Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Boiling Nylon Gears?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 07:32 AM
DirtyBird69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Boiling Nylon Gears?

Just wanted to see if anyone has tried this on the stock HL nylon gears and if so have they noticed any difference as opposed to gears that are not boiled? Just ordered myself a ZTZ and plan on running factory gears for just a bit, but before I glue the slipper clutch solid I was thinking of boiling the gears first...
Old 03-15-2014, 08:14 AM
Marc780

I think the reason people boil steel gears is possibly to get them clean before breaking them in? I can't imagine any reason to boil nylon gears. They might warp besides.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:19 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm interested in the reasoning behind this myself.

I know with urethane resin, exposing it to mild heat helps strengthen it, but that has to be done while still in the mold.

I can see how it's possible it may help, but I'd be suspicious. Not that that means anything, it may be a time tested excellent procedure.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:31 AM
DirtyBird69

Yeah its an old school trick we use to do on our RC cars back in the eighties(it definitely helped with suspension arms and gears), but I wasn't sure how it would work on tank gears, no reason it wouldn't work any differently...It doesn't really make the parts "stronger" but adds bit more flexibility and makes parts less "brittle" by putting moisture back into the plastic, as well as relieving any internal stresses the part received during the original molding process. Basically bring water to a boil, remove from heat, throw in nylon parts and let sit till water is cool...that's it!

p.s. this only works on nylon plastics...

http://www.rccaraction.com/blog/2013...plastic-parts/

Last edited by DirtyBird69; 03-15-2014 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:55 AM
mcm308

Remember dying the Associated white nylon parts? LoL
Old 03-15-2014, 12:09 PM
mcovalsk

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly I think that Nylon needs more than 100°C to get unstressed, be care with this not all what look nylon is nylon. Finally the parts must be cooled very slowly in other way all will be the same or worst. I learnt this in the worst way.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:18 AM
FreakyDude

This is basicly the same as heating steel then a fast cool down tempering the metal. It works well but the effort in my opinion is not worth the result. Run the nylon gears until they burn out then change them.