remember that this thread was to honor those that lost their lives on 9/11, so let's not lessen that memory by dragging this thread through the mud.

Ken
Old 09-11-2013, 08:59 PM
thecommander

Originally Posted by AnzacRc
One thing I love about yanks is your passion if not a tad misguided. Ill wait till later when im not working to answer some of the other comments on here. Try not to invade or kill to many innocent people in the mean time.

I made this post right before sitting down to dinner with my family tonight. Being born and raised in New York City having been a policeman for over 31 years I am like most the people live in the New York metro area.....we are very sensitive to 9/11. We avoid any celebrations on this date,,, trying to schedule any weddings, birthday parties or anniversaries. I even have friends whose son was born on 9/11 they try to have his birthday party the weekend before. After dinner tonight my wife, my girls and I headed into town to the 9/11 memorial for the four members of our community who died that day at the Twin Towers. We had a candlelight vigil, sang the national anthem and God bless America as the two beams of light shined in the sky from Ground Zero behind us. Later tonight when I got home I was deluged with P Ms from several RCU members regarding this post.

My sole intent was to commemorate a solemn day in American history with my fellow RCU members as we have done many times in the past. A large majority of the RCU tank forum members are students of world history. None of us glorify war, all of us respect the sacrifices made by veterans worldwide. In our radio control hobby, whether we love fighter planes or armored tanks.... none of us glorify war and death.

AnzacRC it is obvious you don't know me and have probably never read anything I posted here on RCU before.

I don't know you.
I've never heard of you before.
I don't think you've ever posted anything here on the tank forum.
I don't know how old you are. You could even be a misinformed teenager for all I know.
I don't care where you live.
I don't care what country you're from.
I don't care for what you have to say here.

Even when you stated that you would post no more no more hurtful things you did it again.... So I believe you are no gentlemen and do not belong here on the RCU tank forum. Hopefully, you will restrict your diatribe to another venue. I can only presume you never heard of the old adage "If you can't say anything a nice, don't say anything at all". Or perhaps your parents didn't teach you that.

Perhaps you should talk to your father, grandfather or great-grandfather and ask him what the Americans did to help Australia and New Zealand in World War II. I know one of my fellow tankers has brought this up already. If we hadn't been there for you and your countrymen would probably have been typing this in Japanese. Or perhaps you believe the British protectorates in the Southern Pacific got what they deserved too in 1941? Hats off to the British!!! The United Kingdom is the only country that has repaid the World War II Lend/lease debt to the USA that they incurred. I have deep respect for them and they didn't give up repaying until they were free and clear in 2009. Perhaps you think we deserved the attack on Pearl Harbor too?

I watched the World Trade Center being built as a child living in New York City. My dad worked a few blocks away in the printing district at Canal and Hudson streets, downtown. In 1984 I even got engaged at Windows on the world restaurant at the top of the trade center. I've lived about 25 miles away from the trade Center for the past 42 years. I watched the burning and subsequent collapse with my own eyes. I was sent in by my Police Department three days later for "mutual aid".

I am deeply saddened and disappointed that you decided to taint this post with your rhetoric.

I don't believe you're a gentleman or that your cut from the same cloth as the rest of the RCU tankers.

It certainly appears that you're saying that we got what we deserved.

It's been many months since I posted anything here on RCU forums. I am very pleased to see my fellow tankers step up to the plate in my absence while I was the 9/11 memorial service. It appears they let you have it with both barrels. They are great bunch of very mature gentleman who treat each other with respect and dignity. I'm sure many of them felt very sad for you and what not even dignify your comments but the response.

I will extend to you an invitation right now to come with me to the 9/11 memorial service in 2014 at Westwood, New Jersey and tell the families and friends of those who died that the United States deserved to be attacked by terrorists. But I doubt you would even make it out alive.

I'm sure your fellow Australians and New Zealanders are very proud of you right now.

Last edited by thecommander; 09-11-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:04 PM
thecommander

Originally Posted by RCKen
Most here will notice that a HUGE chunk of this thread has suddenly disappeared. Unfortunately the posts created just to stir up trouble tried to derail this thread, and that post and all replies have been removed. I ask that those taking the thread off topic to not repost as those will simply be removed. I encourage members to remember that this thread was to honor those that lost their lives on 9/11, so let's not lessen that memory by dragging this thread through the mud.

Ken
Thank you Ken....The RCU tankers are a bit more passionate and sensitive about history than many of the other forum members.

I applaud your prompt action and thank you for your sensitivity and respect, Ken. You are a true gentleman.

In a few days I'll have the opportunity to go to Danville and meet with my fellow RCU members and RC tankers. We will pursue the RC hobby we all enjoy. We know that we are not warmongers, that we respect history, and enjoy great aspect of RCs which we find very rewarding and fulfilling. I have only two sisters as siblings... But when I attend these RC tank battle days and club events I feel like I am with my many brothers.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Danville group pic 11-11.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	182.7 KB
ID:	1919432  

Last edited by thecommander; 09-11-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:10 PM
thecommander

Originally Posted by SeaJay
+2

Those were some Real brave men and women on that plane, true American Heros..

Craig. and Bret & Rich too.
The flight 93 passengers and crew were the biggest heroes in my eyes. They took on the terrorists and fought back tooth and nail.

Lord knows how many lives they saved and where that plane could have killed more.

We must never forget that they knowingly sacrificed themselves for others by intentionally crashing that plane over rural Pennsylvania.

Perhaps there is some young RC 'er out there now firing up a Cox .049 airplane or playing with a 1/24 scale tank that would not be alive today if flight 93 had hit its target.

Last edited by thecommander; 09-11-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:30 PM
AnzacRc

Originally Posted by thecommander
I made this post right before sitting down to dinner with my family tonight. Being born and raised in New York City having been a policeman for over 31 years I am like most the people live in the New York metro area.....we are very sensitive to 9/11. We avoid any celebrations on this date,,, trying to schedule any weddings, birthday parties or anniversaries. I even have friends whose son was born on 9/11 they try to have his birthday party the weekend before. After dinner tonight my wife, my girls and I headed into town to the 9/11 memorial for the four members of our community who died that day at the Twin Towers. We had a candlelight vigil, sang the national anthem and God bless America as the two beams of light shined in the sky from Ground Zero behind us. Later tonight when I got home I was deluged with P Ms from several RCU members regarding this post.

My sole intent was to commemorate a solemn day in American history with my fellow RCU members as we have done many times in the past. A large majority of the RCU tank forum members are students of world history. None of us glorify war, all of us respect the sacrifices made by veterans worldwide. In our radio control hobby, whether we love fighter planes or armored tanks.... none of us glorify war and death.

AnzacRC it is obvious you don't know me and have probably never read anything I posted here on RCU before.

I don't know you.
I've never heard of you before.
I don't think you've ever posted anything here on the tank forum.
I don't know how old you are. You could even be a misinformed teenager for all I know.
I don't care where you live.
I don't care what country you're from.
I don't care for what you have to say here.

Even when you stated that you would post no more no more hurtful things you did it again.... So I believe you are no gentlemen and do not belong here on the RCU tank forum. Hopefully, you will restrict your diatribe to another venue. I can only presume you never heard of the old adage "If you can't say anything a nice, don't say anything at all". Or perhaps your parents didn't teach you that.

Yes they did and also to stand up for what is right and not let peoples clouded judgements impact on a belief or opinion you may have.

Also I did ask that anyone wanting to discuss the subject further to PM me but strength in numbers is clearly your "thing".

Perhaps you should talk to your father, grandfather or great-grandfather and ask him what the Americans did to help Australia and New Zealand in World War II. I did and you know what they said, they gave their all just like everyone. I know one of my fellow tankers has brought this up already. If we hadn't been there for you and your countrymen would probably have been typing this in Japanese. That may be the case but it came at the expense of 200,000 innocent lives lost and the only use of a "weapon of mass destruction" to be used in anger against a race of human beings in history. Or perhaps you believe the British protectorates in the Southern Pacific got what they deserved too in 1941? Hats off to the British!!!Love Britain!! The United Kingdom is the only country that has repaid the World War II Lend/lease debt to the USA that they incurred. Very american of you to put a dollar value on everything. I have deep respect for them and they didn't give up repaying until they were free and clear in 2009. Perhaps you think we deserved the attack on Pearl Harbor to? The oil embargo started that.

I watched the World Trade Center being built as a child living in New York City. My dad worked a few blocks away in the printing district at Canal and Hudson streets, downtown. In 1984 I even got engaged at Windows on the world restaurant at the top of the trade center. I've lived about 25 miles away from the trade Center for the past 42 years. I watched the burning and subsequent collapse with my own eyes. I was sent in by my Police Department three days later for "mutual aid".

I am deeply saddened and disappointed that you decided to taint this post with your rhetoric. No taint meant, just an opinion voiced on a public forum on the internet where you also had the choice not to post something that may have got a reaction or opinion from another person who is not subjected to american rhetoric daily.

I don't believe you're a gentleman or that your cut from the same cloth as the rest of the RCU tankers. ​We don't know each other so you have no idea (your words)

It certainly appears that you're saying that we got what we deserved.Absolutely not. Im shocked that you would come to that conclusion based on a number of comments. As i said before, i was open to discussion in private.

It's been many months since I posted anything here on RCU forums. I am very pleased to see my fellow tankers step up to the plate in my absence while I was the 9/11 memorial service. It appears they let you have it with both barrels. A violent gun reference, not uncommon.They are great bunch of very mature gentleman who treat each other with respect and dignity. I'm sure many of them felt very sad for you and what not even dignify your comments but the response.

I will extend to you an invitation right now to come with me to the 9/11 memorial service in 2014 at Westwood, New Jersey and tell the families and friends of those who died that the United States deserved to be attacked by terrorists. Im not sure why you are making stuff up now. But I doubt you would even make it out alive. Are you all that unreasonable that you would kill another human because you didnt agree with them? Ooh hang on that was already covered and history confirms.

I'm sure your fellow Australians and New Zealanders are very proud of you right now. I asked a few on their opinions and all but one does not agree with the behaviour and outright disrespect for other peoples way of lives and cultures.
FYI:
35 Male, history major with all grandparents fighting in the wars at one stage or another.

Last edited by AnzacRc; 09-11-2013 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:09 PM
ksoc

For all those who have every run TOWARDS the sound of danger to help others - Thank You.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:41 AM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do Not want to minimize the loss of anyone or everyone who perished on 9/11 . It was terrible ,but i wish people wouldn't relate 9/11 to pearl harbor . they should remain two separate incidences with no relation to each other only that America was attacked. having watched untold documentaries on PH i think it diminishes both incidences if compared to each other. I do agree that both took similar paths to war etc. but PH lead to hundreds of thousands of deaths over a span of 4 years .
Old 09-12-2013, 02:53 AM
Rob2160

I'm sure your fellow Australians and New Zealanders are very proud of you right now.
On the contrary, Please do not consider the comments of AnzacRC to be typical of all Australians

They are his words and do not reflect those of every Australian.

My Grandfather fought in WW2 alongside US, British, Canadian and New Zealand Soldiers and I am proud of each of these Nations for fighting to maintain the freedom of their citizens.

The September 11 attacks were a terrible tragedy and should be remembered by all as a dark moment in History.

The Heroes on United 93 need to be applauded for their brave efforts.

I love my country, and am proud to be Australian, but I will also proudly stand beside my friends and allies across the Pacific in saying "God Bless America"
Old 09-12-2013, 02:57 AM
warbird_1

We must never forget that they knowingly sacrificed themselves for others by intentionally crashing that plane over rural Pennsylvania.

Really? last time i heard they were trying to gain control of that plane ,not crash it. they had no idea where it was headed they just knew they were hijacked. i'm glad you cleared that up for us. facts man, just the facts
Old 09-12-2013, 03:03 AM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by Rob2160
On the contrary, Please do not consider the comments of AnzacRC to be typical of all Australians

My Grandfather fought in WW2 alongside US, British, Canadian and New Zealand Soldiers and I am proud of each of these Nations for fighting to maintain the freedom of their citizens.

The September 11 attacks were a terrible tragedy and should be remembered by all as a dark moment in History.

I love my country, and am proud to be Australian, but I will also proudly stand beside my friends and allies across the Pacific in saying "God Bless America"
Rob , the Aussies have always been close and trusted friends with the U.S. . We thank all of you for your support and your sacrifices through the many conflicts you took part in. Your bravery in WWII and beyond is appreciated . Have a great day " mate"
Old 09-12-2013, 05:22 AM
thecommander

FYI:
35 Male, history major with all grandparents fighting in the wars at one stage or another.

By reading all the comments you have posted Anzac I feel that I do know the way you feel and the type of person you are. Even though you are noobie here. This is the RC tank forum and you have never posted here before. It seems you had just 10 or so posts on the other RCU forums. I am not new here and have a few thousand posts on this tank forum. It seems like you just came here looking for a fight. You certainly do not know me.

I doubt you scored good grades in your history classes. The Japanese aggression started in the early 1930's when the Japanese invaded China. Not at Pearl Harbor. The US and League of Nations exhausted every peaceful option to avoid war. All the shutting of the oil flow to japan did was set the date for what the Japanese intended to do anyway. I find it very ironic and I am very pleased that both Germany and Japan are some of the staunchest US allies today. I very strongly doubt that you represent the average man where you live. I'm sure your "friends" think just like you. As for dollar value placed on the debt...at least the British took their responsibility seriously.

As for my invitation to next years 9-11 memorial service, I wouldn't lay a hand on you. But if you got up on your soapbox and started preaching I doubt the victim's families and Veterans would tolerate you for long. I carried a gun for 31+ years and luckily never had to kill anyone. I came close several times but God was looking out for me. I am the guy who would probably protect you... even though now I am retired from my police department.

I learned early on in my career not to argue with idiots. If it goes on too long it is hard to tell who is reasonable and who is the idiot.

Just one question:

If the USA were a country of war mongers bent to force their will on others and invade...why then as the sole remaining "super power" did we not conquer the world after the Soviet Union collapsed?

Old 09-12-2013, 05:36 AM
thecommander

Originally Posted by warbird_1
I do Not want to minimize the loss of anyone or everyone who perished on 9/11 . It was terrible ,but i wish people wouldn't relate 9/11 to pearl harbor . they should remain two separate incidences with no relation to each other only that America was attacked. having watched untold documentaries on PH i think it diminishes both incidences if compared to each other. I do agree that both took similar paths to war etc. but PH lead to hundreds of thousands of deaths over a span of 4 years .
Both were sneak attacks. At least Japan attacked a military target. Bin Laden's men targeted mainly civilians aside for the 157 or so killed at the Pentagon.. Tens of millions died in WW II. Many long before Pearl Harbor. The "Rape of Nanking" alone was horrific. We need to remember the sacrifices of the innocent civilians as well as the soldiers who fought for freedom from tyranny world wide. Both during WW II and now.

No one really wins in a war. Too many suffer and pay the ultimate price.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:39 AM
Rob2160

even though now I am retired from my police department.
Ditto.. 23 years here with the NSW Police - the last few as a Helicopter pilot - A very satisfying job, rescuing people, saving lives while also fulfilling a passion for aviation.

I travel to the USA frequently, and often fly internally with your domestic carriers. I am constantly impressed by the support your military personnel receive from the general public.

Sitting next to a uniformed female solider on one flight 4 years ago I overheard at least 30 other passengers saying to her "Thank you for your service"

Since that occasion, I notice it every time I see someone in uniform at USA airports. A shame Aussies don't show our own military the same courtesy.

Thumbs up for the way USA citizens support their military.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:41 AM
thecommander

I am very confident that he is NOT true representative of your country or New Zealand either. I have NEAD club members "Down-Under" and they are all great guys.

I know he has zero credibility here on RCU.

Thank you for your support Rob.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:44 AM
sturmovik60

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ANZAC, everyone is able to give their own opinion so I am going to give you mine. First of we take this day to remember the lives that was lost that tragic day. People who were just traveling or just doing their job. When this country was attacked by a bunch of worthless cowards. I lost friends that day in Washington. People I knew in my service to my country as a Tanker. If you don't like the way the US conduct business, then so be it. But dont take away the honor of these heros who died that day. Its a USA thing and I doubt that you will ever understand
Old 09-12-2013, 05:51 AM
thecommander

Originally Posted by warbird_1

Really? last time i heard they were trying to gain control of that plane ,not crash it. they had no idea where it was headed they just knew they were hijacked. i'm glad you cleared that up for us. facts man, just the facts
Warbirb, please look at the timeline of events. Many of the crew and passengers on board 93 were on flight phones with family and were very aware that these planes were being used as weapons. They collectively decided that if they couldn't retake the airplane from the terrorists, that the would make sure it did not reach a city. THIS IS A FACT. Really!!! I have no reason to lie. Being a policeman in the NYC area we were privileged to much information that was not made public until years later.

Last edited by thecommander; 09-12-2013 at 06:14 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:04 AM
thecommander

Ditto.. 23 years here with the NSW Police - the last few as a Helicopter pilot - A very satisfying job, rescuing people, saving lives while also fulfilling a passion for aviation.

I travel to the USA frequently, and often fly internally with your domestic carriers. I am constantly impressed by the support your military personnel receive from the general public.

Sitting next to a uniformed female solider on one flight 4 years ago I overheard at least 30 other passengers saying to her "Thank you for your service"

Since that occasion, I notice it every time I see someone in uniform at USA airports. A shame Aussies don't show our own military the same courtesy.

Thumbs up for the way USA citizens support their military.
Thank you for your comments. I commanded the traffic bureau investigating and reconstructing car crashes. I got paid to ride a BMW motorcycle. I wish I got paid to fly...Thank you for YOUR service to NSW.

We owe so much to our Vets here.

Even now as we speak one RCU tanker (Will) is now on his 3rd or 4th deployment over there.

God Bless him and bring him home safely.

We are very diverse here in the US and opinions vary greatly.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	securedownload.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	1919544   Click image for larger version

Name:	Will at work.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	1919545  
Old 09-12-2013, 06:06 AM
thecommander

Originally Posted by sturmovik60
ANZAC, everyone is able to give their own opinion so I am going to give you mine. First of we take this day to remember the lives that was lost that tragic day. People who were just traveling or just doing their job. When this country was attacked by a bunch of worthless cowards. I lost friends that day in Washington. People I knew in my service to my country as a Tanker. If you don't like the way the US conduct business, then so be it. But dont take away the honor of these heros who died that day. Its a USA thing and I doubt that you will ever understand
Very well put...thank you sir!
Old 09-12-2013, 08:30 AM
Cruiser133

Originally Posted by AnzacRc
No need to question my government, they mind their own business and look after their own people instead of forcing their beliefs and way of life onto other cultures. But anyway enough of this, you have a good day/night and like i said before spare a thought for the innocent people whose lives are ruined by war whether it be in the states or anywhere :-)
If we minded our "own business", you wouldn't have to import Tamiya products "mate". My father did three tours in Vietnam and has nothing but respect for Aussie troops, so I will give you the benefit of the doubt and chalk your ignorance up to leftist propaganda. My Grandfather rolled with Patton in Europe, hell I can trace military service back to a volunteer Ohio infantry unit in our Civil War, so when you disbarrage our military, I take personal offence, so please troll elsewhere. Merica baby!

Last edited by Cruiser133; 09-12-2013 at 08:34 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:36 AM
karel47

yes it was an act of terrorism, the whole world was shocked and still is ... this may never be forgotten ... let's pray for the Fallen en the heroes wich risked their lives to save others

all those people killed in a splitsecond why, i bet those cowards even don't know it by themselves ... the islam doesn't say you have to kill, neither the bibble ... a bunch of terrorist decided to take new york as the place for their battleground , if they want a fight why not fight the military in full power ... because they knew they weren't stand a chance against the US Army defending their homeland

no land deserve this , our american friends new we all support them into this sad tragedy
the world is also mourning on this day for ever

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.