Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

MATO Tiger 1 all metal

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 11:29 AM
Bulldogger
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MATO Tiger 1 all metal

Looking to get one for my husband for Christmas, he has a Heng long that the cat damages basically buy sitting on the barrel. Looking to upgrade to something a lot more durable and can switch all the parts over. My question is can a recoil barrel and unit be used along with the airsoft gun that he already has or it is one or the other. Next are these tanks a lot stronger then their plastic counter part? Last question best place to buy we are in the USA. Thanks Eileen
Old 11-22-2013, 01:51 PM
FreakyDude

Eileen
If you have a metal tiger and your cat sits on it he may not break the barrel but he will break the mechanisms holding the barrel. This is a bad toy for a cat so tell him to stop playing with it lol The body upper and lower is stronger than the plastic one and is more durable, wouldn't worry about it falling apart unless dropped then you may have a different story . a BB barrel or airsoft can not be used with a recoil unit as it is quite a modification to make them work in unison ( some have done it but there is no commercial unit currently available to do want you want ) your best bet in my opinion is too look at other tanks like the Taigen metal version which is my opinion a better tank or throw in just a bit more money and buy your guy a Tamiya Tiger 1 kit. either way though keep the cat away from the tank
Only place I know of that stocks the mato tiger 1 is matomart.com others can get it but they have to order it in.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:12 PM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Artistichobbies.com lists a Taigen all metal Tiger for sale. I don't have a Taigen or Mato, but believe they are clones. Just the internals are different, but the Taigen all metal has electronics already (Mato comes without electronics) and is much cheaper than the Mato...and Artistic is in Texas. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:54 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IF you are looking for an all metal tank I would suggest the Metal Stug or PZIII. These have torsion bar suspension and are more accurate. As far as I know Mato is the only company that produces an all metal tank, The Asiatam ones have metal inserts inside the plastic hull. Mato are all metal.

Last edited by YHR; 11-23-2013 at 01:20 AM.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:27 PM
Bulldogger

Originally Posted by YHR
IF you are looking for an all metal tank I would suggest the Metal Stug or PZIII. These have torsion bar suspension and are more accurate. As far as I know Mato is the only company that produces and all metal tank, The Asiatam ones have metal inserts inside the plastic hull. Mato are all metal.

This is why I mentioned the MATO, because it was all metal. I don't think he is worried about the accuracy just a stronger more reliable tank. Plus the Tiger inside looked nice and flat for putting in the electronics.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:56 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

does this cat hate tanks how big is this cat ....lol darn cat....lmao
if you get the all metal ones i think the Panzer III comes with a turret ring and gearboxes you would have to get a elevation motor and a turret motor and Electronics the Stug i would think just the elevation motor and electronics
Old 11-23-2013, 05:52 AM
Bulldogger

Originally Posted by Airbrushler
does this cat hate tanks how big is this cat ....lol darn cat....lmao
if you get the all metal ones i think the Panzer III comes with a turret ring and gearboxes you would have to get a elevation motor and a turret motor and Electronics the Stug i would think just the elevation motor and electronics
Cat actually walked on the top of tank top play with the antenna and then when he sat down he broke the barrel mount area. Barrel was metal but the actual piece that held it in was a thin horseshoe shaped piece of plastic. Not worried about the electronics because all running gear is going to be transferred from the HL to the metal tank, oh and the cat weighs 11lbs and is adorable.

Last edited by Bulldogger; 11-23-2013 at 05:55 AM.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:17 AM
reyemmanuel

Hi Eileen,

As your cat is most likely to sit on the other cat, i mean, tiger.... grab your husband....ahhhmmm..an all metal stug III. This one is neither a cat...(w/c i guess your cat got attracted to as it knew it was another cat) nor had a turret rotation gear (this is what broke off the tiger 1) as the stug has no turret. Alternatively, buy your hubby a turret rotation gear (less than 5 bucks, to replace the broken one), and get a real cat for your existing cat to play with =)...everyone happy except mato

Last edited by reyemmanuel; 11-23-2013 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:48 AM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Bulldogger
Looking to get one for my husband for Christmas, he has a Heng long that the cat damages basically buy sitting on the barrel.
You could get a 1/6 Tiger I. That could sit on the cat.

or

Get a dog to supply infantry support while the tank is on a mission. It's well documented tank operations doctrine that tanks can't
successfully operate in an urban environment without close infantry support...

Jerry
Old 11-23-2013, 09:07 AM
EugeniRUS

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mato Tiger I is a big piece of sh.. The quality of the details leaves much to be desired.
My advice is to find something else.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:54 AM
Frantz70

If kitty wants to sit on something that moves, get him this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of2HU3LGdbo
Old 11-23-2013, 01:43 PM
YHR

Originally Posted by EugeniRUS
Mato Tiger I is a big piece of sh.. The quality of the details leaves much to be desired.
My advice is to find something else.

It as good as the HL but there are other Metal tanks that are much better now like the PZIII .
Old 11-23-2013, 04:04 PM
Bulldogger

Originally Posted by YHR
It as good as the HL but there are other Metal tanks that are much better now like the PZIII .
What make the PZIII better? is the design poor on the tiger? do the wheels or suspension arms break fall off, I am confused as they are made by the same company.

Last edited by Bulldogger; 11-23-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:09 PM
Bulldogger

Originally Posted by reyemmanuel
Hi Eileen,

As your cat is most likely to sit on the other cat, i mean, tiger.... grab your husband....ahhhmmm..an all metal stug III. This one is neither a cat...(w/c i guess your cat got attracted to as it knew it was another cat) nor had a turret rotation gear (this is what broke off the tiger 1) as the stug has no turret. Alternatively, buy your hubby a turret rotation gear (less than 5 bucks, to replace the broken one), and get a real cat for your existing cat to play with =)...everyone happy except mato
Not the turret rotation gear the whole barrel pulled out breaking the mount that secures the whole part in exposing the airsoft unit. Unit still rotates and elevates mantlet just falls out.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:16 PM
YHR

The Metal Tiger was Mato's first attempt, and they basically took a Heng Long and made the same thing out of metal. There are a number of inaccuracies in the Heng Long Tiger, and these just transferred over to the Metal Version. I don't think it is a bad tank, it is just that the PZIII and Stug have improved torsion bar suspension and are just more accurate. I have the Tiger, and the Stug
Old 11-23-2013, 05:11 PM
Bulldogger

YHR,
other then the more accurate suspension, is there any problem with the tiger suspension system? Does it work properly is the quality of material on par with the other two units, if you took accuracy of the original design out the equation what is the quality of the tank then. Thanks
Old 11-23-2013, 08:11 PM
YHR

The Metal casting is good and the suspension OK. It comes with metal wheels and rubber tires on the wheels. The suspension is the same as the plastic one except done in metal and it works fine, There is some interference between the gears and the Hatch well on the front. I had to take a grinder to it as the top of the gears were touching the hatch well and it made a heck of a noise So it is not without some work, but if some time is spent on it, it will be fine

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020209.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	1941687   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000154.JPG
Views:	346
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	1941688   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000161.JPG
Views:	328
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	1941689   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000185.JPG
Views:	396
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	1941690   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000188.JPG
Views:	347
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	1941691  
Old 11-23-2013, 09:26 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

and when you paint them they look even better!!!

Name:	PDR_1764.JPG
Views:	337
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	1941695   Click image for larger version

Name:	PDR_1767.JPG
Views:	372
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	1941696  
Old 11-24-2013, 07:29 AM
Bulldogger

Originally Posted by Airbrushler

and when you paint them they look even better!!!
That looks great I really don't see where that doesn't look real, maybe it isn't an accurate reproduction but that is one totally cool looking tank

Last edited by Bulldogger; 11-24-2013 at 07:42 AM.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:33 AM
Bulldogger

Originally Posted by YHR
The Metal casting is good and the suspension OK. It comes with metal wheels and rubber tires on the wheels. The suspension is the same as the plastic one except done in metal and it works fine, There is some interference between the gears and the Hatch well on the front. I had to take a grinder to it as the top of the gears were touching the hatch well and it made a heck of a noise So it is not without some work, but if some time is spent on it, it will be fine

The inside looks completely flat and a good place for the electronics. Is the Panzer and Stug flat on the inside also or do you need to make a plate to lay the electronics on because of the torsion bar suspension? Also you seem to have more electronics in you tank that what he has in his what is the stuff right of the TK-18 board first picture? Thanks

Last edited by Bulldogger; 11-24-2013 at 07:38 AM.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:03 AM
YHR

This has a Battle Armor DBC3 that converts the electronics over to hobby grade so you can use a proper transmitter. You also get Tamiya compatible IR, momentum, removes the excessive HL recoil hull Jerk and it allows you to add a Benedini sound module to it later.

The tanks with Torsion bar suspension come with a piece clear acrylic that you use as a base.. I toss that and use styrene as acrylic is brittle and cracks too easy for my liking.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:33 PM
Bulldogger

Okay if some one knows the name of the grey piece that would help. The grey piece is what is broken in the tank. The second picture also shows the same piece on a side view where the mounting holes are also broken. These holes are where it mounts to the screws on the airsoft cannon which is the black piece. Basically the grey piece secures the barrel to the mantlet , and then is screwed to the black airsoft unit using the screws in the picture. This is what keeps everything in place. Next question is this the same design on the metal MATO unit or is the barrel fastener made of metal. Thanks Again

Name:	DSC_2007.JPG
Views:	352
Size:	2.13 MB
ID:	1942360   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2008.JPG
Views:	303
Size:	2.95 MB
ID:	1942363   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2009.JPG
Views:	354
Size:	2.80 MB
ID:	1942364  
Old 11-27-2013, 02:51 PM
YHR

You can probably send that picture to Mato and they will sell you a replacement part.

This part would be metal on the metal Tiger