Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

My HL Leopard 2A6 build and thoughts.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

My HL Leopard 2A6 build and thoughts.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 09:04 PM
no12skyline

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jannicke
Oh yeah, I did also get around to switching out the Heng Long turret baskets for a set from Tamiya's Leopard, That was straight-forward and simple. The mounting pins on the tamiya basket even matched up with the position of the holes for the HL ones on the turret. I'll get a photo of that at some stage too.
I'm probably beating a dead horse here, but the fact that a Tamiya basket fits perfectly into a Heng Long hull has me very amused. Although, once you've bought the parts tree and photo-etched parts, you're probably at half the price that the entire Heng Long tank cost. The money would probably be better spent buying Impact or AFV-model's metal baskets - as the Tamiya ones are made of plastic and flimsy. If you have your turret traversed at an angle, it hangs out over the side, catching against walls, twigs and foliage - hardly the recipe for longevity.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:58 PM
karel47

a good driver can
Old 11-24-2013, 09:03 PM
Jannicke

Nah, Nexusys, I didn't get the turret baskets from AFV model, though they do have a set of the frames cast in metal which, as no12skyline says will be stronger. These are just left over tamiya ones from a friends Tamiya build. Like I mentioned, Im trying to not spend a fortune on this one.

The figurine is one I scratchbuilt myself.

I don't really find it amusing that the tamiya parts fit the HL leo...Same tank, same scale and I'm sure HL used the tamiya heavily as reference when putting theirs together

In other news, my TK22 arrived from Mark at OzArmour on friday. I had a few trimming related teething troubles between the transmitter and TK22, but thats all taken care of and behind me, and things are moving forward (slowly) again.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:23 PM
Sky_HawK

Any more progress with this build? Looks great so far!
Old 12-03-2013, 02:45 PM
Jannicke

Thanks for the encouragement Sky_HawK. Yep, progress is being made, mostly on the painting front. I should have updates in the next few days.

Jannicke
Old 10-02-2014, 06:04 AM
cfjpau

Been a bit of time since last post haha - How's this one going?
Old 10-02-2014, 04:04 PM
Jannicke

Hi cfjpau, Yes it has been a while since I updated this post. The past year has been crazy busy. A wedding, honeymoon and then just loads and loads of work so I had to put the tanks aside for a while. Hopefully soon i'll get back to them and finish this one. At least its painted and looks good on the shelf at the moment.

Last week I modified a continuous rotation servo to replace the Heng Long turret traverse gearbox. That was a simple matter of opening the servo up, unsoldering the circuitboard from the servo motor and then just soldering the wires from the turret traverse to the servo's motor terminals. I attached the sprocket from the HL traverse gear to the top of the servo in plave of the usual servo horns and I'll mount the modified servo inside the tank where it can mesh with the turret ring and traverse the turret with a little more determination than the old system, hehe.

Mostly all thats left to do is work on the lighting; I want head and tail lights to be switchable (on / off) along with the little yellow blinking hazard lights on the corners and the yellow beacon light on the roof (again, i'll make all of those have a simple on /off switch). Shouldnt bee too difficult. That should just leave the issue of creating all the camouflage nets / foliage that the germans are so fond of covering their armor with, to me it just doesn't look complete without it, hehe.

Jan
Old 10-02-2014, 04:59 PM
cfjpau

Hi Jan,

Nice one! I'm looking at doing a lot of the same mods to my leo as well once it arrives, I've been researching the hell out if it and like the way your build is going. Funnily enough - I'm from Australia as well and I'll have much the same things to worry about albeit this time next year, with a wedding and honeymoon on the way.

I saw that continuous rotation servo mod in another thread on here and thought it was a great idea, once you get time and some pics I'd love to see how you've done it!

I too will really look forward to having fully functioning lights, I'll keep checking in here to hopefully see how you are going!
Old 10-10-2017, 05:26 PM
stonely

Hi, Sorry to bring up this old thread... but i need help... i just bought a HL Leopard 2.4ghz version, it comes with a transmitter that have 2 silver button at the top left and right, and you will have to depress the right button and push up the left stick in order to fire the canon. However the usual switch to disable the airsoft is missing in the turret hatch although the cut out for the switch is still there. Is there a way to disable the BB from firing, and still have the whole tank recoil function with canon firing sound? My old Tiger 1 have this function.

... or do i need to cut away the BB wire inside the tank to disable the BB gun? if so which wire to cut?

Please advice as i do not need the BB function i just need its canon firing action and sound. Thanks for your time and help.
Old 10-04-2021, 08:22 AM
Loypopo

Hey! So im new to Rc Tanks, and i dont really know where to purchase these tanks.. I can see atleast from that coin in the picture that you're from norway? If so where did you purchase this tank? As i'm from norway too. I'm looking to buy this model!

Edit: Oh i did not notice how old this thread is.. Sorry if i've cause any inconvenience
Old 10-04-2021, 09:49 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

You might try Forgebear tanks, he's on eBay and he's also a member at rctw. He's in the UK, but I know he ships to the continent and the guys over there seem to love him. His name is Dave and he has an excellent reputation in the hobby.