Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Super Smoker II ?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 06:54 PM
T Skaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Smoker II ?????

Has anyone out there used the Super Smoker II? I had the unit in my Tiger 1 but returned it because the smoke discharge was minimal and the wiring hook up's messed up my stick positions on my transmitter. The stick positions were way out of wack. And then for some reason it started leaking, had a puddle of solution in the hull. I have read on this forum that some of you guys are not to fond of smoke units in your tanks. So maybe this is why? They seem to be real touchy. You can't let them run dry or else they will burn out, you fill them to much and they won't work and there is no way you can tell how much solution is left in them. Anyone?????
Old 12-20-2013, 07:16 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They are problematic. I just started building acoustic smokers, not sure how long they will last. Inside the smoke is OK , outside I doubt you will see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjHhhQcwtkE&feature=gp-n-y
Old 12-20-2013, 07:29 PM
T Skaz

Hi Dan, That looks great!!!!! What is a acoustic smoker? I will be ordering from you in the near future Benedini sound board and maybe a acoustic smoke unit for my Tiger 1. I corresponded with you via email regarding the Benedini board and you were very helpful in answering my questions. That sound from the Benedini is a must have for me. Thanks
Old 12-20-2013, 11:09 PM
YHR

The sound waves drive the smoke, so the set up is very simple. I learned about the concept here on this forum from a fellow member.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:51 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I messed around with the designs out there, trying different fans, reserves, tubing, heating elements, etc, but at the end of the day, the payoff wasn't worth the hassle in terms of hull space, maintenance and possibility of damage with the element or oil. When used outside, it's barely visible and the slightest breeze, it's gone. Even if it did work beautifully, telltale columns of smoke aren't good if you're trying to hide in battle. Certainly not worth it to me.

The only one I'd consider at this point would be Benedini's, it uses the same element that a vaporizor does so it uses water, but if I recall correctly, it was very expensive.

Last edited by ausf; 12-21-2013 at 05:54 AM.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:09 AM
T Skaz

So would you still recommend a smoke unit? Sounds like you are not fond of them. Like me a big hassle.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:13 AM
strmnd54

The acoustic smoker is a project that I started about a year ago...
At this point in time, I have built 3 prototypes: one of them is in my Pershing, the second is for further testings; and the third one is gonna be sent to Dan (YHR) for evaluation & testing with the Benedini sound module...
So far, the results are promising; but there's always room for improvment...http://youtu.be/MhGdqQ0LOOM
Old 12-21-2013, 07:19 AM
T Skaz

Nice! Thanks
Old 12-21-2013, 07:52 AM
YHR

Personally I am not sold on the smokers. A customer wanted one in a tank I am outfitting for him so I put one together. The result is OK, but like Ausf says, outside the smoke just disappears.

The Benedini smokers are expensive. $180, but they use an ultrasonic set up. In winter you would have to be careful of freeze up, but I imagine the water vapour in the freezing cold weather would really generate some decent visible "smoke"

Strmnd54. Look forward to seeing what you have produced there. Your idea on this acoustic version has made smokers worth looking at again. I have given up completely on the HL ones. Wasted hours with oily fingers is all I got out of those.

Cheers
Old 12-21-2013, 08:57 AM
T Skaz

Thanks for your opinion Dan! I'm not sold on them and your opinion solidifies my opinion. I was thinking about giving them another try but I just would be frustrated with it again.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:05 AM
FreakyDude

T Skaz how can a smoker mess with the stick positions on your transmitter? I don't understand what you mean by saying that. The smoker should have absolutely nothing to do with the stick positions.
As for the puddle there was either a crack in the smoker or it was overfilled that can be your only answers for that.
I personally don't run smokers but that is because I battle my tanks and every bit of battery counts. If you could clarify what you mean about stick positions maybe I can help you, what board are you running? what radio system?
Old 12-21-2013, 10:03 AM
T Skaz

The smoker comes with a circuit board which mates up with my Clark Tk22 and I have a Hobby King 2.4 transmitter. Did all the proper connections and R-turn was now left and L-turn was now right. Backwards was forward and it would no longer go backwards. When I eliminated the smoker and connected everything back the way it was, everything ran normal. So boo hoo with smokers.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:55 PM
FreakyDude

T Skaz so all you had to do to fix this was reverse channels 1 and 4 on your radio. As for the tank not going backwards when the board from the smoker changed the direction it also changed the trim settings. the fix should take less than 5 minutes. All you need to do is plug in the programmer cable and boom. If you need it I have a standard file with all the settings that I could e-mail you.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:20 PM
T Skaz

Thanks for that info. I never received with the transmitter a programmer cable from Hobby King and they never would answer my emails regarding this. I could never understand why they labeled my transmitter programmable when it came with no disk or cables. The stick locations for the various functions are different than what is suppose to be standard on a 2.4 transmitter running a Clark board. But it's not crazy different and I can live with it. Like the MG may fire at 10 o'clock instead of 7, you know stuff like that. So I came to the conclusion it is not a programmable transmitter, even thought it says so. I'll just leave it as is and forget using a smoke unit. Thanks though!!!! But it may be a different story when I hook a Benedini to the Clark seeing the Smoker screwed things up. So I might be needing some help.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:37 PM
FreakyDude

T Skaz let me know if you want a programmer cord, I can lend you one, Hobby King is lame for not telling people they need the USB programmer cable

For all thos that have this HKT6A radio your best bet is to Stefano Degrassi's digital radio program, it is so much easier to use and runs on almost every platform get it here http://www.sgr.info/usbradio/features.htm
and its only a couple bucks
Old 12-22-2013, 04:49 PM
T Skaz

Thanks FreakyDude, I appreciate your help! I may just need it! T Skaz
Old 12-22-2013, 05:05 PM
YHR

I use the same program, and have the T6A programming cables. If a Benedini is on your shopping list, I can supply you with the cable as well file to set up your T6 That is about the only thing I don't like about the T6A. Reversing the trims takes a computer. It would have been so much easier if this transmitter was designed with the switches on the front face so you could just do this manually

Cheers
Old 12-22-2013, 05:49 PM
T Skaz

Thanks Dan, Yes I will be ordering one from you soon. Hoping in next 2 weeks. T Skaz
Old 12-22-2013, 06:27 PM
mcm308

Originally Posted by YHR
They are problematic. I just started building acoustic smokers, not sure how long they will last. Inside the smoke is OK , outside I doubt you will see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjHhhQcwtkE&feature=gp-n-y
Dan... That is just nuts ! Puffs with the engine cranking... Nothing like a diesel starting on a cold morning! Hahahaha
Old 12-23-2013, 05:57 AM
YHR

This went up in smoke last night. More wasted time with this concept. Every time I work on these the result is the same. Wasted time and an oily workbench

Looks cool.....................for awhile.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:01 AM
YHR

Originally Posted by T Skaz
Thanks Dan, Yes I will be ordering one from you soon. Hoping in next 2 weeks. T Skaz
I am sold out of Benedini's right now. I have a shipment coming in, but the Christmas rush at the post office has them taking forever to get here. They were supposed to be delivered on the 20th, so unless they lose them or have lost them, you should be good, but right now I don't have any
Old 12-23-2013, 06:34 AM
T Skaz

Thanks for the heads up!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-28-2014, 06:55 AM
nyleatherneck

Properly connecting the Super Smoker II to a Clark TK series board should not cause any problems with the radio. I use them on all of my tanks equipped with Clark TK-22 boards with no problem. Have you checked the battery voltage? I have found that a battery not fully charged causes a lot of different problems and makes the tank control erratic regardless of what radio you use.
Yes running a smoke unit will cut down on run time. The Super Smoker II draws about 2.4 amps. Depending on the battery size it will shorten run time.

Yes there is no way of telling how much fluid is in the unit, that is true of all smoke units. Too much fluid, no smoke. Too little fluid, no smoke. If any one can come up with a fluid level gauge for the smoker let me know, I have been trying for a while now and have nothing. The best result is when you start the unit add fluid about every 15 to 20 minutes of operation.

Since taking over the production of the Super Smoker II I have made and sold over 1500 of these units and yes there have been some that fail, usually due to running them without fluid, but the vast majority are out there still smoking. The late Phil Pfluger from RC Tank Wars sold hundreds also, same design and those are still working. The design is good and they do smoke when operated properly and I am always trying to make them better, more reliable.
By the way if you look at the Youtube video of the Super Smoker, that video was created by the person who originally designed the Super Smoker. It worked then and still works.
Carl
Old 02-28-2014, 12:20 PM
T Skaz

Not doing RC tanks any more but good luck Carl. Sticking to my first love 1/35 military models / dioramas. Wish you well in in all your endeavors. T Skaz
Old 03-01-2014, 03:22 PM
FreakyDude

Carl with regard to the fluid level. What if you had a window with a piece of wicking cloth in it, the wick I believe has a different color wet than dry. Obviously if the wick was wet it might tell you everything is good, in addition the extra oil in the wicking cloth might give you longer life.
Not saying it would work but it is an idea.

Originally Posted by nyleatherneck
Properly connecting the Super Smoker II to a Clark TK series board should not cause any problems with the radio. I use them on all of my tanks equipped with Clark TK-22 boards with no problem. Have you checked the battery voltage? I have found that a battery not fully charged causes a lot of different problems and makes the tank control erratic regardless of what radio you use.
Yes running a smoke unit will cut down on run time. The Super Smoker II draws about 2.4 amps. Depending on the battery size it will shorten run time.

Yes there is no way of telling how much fluid is in the unit, that is true of all smoke units. Too much fluid, no smoke. Too little fluid, no smoke. If any one can come up with a fluid level gauge for the smoker let me know, I have been trying for a while now and have nothing. The best result is when you start the unit add fluid about every 15 to 20 minutes of operation.

Since taking over the production of the Super Smoker II I have made and sold over 1500 of these units and yes there have been some that fail, usually due to running them without fluid, but the vast majority are out there still smoking. The late Phil Pfluger from RC Tank Wars sold hundreds also, same design and those are still working. The design is good and they do smoke when operated properly and I am always trying to make them better, more reliable.
By the way if you look at the Youtube video of the Super Smoker, that video was created by the person who originally designed the Super Smoker. It worked then and still works.
Carl

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.