Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Fury"

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 09:39 AM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fury"

I'm not a big Brad Pitt fan, well not a fan at all but he as a new movie coming out this fall or winter called Fury. It is about an American tank crew in 1945.
Looks like there will be quite a bit of good tank scenes with real Sherman s so all the Sherman fans should keep an eye out for it.
I will be waiting to see it as my like for the Sherman has grown over the last few years since getting involved with this hobby.
I was completely disenchanted with them before then as i fealty it was near criminal to continuously describe the Sherman as the best tank on any battle field to this day.made by many completely incompetent American officers who wouldnt know a good tank from an AT gun if one was to roll over his left foot.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:50 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There was a remembrance show this week end and a Canadian veteran loved his Sherman. It was the best infantry support tank on the battle field, and its rapid rate of fire was well liked by the crews and the infantry. It was never designed to be a tank destroyer, but it was excellent at doing what it was designed to do, including tank engagements with everything up to the PZIV. I don't fault it because it couldn't hold a candle to a Panther or a Tiger. I admire the crews. Listening to the Canadian crew members talking about putting a round in a Panther to Jam the turret and another one to blow off the tracks, made me realize how cool these guys were under pressure. If you can't penetrate a Panther then stop trying and look for another way to take them out. The quick firing Sherman allowed them to do that.

There is also the stories of the Americans firing phosphorous rounds behind the tigers. When the tank intake system sucked the fumes in the tank the crew inside had to bail out and dog MG bullets. So there were ways of taking out the enemy without having to penetrate the main armor, and my hats off to the crews that figured these things out..

Last edited by YHR; 11-10-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:26 AM
Rex Ross

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Seen This?

http://tomahawkfilms.com/blog/?tag=guernsey
Old 11-22-2013, 03:59 PM
strippersteel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes I can't wait for this movie to be released and Rex Ross thanks for the article. Looks like theres going to be a real Tiger in the movie so this should be a good one.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:39 PM
Martellus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

would be cool if a pershing showed up too
Old 11-23-2013, 05:14 PM
ausf

I was stoked to read about the Tiger making an appearance, but seeing that it's the same director as U-571, I don't know what to think.
Any of the HBO directors would be great for something like this, but if it's going to be another Pearl Harbor type of thing, it'll be unwatchable.

Pitt should've teamed up with Tarentino again for this.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:00 PM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thankfully Bovington maintain total control of the running and well-being of the Tiger
Don’t forget to down load your illegal coppy
Old 11-26-2013, 04:02 PM
Panther G

Wow, I did not know the Bovington tiger was going to be in the movie. i really cant wait to see it now. This brings me to another question, does anyone know of or has heard anything about the Tiger the Americans own that was sent to Germany on lone.? They where supposed to do some work on it then return to the States but i have not heard anything about it in years now.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:37 AM
rivetcounter

After years of lies Aberdeen finally admitted and paid the collector who was storing the Tiger, about 18 months ago it went back to the US and nothing has been heard since, best bet would be to ask Aberdeen, problem is will you get an honest answer
Old 11-27-2013, 07:54 AM
Panther G

Can you expand on the story a little bit Riv? I'm only somewhat informed on the Aberdeen Tiger so i don't want to make any incorrect statements but would really like to know some more about the history of this tank and what was the issues with it in the first place. I don't know what Aberdeen was saying about the Tiger in general so I don't know what lies where being told.

As far as Aberdeen with everything being moved, more than likely nothing will be done with this Tiger so we may not hear of it again. That is why I think it is important to make people aware of it and the details surrounding it.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:03 AM
rivetcounter

This will cover the story, as for what has happened to it now it would be best to contact Aberdeen.
http://www.warhistoryonline.com/feat...ollection.html
Old 11-27-2013, 12:44 PM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

That is good news. At some point in time the U.S. may have a running Tiger I. Thanks Mr. Wheatcroft!!!! Just goes to show that rumors can be so wrong.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:07 PM
modelbob71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw the wheatcroft letter about 2 years ago. For history of the Aberdeen Tiger , Richard Cox wrote a book entitled "Tiger Whithout a Home" which covers from its capture, its evaluation by the US Army, and the rest of its history up until about 1990 when it was shipped overseas. The book was published by the
US Army Ordnance Museum Foundation, Inc. PO Box 688 Aberdeen Provingt Ground, Maryland 21005. I think it still sells for around $10.00.
I first saw old "712" in 1956 when it was inside the museum along with most of the German tanks. I next saw her in 1960 (outside) when I was stationed there.
The last time I saw her was in 1988 still outside rusting away. It's all a pitifully sad story. I would sure like to know where what's left of her is.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:50 PM
Panther G

Thanks guys. Im glad Mr. Wheatcroft has been compensated for his efforts. If not for him these tanks would still be sitting in a museum collecting dust.
They probably still are but some good must have come from this for Mr. Wheatcrofts collection as he was able to use this time to further his work on his Tiger.
I hope APG actually completes it's Tiger instead of just letting it rot away like the rest of the tanks.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:21 PM
twoplanekid

Tiger 131 in the movie

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bovington tiger.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	1947547  
Old 12-15-2013, 03:24 AM
Onondaga

That's awesome. I'm looking forward to hearing some great stereo sound of the mighty 131!