Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Switching to taigen tanks.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Switching to taigen tanks.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 02:38 PM
Der Vista Fux

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switching to taigen tanks.

I started my collection with an early tiger from taigen tanks. It was great. Not being up on what's good and what's bad, I didn't know tamyia, or any of the other brands. Then I hooked on to the mato site in Canada, and discovered H. L.
which I readily found to be terrible. The six I have all came to me with something wrong. I bought two Tigers, one strum III, which my friend gutteerred and replaced the insides with TamiyIa. Fourth was a desert colored Rad., the fifth was demo panzer III, which my friend is changing now. The sixth is a Pershing, that's being repaired. I will convert that one to. I believe in realism, that means recoiling barrels, tamyia battle systems. As real looking as possible, and sounding real. Then I rediscovered taigen. A tank that has almost everything I want, and cheaper. It costs a fortune to buy a tank, and then convert it to what u want. By buying the T. Tank, it's at least half the price when finished. In two weeks, I'll have
6 t. Tanks, three with ir, which I also found will fight my two of H.L. Ir's. I can't wait to get taigen American and Russian ir's.

Ihave two questions: 1- can u put tamyia battle systems in taigen. 2-What's your opinion of Taigen.

thanks for reading.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:22 PM
PanzerAce
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally do not own any Taigen tanks. I know the parts they use as far as hulls and metal components are great. I have a Tamiya early Tiger 1 and I must say I have put it through everything that you probably shouldn't put an Rc tank through and it is still just fine other than the 3 teeth I stripped off of 1 gear. Which didn't even happen while running it hard. The tamiya battle systems are not directly compatible with taigen and H.L. but with aftermarket electronics which you are putting in it is more than possible. Couple guys on here can fully hook you up with really in depth answers.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:34 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well Taigen tanks currently are HL molds with asiatam metal parts added. Depending on what you want and what Model you get will determine its relative value to a stock Heng Long, If you are not the kind of guy that likes to do all these upgrades yourself, I think the Taigen is probably the tank you want. Most of them have pretty decent paint applied as well.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:41 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for the nice comments guys
As for your questions:
1. Yes, tamiya compatible battle systems can be put in our tanks. The most popular right now (that I get asked about anyways) are Clark boards, MAKO boards, and IBU. Each has its ups and downs. Like Panzerace stated, there are people here more than willing to help a fellow tanker out there.
2. I would hope that since I started working for Taigen in early 2013 that confidence is growing in our brand. Reaching out and communicating with our customers makes a world of difference these days. I enjoy talking to my tankers and hearing opinions. I pass along info to my boss and he also reads the forums. I also give sneak peaks to new items and things here on RCU first
Old 01-02-2014, 04:51 PM
FreakyDude

A person could write a novel on Tank choices and what you can do with them.
Der Vista it is kind of easier for you to decide what you want then research the parts or component sets available. Nobody here can tell you what you want.
The Tamiya systems will fit in the Taigen but I really do recommend you look at the other systems before you drop all your bucks on a Tamiya electronic package. Tamiya has lost tons of ground on the quality of their electronics in recent years and you can get better for less money.
Electronics only before all the Tamiya fans start thinking I slagged the models or company themselves.

Taigen tanks - Yes they are for the most part Heng Long molds BUT the suspensions ( Torsion bars, metal lowers ) are a big step above anything HL has. The torsion bar suspensions and metal lowers are worth the extra doh ray me. The new tanks coming I hope have the same but time will tell. The paint jobs for some are worth the extra cash as well, Nicest part of them is the part availability, HL parts are hard to get the Taigens not so. Its easy to scrounge up some Taigen parts. Their sales network is growing so is support for their product, All important things if you are going to own a couple of them.
I have had some chats with Imex about what I want to see and they do seem to listen so that is a bonus. As a reseller this is key for me.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:12 AM
Der Vista Fux

Hello Eric, thanks for answering my post. My problem is, I can't find taigen, bulldogs, and pershing sand any other allied tanks. (Russian, English, and parts to my taigen's.). I would appreciate an answer. Thank you.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:27 PM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by Der Vista Fux
Hello Eric, thanks for answering my post. My problem is, I can't find taigen, bulldogs, and pershing sand any other allied tanks. (Russian, English, and parts to my taigen's.). I would appreciate an answer. Thank you.
I'm guessing you are asking what other allied tanks we have? Right now it is just the KV-1, Pershing, and Bulldog. 2014 will be an eventful year though, keep checking back with us
I can say in March we will stock KV-2's, but thats about it for now. I really do wish I could spill the beans, trust me...
Old 01-03-2014, 01:36 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Taigens are what the HL line really should have been from thge start. i realize that many people still dont want to pay 2 or 3 hundred dollars for a first tank but these have parts on them that will only be added to just about every HL tank ever bought and some point in time any way. may as well get it right the first time.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:54 PM
Der Vista Fux

Something I found out today, the apples I have, can hit two targets with the same shot. The taigen battle system demands a very close aim for a hit. There's another reason for me to stick with taigen. I know, u get different sounds with the apple, but I rather have accuracy.

Maybe, Taigen will come up with an apple for its machines that give the bells a whistles.

Last edited by Der Vista Fux; 01-04-2014 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Misspelling.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:05 AM
Despotes

A completely full metal (upper and lower) Taigen Leopard 2A6 or M1 would be amazing. Option. With or w/o electronics.
Metal upper, lower hull and turret. Metal drive wheels, idlers and road wheels and suspension arms and tracks.
M1 would be my 1st pick since nobody else has a decent offering.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:17 AM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

HI, I have a TORRO Tiger 1 which has a metal lower and turret with a plastic upper and if you are into upgrading your Tanks then it is easier with a plastic upper and if you should foul it up the cost of a plastic upper does not require long discussions with the lady in my heart or the Bank manager, take care. shaun
Old 01-04-2014, 10:26 AM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You'll find a lot of people agree with you jarndice. Metal lower hulls & drive systems are awesome, but plastic upper hulls & turrets aren't at all a negative. We like to mod, change things and drill nice clean holes in our tanks for clutter.. metal just adds weight and difficulty where it is not needed.

Once you prime and paint, nobody can tell if it's plastic or metal. Only your gearbox will...
Old 01-04-2014, 12:25 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is why who ever produces a metal tank should ensure it is accurate. I believe we will see a transformation on this .

A well done metal tank at an entry point lower then a Tamiya has an appeal all of its own, IF nothing else you can buy the metal tank and a plastic HL superstructure as a part. Do all the mods and then add all the metal pieces back onto it. Probably more cost effective then going the other way!
Old 01-04-2014, 04:35 PM
kgregorync

Congrats to the Imex guys. With HL "upgraded" tanks with metal tracks, gearboxes and 2.4Ghz approaching $300 it just makes a lot of sense to spend a few more bucks and get quality through and through.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:37 AM
Imex-Erik

Thanks all for the comments! I myself prefer a plastic upper hull and a metal lower. I think mainly it is because of the weight, but also I think I just favor plastic. It just seems more forgiving to me. I still understand the metal allure though... I just found a 1/6th metal tank upstairs that is solid metal and man.... /drool
Old 01-06-2014, 08:09 AM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Erik you're going to post pics of that, right? Or is that a secret project?
Old 01-06-2014, 08:13 AM
mcm308

The only thing i dont like is the metal turret on the plastic deck. I think its too much weight on it and it looks like my deck is actually warping from it.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:59 AM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by Strato50
Erik you're going to post pics of that, right? Or is that a secret project?
Its nothing secret, just an old 1/6th scale Sherman tank I found while looking at some of our old military model kits. I'll post just one for now, hopefully I get some spare time and the boss wants me to fix it up a bit As of now it is too heavy to get out of the box, it took two of us just to get it off the shelf.

Originally Posted by mcm308
The only thing i dont like is the metal turret on the plastic deck. I think its too much weight on it and it looks like my deck is actually warping from it.
We now carry plastic Tiger 1 turrets if you wish to abandon the metal ones. I think we are already out of the late model ones, but early I still have in stock
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00022.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	2.99 MB
ID:	1954861