Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Trying a new technique...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Trying a new technique...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 04:30 PM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trying a new technique...

I want to really highlight the texture of the JS-2, so I'm going for a worn whitewash, but instead of weathering with pigments, I'm washing it down with matte varnish and thinned Model Air paint.

I just did the turret so far, is it too dull or does it read?

The hull right below it hasn't been done, you can see more of the green.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	test.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	1965780  

Last edited by ausf; 02-05-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:49 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

i like it, it seems to hi-light the welds
Old 02-05-2014, 04:51 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

To me it looks spot on! I am not clear on what you did here. You layed downa coat of matte varnish and then hit it with a very thinned mix of white? You certainly achieved a great appearence here. Very impressive!
Old 02-05-2014, 05:04 PM
mcovalsk

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Weathering is like movies some people like them other don't. What matters in my humble opinion is the result, then what you used is secondary, by the way looks very well really.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:01 PM
billinmillstonenj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it. looks like its almost like dust dried into the texture of the metal. really interesting effect
Old 02-05-2014, 07:24 PM
ausf

Thanks for the input guys.

I primed and painted with Vallejo's Russian Green and coated with Future. Then I sprayed coats on very thin off white and Dark Yellow. Once dry, I rubbed those off with a rag and water. That's what I'd normally do, but instead of sealing, washing and rubbing on dry pigments, I washed/sealed with dark dry pigment in Future and added tinted matte varnish to get rid of the shine. I'm not sold on the streaking though. I did the rest of the horizontal surfaces of the turret and I'm going to let it sit overnight and take a look at it tomorrow, hopefully in sunlight.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:30 PM
Pershing101

ausf,
Can you elaborate on what you did after the first sealant coat of Future? When you say you added dark dry pigment (pastels/chalk?) to Future and also added matte varnish (brand?) to eliminate the shine, how exactly did you accomplish the effect? Was it a few coats, or just one? I have a Tamiya Pershing I am putting through a long needed upgrade and overhaul process and I want to moderately weather the olive drab base coat, and your process looks like a good way to go. What color do you suggest I spay on the OD to get a good result for a Korean War M-26? Perhaps thinned white and yellow, like you did, would be appropriate? Thank you. Your JS-2 looks great to me!
Old 02-07-2014, 02:45 PM
ausf

I seal the basecoat with a glossy finish (in my case Future) so the whitewash can be scrubbed to look worn without damaging the basecoat. I sprayed the white and yellow where I want the whitewash, then rub it off around the edges to get the effect.

Then I seal it again to get it glossy so a thin wash will take to capillary action and get in the crevices. In this case, I brushed on the second sealing coat because I added dry pigments to it for staining. No brand name, I have 80 lb bags of the stuff in my basement, but any will work, it was a dark brown color. This adds another neat effect because the second coat of Future rewets the other if brushed hard, causing the whitewash to damage more. You have to be careful not to brush hard if you don't want that.

To eliminate the shine, a thin coat of matte varnish was brushed on with a few drops of grey khaki added to bring out the yellowish effect (both Vallejo). Again it was brushed to create streaks, but for a solid appearance it can be sprayed. You can also spray a real light dusting coat of any flat paint to kill the shine of your gloss coat.

If you just want a plain whitewash slightly worn, I did that on my Tiger I: Basecoat, Future, whitewash, rub and forget. It was dark Panzer grey, not washed and further weather was done by driving it.

Last edited by ausf; 02-07-2014 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:52 PM
thecommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look great Jeff.

Now we need a little weather cooperation for a NEAD battle day. last year we it didn't last until the weekends this year we get snowed out. We were nearly snowed out for the January event and I was planning one for this past Sunday but the weather man said don't do it....he was right...again. That was the 3rd snow storm in a week for those not in the NYC metro area. Perhaps a foot coming for Wed night now.....WOW. I was just skiing in Vernon and drove past Sterling & Mt Pater on Rt 17. They were packed.

We will all need winter camo for the next NEAD battle day.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:50 PM
ausf

Originally Posted by thecommander
Look great Jeff.

Now we need a little weather cooperation for a NEAD battle day. last year we it didn't last until the weekends this year we get snowed out. We were nearly snowed out for the January event and I was planning one for this past Sunday but the weather man said don't do it....he was right...again. That was the 3rd snow storm in a week for those not in the NYC metro area. Perhaps a foot coming for Wed night now.....WOW. I was just skiing in Vernon and drove past Sterling & Mt Pater on Rt 17. They were packed.

We will all need winter camo for the next NEAD battle day.
Well, I'm ready with this one, besides some detail painting, it's ready to fight. The Tiger I has a plow on it, the Pz IV is itching for a fight and Jason just shipped my new MFU for the T-34. Sad thing is the IV and JS-2 haven't even been outside yet.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:53 AM
billinmillstonenj

Originally Posted by ausf
I seal the basecoat with a glossy finish (in my case Future) so the whitewash can be scrubbed to look worn without damaging the basecoat. I sprayed the white and yellow where I want the whitewash, then rub it off around the edges to get the effect.

Then I seal it again to get it glossy so a thin wash will take to capillary action and get in the crevices. In this case, I brushed on the second sealing coat because I added dry pigments to it for staining. No brand name, I have 80 lb bags of the stuff in my basement, but any will work, it was a dark brown color. This adds another neat effect because the second coat of Future rewets the other if brushed hard, causing the whitewash to damage more. You have to be careful not to brush hard if you don't want that.

To eliminate the shine, a thin coat of matte varnish was brushed on with a few drops of grey khaki added to bring out the yellowish effect (both Vallejo). Again it was brushed to create streaks, but for a solid appearance it can be sprayed. You can also spray a real light dusting coat of any flat paint to kill the shine of your gloss coat.

If you just want a plain whitewash slightly worn, I did that on my Tiger I: Basecoat, Future, whitewash, rub and forget. It was dark Panzer grey, not washed and further weather was done by driving it.
Jeff, you are a houdini of this craft!