Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

trying to wrap my head around taigen tanks, help?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

trying to wrap my head around taigen tanks, help?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 11:18 AM
city hunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trying to wrap my head around taigen tanks, help?

I really dont get it. If the basic taigens are literally just hl tanks. Whats the point of spending an extra large chunk of change for a paint job when you can basically buy the hl metal track and gearbox versions for quite a bnit less?

I'm asking because everything I seem to read just states these basic versions ie piv and pershings seem to be no different other than some nicer paint, and possibly a better smoker system?

Are they actually using better metal gearboxes and tracks than the hl metal counterparts?
Old 11-12-2013, 11:43 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you might be getting some other Asiatam parts as well, but I am not sure. I think you need to be careful what you buy. I am like you as I don't quite get it. I think it may be that it is just easier to get a Taigen if you don't enjoy the other aspects of the hobby, like painting etc.

Honestly though never really looked at it too closely. I am happy buying the basic Heng Long and adding things I want, and painting my own. For me that is half of the enjoyment.

Last edited by YHR; 11-13-2013 at 05:43 AM.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:17 PM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm with both of you, but I come to this hobby as a modeler first. My natural inclination is towards a kit (Tamiya, Xion) first, converting a static kit (Trumpeter, Panda Hobby) second and disassembling and rebuilding a HL third.

Midlevel HL doesn't enter the equation unless it's a subject that can't be found elsewhere.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:36 AM
jrowe

I am not a modeler i dont own a air brush compressor etc.. nor all the paints it would take to paint a tank so just getting into this part of the r/c hobby world a tank that is already painted and has most the metal upgrades and a 2.4 ghz radio was appealing to me that said as i look at all the wonderful tanks that are being built and modified on this forum it has me wanting to get into the build and modify part of the hobby i am i guess just a backwards kind of guy... buy the already built model then get into the modeling aspect. My starting point just happend to be Taigen because those were the rc tanks available at my local hobby shop.

Last edited by jrowe; 11-13-2013 at 03:39 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:46 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Cool

Well, this "hobby" is a mixture of a lot of variables unlike most RC hobbies. Aircraft and boats (and even cars & trucks) are not going to go into too much detailing like armor will and has. There are those that like that and battle or don't battle but cannot paint... the Taigen tanks offer that and I wouldn't compare Apples and Oranges with the overall costs of them, just what will it take to get someone in the hobby initially then go from there.

Intimidation, fear and comfort level is available at almost any level in RC tanks. I think 'we' have it made with so much to choose from as opposed to when I first started out in 2004.

Jeff
Old 11-13-2013, 05:48 AM
YHR

Originally Posted by jrowe
I am not a modeler i dont own a air brush compressor etc.. nor all the paints it would take to paint a tank so just getting into this part of the r/c hobby world a tank that is already painted and has most the metal upgrades and a 2.4 ghz radio was appealing to me that said as i look at all the wonderful tanks that are being built and modified on this forum it has me wanting to get into the build and modify part of the hobby i am i guess just a backwards kind of guy... buy the already built model then get into the modeling aspect. My starting point just happend to be Taigen because those were the rc tanks available at my local hobby shop.
Good points, Proof that a good looking entry level tanks does have a place in this hobby. Also the fact that Taigen are appealing to Shop owners is an important part of the distribution. Maybe a little more margin to work with then the base HL tank. If it gets people in the hobby then it is better for all of us.

Cheers
Old 11-13-2013, 09:20 AM
city hunter

so am I correct then assuming that some of the taigen tanks are no more than basic metal versions of the henglong tanks with a paint job?

It would be nice to get a list of tanks that are actually upgraded with the asiatam parts, and what are just flat out metal tracked and gearboxed henglong tanks. Right now I know the early tiger is upgraded, but thats about it.

I believe the m26, and pIV are just heng long tanks with no upgrades?
Old 11-13-2013, 10:38 AM
YHR

Those exaclty are the questions you should be asking of the vendors selling them.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:02 PM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A few of the Taigen models are basically fully upgraded HL tanks with asiatam parts. There is no difference between Asiatam and Taigen, as far as I know and anyone has informed me its a simple re-branding for North American distributing.

The "actual" upgraded tanks are the Tiger I (with metal hull, torsion bars, metal hull hatches, and several other mods like the cupula & optional metal wheels / tracks), the KV-2 (same, asiatam hull, wheels, etc), the Panzer III, (metal hull, tracks, wheels, depends), and of course the stug with the same lower hull as the Pnz III.

The Pershing, Panzer IV, and other models that never had a major Asiatam upgrade are basically HL tanks with bits added from Asiatam stock, like tracks, sprockets, and that sort of thing.

Answering your initial question, no, they aren't different from Heng-Long basics, but they are nice looking & can be a good deal if you want those specific upgrades.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:51 PM
herrmill

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

This is exactly what Erwin of IMPACT & I told HL's laoban to do more than a few years ago when IMPACT tried doing a deal with them on quality upgrades. Add some metal parts, paint 'em pretty colors & pack 'em in different boxes to cater towards the RC hobbyist with a new line to differentiate themselves from the toy business.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:53 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

It's worth pointing out that the plastic tiger top is actually pretty sweet and a big step up from the heng long. Also the taigens tend to be much cheaper than buying a henglong and then buying the parts separatly.