Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Heartfelt thank you from Sevastopol

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Heartfelt thank you from Sevastopol

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 03:49 AM
trackmech81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear you and the family are safe.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:19 PM
herrmill

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by rgburrill
Wow, just started reading this and it's a shame that an informational post about a fellow member's plight and situation turned ugly. Too many here in the US believe our media, being born of the First Amendment, are unbiased and non-political. And nothing could be further from the truth.
I'm not trying to be political here - I am suggesting that more people should listen to more than MSNBC or CNN.
Or Fox. Or talk radio. Sorry, just had to be "Fair & Balanced".

Lets all settle down, folks, & simply let Bob give us his side of the story. He is, after all, the one, as so correctly pointed out by several here already, whose boots are on the ground & I think its refreshing to see his commentary.

Last edited by herrmill; 03-10-2014 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:45 PM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

We are fine this morning. Everything is quiet now. As stated in another thread a few minutes ago, our blue girl Sophia woke me at 04. She hears and 'sees' things we can't, although she is slowly loosing her eyesight. I went out on the balcony and in the the far distance I could hear the mutter of a small unit engagement. Lasted about 10 minutes after she cold nosed me to wakefulness. I will know in a few minutes what happened and where but that, of course, I will not post.

However, I stress, this city is quiet as a mouse at this time. Buses will start in 15 mikes if on schedule. That is the bell weather for normality.

Gentlemen, as I stated earlier, believe nothing the media says from either side. You can read all and judge for yourselves if there is a kernel of truth or not in each article but the old saying is 'the first casualty of war is Truth'.

Buses just started as I type. Almost all the private small buses in Krim are owned and operated by our Tatari. They seem to know all and are a quite good indication of the real situation any given day. If they stop something not nice is going to happen somewhere. Schedule seems to be normal on our side of the ditch.

Last edited by sevoblast; 03-10-2014 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:37 PM
sevoblast

All is quiet on the South Front this morning. There was a difference of opinion on the other side of our little bucolic valley on the north side but about a klick away up near the Sevastopol-Alushta road, right after sunrise. Don't know what it involved but it was less than a minute.

The three young women arrested at the Sevastopol Checkpoint up near Belbek on the same road yesterday were reporters for Channel 5 in Kiev. Channel 5 is banned in Krim and Sevastopol because of the blatantly activist role in the coup up in Kiev and their penchant for photographing Militsiya and Berkut and then posting those photos on their channel news with names, addresses and sometimes even the name and photo of their wives. The first time they did that in Simferopol last week they were banned and gently put out of Krim. The young women used false passports to enter Krim on the west border checkpoint. They used different false passports at the Belbek check point and were busted. Thats 5 to 10 for each count on the passports, two counts each. No, they won't get prison time, I'm sure, but they will stay in pretrial detention until after the election this Sunday. This news was reported on western news as '3 young women were kidnapped in Krimea. Police found them in Sevastopol and are negotiating with the Self Defense members who kidnapped them'. Now, to give you an example of the 'other side' news, it was reported and shown live as it happened by our local news channel, and I recognized two of the young women involved from the ceaseless coverage of the maidan mess by Channel 5. Later that evening our local news had embellished the report to say that in the trunk of their rented car was a load of armored vests and clubs 'for Right Sector activists in Sevastopol'. There was a quick scan of the silver car during the initial stop of the trunk open and empty, ergo the embellishment is a blatant lie.That 2 second scan was missing from the evening news report. As I said, trust the news from neither side. By the by, the incident is verified as true as far as the initial bust from a neighbor who was working at the checkpoint yesterday. We had a chat last evening, and a good laugh when we watched the 'additional information' on local news during said chat.

Last edited by sevoblast; 03-11-2014 at 09:47 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:32 AM
ksoc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How is the news of masked armed troops with no flags, badges, or other identification being covered? They look too well armed and equipped to be local militia or irregulars.

Troops without ID is a could be a violation of the international conventions.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:30 AM
sevoblast

They are most assuredly not local militia, aka Self Defense Units, or irregulars. I know exactly who, for instance, took, fortified and saved from burning Krim Rada complex two weeks ago yesterday in the wee hours. After this is over I'll tell you who did it. I will hear your laughter all the way over here...and your respect. You'll never guess, and I'll not confirm or deny anything about that operation until the fat lady sings. The security camera vid is floating around on youtube somewhere.

To the best of my knowledge having national flags or insignia is not a requirement, nor is open faces. While the weather in this berg can be rather soft for most the winter, get 50 klicks north or east and it's a whole different ball game, as in rather a bit more nippy than here. Besides, the 'outside' media have a nasty penchant of photoing soldier's faces and posting them on their news or on their facebook pages. They did the same thing to our Berkut deployed to Kiev for the mess, then betrayed at the last minute. Pulling guard duty from 01 to 03 can be danged cold, even here, let alone further out from this berg. Again, after the fat lady sings I'll tell who the first couple thousand are. Again, you will be, maybe not surprised but perhaps enchanted.

That being said, it is now not hidden that the follow up troops are Russian regulars, invited in by an obscure treaty signed some 20 years ago between Krim and Russia by the governments of Krimea and Russia. The government of Krimea was legally elected 4 years ago and has not changed in it's consist of Rada deputats (Parliament representatives), they simply rearranged some department heads and elected a new PM. Again completely legal and by the book. The only thing they did that Kiev could scream about, and Kiev is, was to toss out the appointed by Kiev heads of Adminstration, Militsiya and GAI, the latter two being the criminal police (pun intended) and the road police.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:28 AM
sevoblast

All quiet on the north side of the ditch today and tonight. We are good but net is again getting spotty. Don't know if it's a net problem or not. New system is sat based and there's enough radar working in the general AO to cook the birds in flight.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:55 PM
kclank

Originally Posted by lposter
Im afraid it is. Because, quite frankly, I have no reason to beleive your version of events is any more reliable than anyone elses or any other source of information I have. Just because you are intererested in rc tanks and post here does not make you any more reliable as a news source. No offence but thats just a fact of life.

"the truth" and "the causes" of the situation are heavily reliant on ones view point - thats why stating your version "the truth" or "the causes" is entirely political because ones version of them is entirely reliant upon ones political perspective.

You said this thread was to let people know you and yours are OK. Thats a good thing.

I dont see why this thread should be about you stating what "the truth" is about "the causes" because quite frankly, "the truth" of the situation is only your version of it.

And I dont see a forum about rc tanks being a suitable forum for one person to be able to state "the truth" about a situation which all agree is very nuanced and of a nature determined largely by the observers politics.

p
If this thread offends you, don't open it. those of us who do care will. now back away from the coffee and inhale
Old 03-13-2014, 01:43 PM
kclank

Originally Posted by lposter
Im afraid it is. Because, quite frankly, I have no reason to beleive your version of events is any more reliable than anyone elses or any other source of information I have. Just because you are intererested in rc tanks and post here does not make you any more reliable as a news source. No offence but thats just a fact of life.

"the truth" and "the causes" of the situation are heavily reliant on ones view point - thats why stating your version "the truth" or "the causes" is entirely political because ones version of them is entirely reliant upon ones political perspective.

You said this thread was to let people know you and yours are OK. Thats a good thing.

I dont see why this thread should be about you stating what "the truth" is about "the causes" because quite frankly, "the truth" of the situation is only your version of it.

And I dont see a forum about rc tanks being a suitable forum for one person to be able to state "the truth" about a situation which all agree is very nuanced and of a nature determined largely by the observers politics.

p
If this thread offends you, don't open it. those of us who do care will. now back away from the coffee and inhale
Old 03-14-2014, 09:22 PM
sevoblast

06:30 and all is quiet. City is tense before the election but so far no trouble. I think the referendums will pass, IOW Krim will join the Russian Federation and Sevastopol will return to the almost 'independent' classification it had before whether I personally like it or not.

This means a paper chase of long duration amongst other things. For VCO, that means new internal passport, new international passport, new accounts for all utilities (water, sewer, electric and gas) and new documents for our property including the vehicles. New registrations for police and fire departments. All new documents for the children, two each. New insurance for the house and vehicles.

For me, new Permanent Residency Document (Green Card), which includes new police background check, health exams, new notarized copy of my birth certificate, new registration with Militsiya and GAI, new drivers license and new auto insurance, plus I have to sign all documents relating to house, utilities and vehicles. Going to take a while but all will be free, however I can not travel until at least the PRD are complete.

On the down side, it is not known how the status of Sevastopol vis-a-vis Krim will affect international travel, although assurances have been made that things will remain the same in that respect. However, with Krim joining the RF within a month up will jump that nasty little item of visas. Ukraine had a pretty easy deal for US and some EU nations in that you were simply issued a free 90 day visa at your port of entry and did not have to register with Militsiya on arrival. Russia is a tad different and now EU and US will need an official visa issued before arrival and you will have to register with the cops.

Post will be operating as Russia Post shortly. At this time Post in Krim is operating without anything going to or coming from Ukraine. We stopped at our tiny local Post yesterday. We've been there enough they know 'The American' well. The girls are ecstatic with the change. At this time the worker bees, 4 of 'em, make $200 a month, the Post Mistress makes $400. That's way below the 'norm'. They haven't been paid in 3 months. I'll also photo outside and inside so you can get a look at 'village' life, even though we are in City proper. The girls have already been told they will receive Russian pay scale which is 4 times Ukraine for the same work and same cost of living and any arrears owed to them from Kiev will be paid by Moskau. One also pays ones utility bills at Post and pensions can be received at either Post or any bank. I also have no doubts our little 'village' Post will be modernized. As it stands now Lenin would have felt at home there, although they did finally get a computer almost two years ago. It even works sometimes.

It's going to be a long and hard job to do what is needed in this berg and Krim. Corruption in Ukraine is so rampant it's an art form. Every department in government and civil service is riddled top to bottom with corruption. Want electric and water to your new house or dacha? Official cost is 3 bucks, literally. If you want it in your lifetime a 'project fee' of $500 to $1000 is paid and you have it in three days for each, water and electric. Gas and sewer are the same. And don't drink the water, I'm serious. We have a primary filter for the whole house made for a small factory. Normally you change the filter once a year. I have to change it every two months. We also have a 5 stage membrane filter for cooking and drinking water, otherwise within a week the coffee water heater looks like a lump of stone inside, no joke. So where does all the money we pay for utilities go? Why, in to someone's pocket of course, certainly not for maintanence and improvements. They fix nothing until it breaks, period. PM is an unknown concept for most.

Anyhow, I could right reams about life down here and the hope for change. We will see on that. Is Russia corrupt? You betcha, but at least not to the extent that herd up in Kiev raised it, and I mean ALL OF THEM from the first prez through the last and I can guaranty you the 'new' gang in office will be exactly the same or worse. However, unlike a lot of foreigners who came here I was fully aware of most the problems of life in this berg. If you want to understand Ukraine/Russia/Byelorus, start by studying Byzantine history, culture and religion. Russian Culture is the inheritor of that ancient culture and knowing that you have a basic understanding of Russia and know what to expect.

Last edited by sevoblast; 03-14-2014 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:46 PM
sevoblast

All quiet this morning in Sevastopol at 06:30.

Today is referendum day, one for Sevastopol and one for Krim. Security is very heavy and all the polling centers will be guarded. We do not have a law here that requires employers to give their workers time off to vote. I will speak to someone about that later this week. Here you must vote in your local area by address. You must show your internal passport and 'propeeska' to vote. No documents no vote. The private buses are running today and yesterday the Tatar organization that owns and operates almost all the private buses in Sevastopol and Krim announced that today the transport is free. Normally for local routes the cost is 20 to 30 cents. The people and car ferries across the harbor are also free today as are city buses.

Yesterday acting on a tip from Nova Poshta, a new company that is like UPS, a cache of 20 the latest MilSpec body armor was found in the newly rented flat of a young Ukrainian Orthodox priest (There are two Orthodox Church systems here, one Ukrainian and one Russian. They are constantly arguing over which end of the egg to open.). After a thorough search of the premises weapons were found. The priest was recognized as being active in the maidan riots. He is under arrest and faces 15 years according to Prosecutor Office. There will be no bail.

Friday acting on a tip from a citizen Militsiya were called to a rented large office on Southside. The citizen was the owner and had tried to serve an eviction notice for nonpayment of rent. He was beaten. On attempted entry Militsiya were greeted with a molotov. Berkut was called and the building was cleared. The 17 occupants fought using shields, clubs, tear gas canisters, and molotov cocktails. The building was not destroyed. A cache of Comrade Kalashnikov's Ode to World Peace was found in the office storage room. The charges will carry 20 years and there will be no bail.

City Center on the south side of the ditch is closed to vehicle traffic from midnight last night until 06 Monday. This is often done on major holidays.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:04 AM
sevoblast

Well, gentlemen, seems all is good down here. Rightly or wrongly Krimea and Sevastopol have made their choice. There is no doubt the referendums have passed by a wide margin, although the official count will be ready tomorrow morning. The poll workers will be at it all night, watched by the international observers. Like it or not, Sevastopol will return to complete Russian control with their own locally elected government and mayor instead of all being appointed by Kiev. Krimea will in all probability become a member of the Russian Federation within a week or so if not sooner and also again elect their own local and Krim governments instead of having all appointed by Kiev. So be it.

Ye'lean'chka and I again want to thank you all for your outpouring of concern, sympathy and offers of safe haven if needs be. We will never forget that. NEVER. Again, we thank you,we thank you from our hearts.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:59 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Russia will annex the Ukraine. They planned to the entire time, I'm sure of it.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:25 PM
Frantz70

Originally Posted by Panther G
Russia will annex the Ukraine. They planned to the entire time, I'm sure of it.
Yep they even basically said so
Opinion article in major Russian newspaper "Izvestiya"

"Crimea - only the beginning of Russian reconquest."

Crimea is just the beginning of the Russian Reconquest. If it worked in Crimea is to work the Nikolaev, Odessa and Donetsk, Lugansk.

For the first time since 1946 (the accession of Tuva and Transcarpathia) Russia can again expand its space.

http://izvestia.ru/news/567452
Old 03-19-2014, 08:54 PM
ksoc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now that Vlad has grab Crimea, how is he going to keep it supplied with gas, water, etc without taking more Ukrainian territory?
Old 03-19-2014, 09:04 PM
EugeniRUS

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ksoc
Now that Vlad has grab Crimea, how is he going to keep it supplied with gas, water, etc without taking more Ukrainian territory?
Just waiting for the idiots in Kiev to make a blunder.
Ukrain will fall apart. It is only a matter of time. Too many idiots, too many nazis. Blood free secession of the Crimea is a good example for the other regions.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:08 AM
sevoblast

Krim produces enough of it's own gas to supply itself and export some to Ukraine proper. Water and electric are no problem in the south, all the the cities have their own electric plants and water plants. They can and often do supply the outlying towns and villages with same. The towns and villages in upper central and north Krim will have a problem with both water and electric if someone pulls the plug. However, no problem is insurmountable, all will be taken care of. You would be surprised how many villages still rely on their own local wells for water, I can take you to half a dozen within a 30 minute drive from our house in city.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:56 AM
Cruiser133

Originally Posted by sevoblast
Well, gentlemen, seems all is good down here. Rightly or wrongly Krimea and Sevastopol have made their choice. There is no doubt the referendums have passed by a wide margin, although the official count will be ready tomorrow morning. The poll workers will be at it all night, watched by the international observers. Like it or not, Sevastopol will return to complete Russian control with their own locally elected government and mayor instead of all being appointed by Kiev. Krimea will in all probability become a member of the Russian Federation within a week or so if not sooner and also again elect their own local and Krim governments instead of having all appointed by Kiev. So be it.

Ye'lean'chka and I again want to thank you all for your outpouring of concern, sympathy and offers of safe haven if needs be. We will never forget that. NEVER. Again, we thank you,we thank you from our hearts.
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...
Old 03-20-2014, 05:26 AM
twoplanekid

Originally Posted by EugeniRUS
Just waiting for the idiots in Kiev to make a blunder.
Ukrain will fall apart. It is only a matter of time. Too many idiots, too many nazis. Blood free secession of the Crimea is a good example for the other regions.
Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, ... ?. Spoken like a true Russian! Back to the good old days!

Last edited by twoplanekid; 03-20-2014 at 05:35 AM.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:50 PM
EugeniRUS

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by twoplanekid
Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, ... ?. Spoken like a true Russian! Back to the good old days!
Oh, common! it is not that good old days. Let the above mentioned midgets suck Germany's blood.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:36 AM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There is quite a lot of hypocrisy going on here, firstly I’m neither for nor against what has recently happened in Ukraine, when certain countries invade places like Afghanistan and Iraqi this is called democracy when the same western countries replace governments with western leaning governments this is called democracy but when this happens with Russia in the same manner this is called Invasion, colonializing, enslavement and other such comments, you have to remember a democratically elected government was overthrown by what the west has described as far right activists, doesn’t Ukraine celebrate “Heroes day” each year with former members of the Waffen SS, as for Israel accusing Russia of behaving like Germany in a quest for “Lebensraum” this is laughable as this is exactly what Israel has done for the last 50 years, sounds more like do as we say not as we do, let’s have one set of rules.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:45 AM
Cruiser133

I really dont feel like getting into another political debate with you Rivet, I appreciate your tank model skills and the wealth of information you have provided in the past, but to compare our "invasion" of A-stan and Iraq to current events is laughable. We did not annex territory to "mother" US. Our purpose in one was to eliminate terrorist cowards and pay back in kind for 9/11 and the other was to finish a job that was started in 1991. We have since largely left both with functioning elected democracies....to a point...We did end up sending many a jihadist to Allah, and for that, I am glad
Old 03-21-2014, 05:18 AM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not an argument, we are both democratically entitled to our opinions you make a good point with Afganistane after all removing the Taliban from power is seen as good thing throughout the world on the other hand Iraqi is somewhat different as bad as Sadam was he stabilised the region and removing him just because we didn’t like him nor agree with his policy’s didn’t make his removal right, it would take a brave man to argue that it wasn’t done for oil, the argument used to invade was “weapons of mass destruction” which has been proven beyond doubt to have been false.
If Ukraine had no gas would anyone be interested.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:40 AM
vonmarshall
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by rivetcounter
If Ukraine had no gas would anyone be interested.
And there is the killer question.... follow the money is always good advice.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:33 AM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The US never had any intentions of keeping these territories do river counters argument has no justification. Russia fully intended to take over and annex these territories . There is a huge difference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.