Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

New from Torro/IMEX! Jagdpanzer VI! Jagdtiger!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

New from Torro/IMEX! Jagdpanzer VI! Jagdtiger!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 12:02 PM
Roboticus_Prime

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther F
Some of guys wear your feelings on your sleeves. There are FAR MORE important things to argue about than over one persons opinion about the price over a tank BUT... when you start flinging words and phrases like "hatred" and " self-righteous, holier-than-thou, condescending, smart ass, know-it-all jerk that likes to run his mouth on the internet where he knows he's safe and won't ever have to worry that his Tweety bird ass will ever be called upon to back up his alligator mouth." it gets offensive.

So anytime, anywhere. It can be backed up so grow up.

I replied as a long standing member of this forum feeling it was a POSITIVE comment and not anything negative and I'm all for new models coming out. BUT... it does need to be a little more work in the electronics field RIGHT NOW to see paying these prices. Like I said, I'll get a Jagdtiger but really wish it performed a bit better to feel comfortable about it's price tag.

So take a deep breath Gary and Chase... no one is holding anything against you for your excited passion for the hobby.

Jeff
You sure enjoy riling people up with personal attacks, don't you?
Old 09-09-2015, 02:07 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Lightbulb

Jeff
Old 09-09-2015, 03:32 PM
Captain Action

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I think this is a great looking tank and it seems to be the right size for a Jagdtiger so I will pick one up in the near future.
I look forward to reading all the cool new builds and upgrades the smart tankers will be doing to this baby. Thanks for posting ..

I also think that RC Universe should have a talk with panther F .
Old 09-09-2015, 08:15 PM
EasterBunny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Erik, do you ship to Canada? I checked the web site and I do not see any shipping info. Love the tank, it would probably be a shelf queen for me as I have too many other tanks to run, so I'm good with the specs as listed in the jpeg you posted. With the discount for RCuniverse friends I do not see the price as out of line. The Canadian to US dollar exchange rate will kill me, but that's not your fault.

Regards
Nick D
Old 09-09-2015, 08:57 PM
R|M|D Photography

One thing that I think Taigen/Imex shoots themselves in the foot with is their advertising of the MSRP vs street price. A good example being the Sherman I bought. On the Taigen site it shows a price of $639.00 and yet I was able to get one from my local hobby shop for $415.

I have not yet purchased a Tamiya tank, I think at some point I would like to get one of their Sherman's just so I can build it and sell it, but also share Gary's sentiment about it all just from how some people on here unfortunately act about them. Around the KC area the only tanks sold in stores are the Taigen tanks and that's what our lil tank club has chosen to do battles with because of such, so me getting a Tamiya tank would not provide me with anything more than the fun of the build as I wouldn't be able to battle it.

As far as performance goes, my Tiger cost my buddy $250 new and I have a metal track and sprocket/idler set on it that cost $100 and it seems unstoppable! I have been taking it our RC crawling trails doing things with it I should probably not be doing with an RC tank and would likely make most of you cringe(Lots of rocky areas and through water and such)! I have probably about 30-40 hours on it since I have gotten it from my buddy and it runs as solid as can be, I couldn't ask for a better tank! I am sure Tamiya's would be able to run just as well, maybe better, but that doesn't discount how well this thing runs for how little money is in it.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:03 PM
Elefant

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

MSRP is just another commercial trick that is supposed to give the customer the feeling he's making a bargain. This and the $9.99 thing...

Come on, $759.99 for a model that will jump back when I hit the fire button, no traverse, molded parts on the hull, unaccurate painting...
Sorry but I have the feeling that some are willing to tap into that niche market and we are slowly but surely turning into cash cows.

Just remember how it all began : a Tamiya Tiger copy that costed less than a hundred bucks (ok, it was full plastic, coupé version but with the same recoil effect !). Now forget the MSRP and let's concentrate on the real customer price : for more than 5 times more expensive, do you think you'll get what Tamiya is selling in terms of quality ?

I would have certainly bought this pretty good looking JT if I had the choice of the options : metal or not, sound, smoke, hand painted or not...etc...this way, I would have put my electronics, my paint job, purchased certainly later the metal options...etc. It is indeed how the Chinese brands made their success story, by producing cheap tanks that the customers could upgrade and turn into very accurate models or just play with them out of the box.
Getting greedy thinking the cake is big enough is not their smartest move IMHO.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:24 PM
R|M|D Photography

Another thing that you have to consider that maybe Erik can chime in with, is what percentage of Taigen/Imex is sold to the Hobbyist vs sold as toys. I know from being friends with the local hobby shop owners that sell them that the majority that they sell have been to non hobbyist types. Parents buying them for kids, guys into other RC that just want a cool novelty...that type of thing. They also sell majorly airsoft for this reason. Again, I would love to here from Erik, but I would not be surprised if we are not the majority of their demographic. I also think how they have their tanks tiered in price is smart as well. They have plenty of tanks in the $250 range for people to get their feet wet with and then the more expensive tanks like this one that they can move up to, plus all kinds of parts to upgrade those $250 tanks like I did with the tiger.

Last edited by R|M|D Photography; 09-09-2015 at 10:26 PM.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:53 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It all comes down to marketing. If people feel they are getting value for the money they spend, they will likely spend more.

Imex has done a great job of getting the tanks out to hobby shops, and Erik has done a great job servicing what they sell. This approach has them increasing their market share, and putting them in a position of influence in the hobby. I am already seeing that.

I am am always amazed at how ugly some of these threads get when the comparisons are made. I run both, with a bunch of hybrid stuff in between. It is too bad this turned into what it did. People in the past have talked about the elitist Tamiya owners, and wouldn't it be nice to spend that kind of money are now spending $500 or $600 on RTR tanks that need $ 200 worth of electronics, and still think Tamiya are too expensive

That my friends,is good marketing
Old 09-10-2015, 06:05 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by EasterBunny
Hi Erik, do you ship to Canada? I checked the web site and I do not see any shipping info. Love the tank, it would probably be a shelf queen for me as I have too many other tanks to run, so I'm good with the specs as listed in the jpeg you posted. With the discount for RCuniverse friends I do not see the price as out of line. The Canadian to US dollar exchange rate will kill me, but that's not your fault.

Regards
Nick D
Yes, we ship to Canada quite frequently Make sure to get a hold of me first and I'll make sure your tank is packed extra well for the journey ok?
Originally Posted by R|M|D Photography
Another thing that you have to consider that maybe Erik can chime in with, is what percentage of Taigen/Imex is sold to the Hobbyist vs sold as toys. I know from being friends with the local hobby shop owners that sell them that the majority that they sell have been to non hobbyist types. Parents buying them for kids, guys into other RC that just want a cool novelty...that type of thing. They also sell majorly airsoft for this reason. Again, I would love to here from Erik, but I would not be surprised if we are not the majority of their demographic. I also think how they have their tanks tiered in price is smart as well. They have plenty of tanks in the $250 range for people to get their feet wet with and then the more expensive tanks like this one that they can move up to, plus all kinds of parts to upgrade those $250 tanks like I did with the tiger.
Yea the pricing structure may be confusing to some but we are not focused on retail sales. IMEX is a distributor with lots of reach and experience, our focus is to get these into more hobby shops and in doing so we do not like to compete with them on price. This also encourages our hobbyists to buy from the dealers, boosting your local economy and making the dealers more interested in tanking.
As for the majority of customers, yes they are not as modeling focused as here on RCU. Also yes, airsoft is the vast majority (around 95%) of our sales. In fact, hearing of airsoft tank battles is not uncommon in my emails The same thing goes for the metal versus plastic tanks. Personally I would figure the plastic tanks would sell more due to being a lower price and easier to get into the hobby.... Yea so totally wrong there (bossman call that). The metal edition tanks sell easily 10:1 to our plastic edition tanks. People enjoy metal and if given the choice will most of the time choose metal.
Please also remember and forgive me if I sound like a broken record, but Taigen will be changing a lot over the coming years. 2016 is going to be a VERY busy year...
Originally Posted by YHR
It all comes down to marketing. If people feel they are getting value for the money they spend, they will likely spend more.

Imex has done a great job of getting the tanks out to hobby shops, and Erik has done a great job servicing what they sell. This approach has them increasing their market share, and putting them in a position of influence in the hobby. I am already seeing that.

I am am always amazed at how ugly some of these threads get when the comparisons are made. I run both, with a bunch of hybrid stuff in between. It is too bad this turned into what it did. People in the past have talked about the elitist Tamiya owners, and wouldn't it be nice to spend that kind of money are now spending $500 or $600 on RTR tanks that need $ 200 worth of electronics, and still think Tamiya are too expensive

That my friends,is good marketing
Well we also provide service and support for that as well, and as you hopefully have seen pretty decent at that I do everything from making personal how to videos for customers (specific for that customer) to handling dealers. The dealer and retail experience I provide is a very good one, I am passionate about the tanks and they know it.

I really do wish to see Taigen step above the game, but without all your help we cannot do this. Let's keep this civil, but honest. I've always stated I'm your middleman for things and I can't fix things without feedback. I am always watching though I don't usually jump in once the fighting has started. I personally never hold a grudge or care what is said in rage on the forums, that is the internet and I grew up with it. It is normal to me
Old 09-10-2015, 06:14 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes as I mentioned you do a great job of servicing what you sell. You haven't been growing market share by accident
Old 09-10-2015, 06:22 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by YHR
Yes as I mentioned you do a great job of servicing what you sell. You haven't been growing market share by accident
Thanks! I try my best