Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Assault Camo thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 07:58 PM
billinmillstonenj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Assault Camo thoughts?

Looking for advice...

I'm looking to paint my Tamiya Tiger 1 (which is coming on Tuesday) an assault camo pattern and I really like the Sturm Tiger pattern I'm posting below. I've yet to find a picture of a Tiger 1 with this exact pattern and, understanding everything is permisable in "Bill's world", I'm wondering if anyone has seen a Tiger 1 with this pattern in a book or on the web?

Regards

Bill

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide1.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	1964809  
Old 02-02-2014, 09:08 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont think thats an actual wartime paint job. Looks like a Museum "make it work" job. For sure some of the late Tigers had the ambush, not sure about the dogbone shape on the mantlet/gun shield though. Also you may have to think about changing your tamiya wheels to late steel wheels with that paint scheme since it was a late scheme.

Last edited by TheBennyB; 02-02-2014 at 09:11 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:55 PM
B/Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I built my Tiger I decided to model it on Das Reich S33 at Kursk which is a fairly well known tank. I spent hours researching b&w pictures of the actual tank and then more hours looking at the multitude of models of S33 on the web. Every one of them was different in some way and in the end I just picked the one I liked most and went with something similar. It's probably not very close to the actual camo scheme on the real tank but I like it and I'm happy with it.
At the end of the day, it's your tank and if you're satisfied that's all that really matters. I'm still looking for a copy of "The Big Book of Colour Photos of Every Paint Scheme Used on Tiger Tanks" but it doesn't seem to exist so I think there is a fair bit of artistic interpretation that can be used when deciding on camo schemes.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:13 AM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hinterhalt “light and shadow”otherwise known as “ambush pattern” was never used on Tiger I, the series ended before this type of camouflage was introduced though some Sturmtiger were painted in this pattern a number of Tiger II also had this pattern though it was a factory paint job, Panther G from the M,A,N factory for 2- 3 weeks in November 1944 also had this pattern and lastly Panzer IV again I think this was also a factory paint job though I’m unsure as to which factory
Old 02-03-2014, 06:48 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's one of my favorite patterns, I've just never built anything in 1/16 that had it. Rivetcounter hit the mark as to where it was used. You usually see it on Sturms in the modeling world, since you've got this big square box, but there were very few of them in reality. It was designed to look light sunlight variations on foliage.

It's relatively easy to pull off, you just make a mask with the dog bone cutouts and keep rotating as you spray.

If you want to pull out your artistic license and do it on a Tiger I, go ahead.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:48 AM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There where only 19 Sturm tigers built in total so not many schemes to choose from in the first place.