Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Taigen Late model Tiger I metal track question...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Taigen Late model Tiger I metal track question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 05:33 AM
Dusty Steppes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taigen Late model Tiger I metal track question...

I recently replaced the stock pot metal gearboxes with steel 4:1 gearboxes in my metal Taigen late model Tiger I due to the noise they made. It runs much smoother and quieter but now I can hear the track links on the left side making a clinking sound. I noticed that the left track rides up slightly on the drive sprocket on the first tooth it engages and then drops into place when the tank is going forward. It does this slightly when the tank is suspended but it is much more pronounced when the tank is on the ground.

The drive sprocket - road wheel - idler alignment appear to be in line and the drive sprocket teeth appear to be aligned.

Things I have tried but have not solved the issue:

1. Inspected the tracks for loose pins.
2. Adjusting the idler for proper tension.
3. Swapping tracks from one side to the other.
4. Swapping drive sprockets from one side to the other.

Is there supposed to be a difference between the left and right tracks? Mine are identical and I was wondering if that could be the issue.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:58 AM
gabbyb3

Check the run out on the drive sproket, my stug3 had the same issue. With the tracks removed i noticed at speed it would wobble side to side, about 100/th of an inch, wich caused the track to ride up the sproket also causing a tight spot with the tracks.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:48 AM
Dusty Steppes

Thanks, I'll have to check for a wobble on the left side. If there is one that would mean the new left gear box final drive shaft is faulty because the problem stays on the left and has not moved when I swapped the sprockets or tracks from the left to the right.

The thing is when I refer to photos of real Tigers it looks like there is a difference between the left and right tracks but both of mine are identical and I am wondering if running a track backwards on the left side will cause this.

Last edited by Dusty Steppes; 03-29-2014 at 07:52 AM.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:29 PM
gabbyb3

Mine had 2" isdues. A drive spocket that was out of round and the output shaft had massive slop side to side.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:36 PM
FreakyDude

once you have checked your sprockets, check the alignment from front to back. You want your track running in as straight a line as possible. Re-adjust your track tensioners if you have to. I have seen too many tigers with tracks that start out at idler straight, move close to the tank then have to travel 1/4" away from the tank side to ride the drive sprocket. This will cause the riding track more than anything else.