Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Impact Leopard a4 tracks (new) becoming brittle and disintegrating by itself

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Impact Leopard a4 tracks (new) becoming brittle and disintegrating by itself

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 07:16 AM
mtnbikefreak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impact Leopard a4 tracks (new) becoming brittle and disintegrating by itself

Hi all,

Need some expert inputs from the experienced modellers in this forum.

I bought a set of Impact Leopard A4 tracks. These are brand new and kept in the storeroom for about 8 months around 28-31 deg/c and RH of between 60-70%. Initially when tracks were delivered, they were in prestine condition. However when I opened them to install them on my leopard (after 8 mths of modification, painting and weathering, I found that the tracks started falling apart into pieces when taken out if the box. Do note that these are brand new tracks that have been in storage for 8 months under indoor conditions. Obviously I am pretty disappointed as these metal tracks are not cheap and cost just as much as the static leopard itself.

Upon on closer inspection, I found that the end track links holding the steel pins have crack lines and just gave way. Those that were still holding the pins together had visible cracks forming up. Also some of the protruding teeth in the middle tracks just broke off with mere normal handling. Gosh, they just became brittle under storage conditions.

A) Any of you facing the same issue ?
B) Does zinc alloy tracks have a storage life ? If so how long ?
C) Does zinc alloy tracks become brittle over time ?
D) Zinc alloy end pins a suitable material when friction mating with stainless steel pins ?
E) How long does alloy metal tracks last ? I'm a bit discouraged to purchase a replacement metal tracks because of this incident.
D) How does the other brands out there fair ? Such as mato, tamiya, Kenny kong alloy tracks ?

Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:26 AM
mtnbikefreak

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	2.19 MB
ID:	1983996   Click image for larger version

Views:	189
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	1983997   Click image for larger version

Views:	249
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	1983998   Click image for larger version

Views:	228
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	1983999   Click image for larger version

Views:	278
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	1984000  

Last edited by mtnbikefreak; 04-04-2014 at 07:28 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:41 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mato tracks have been good

The wrong alloy mix can cause issues. I talked to Mato and cautioned them on this issue when they started building metal tanks.

Some old stock slot cars I had suffered this Ailment
Old 04-04-2014, 09:41 AM
DirtyBird69

man that sucks....will they take a return? I'd personally go with the Tamiya tracks...they should work just fine..
Old 04-05-2014, 06:13 AM
karel47

i have many tamiya fo tanks with different kind of metal tracks ... and a lot of them wearing impacts never had isseu's , if i would be you start a dispute on paypal within 40 days to be shore you get good stuff, send your pics in to the shop you buy them ... paypal will guide you into your complaint, it won't take long but open first in time your dispute on ebay and paypal

ow its 8 months ago you got them ... am afraid their is nothing what you can do anymore then write to your shop and hoping on some arrangement, yes impacts are pretty costy ... and sere called the best ... but anywaythat helps you now nothing ... call your shop in , is my best bet

Last edited by karel47; 04-05-2014 at 06:18 AM.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:26 AM
mtnbikefreak

Thanks guys for your expert inputs. Unfortunately I'm pretty shaken about metal tracks. There goes my nearly $200 investment down the drain. Yeah heard that impact is one of the best brands out there, but honestly after this incident, I'm pretty apprehensive about metal tracks due to their durability.

Apparently, this set of tracks are lemons and somehow passed QC. Like i said earlier, when the tracks were delivered earlier, they were in perfect condition, so it's hard to really see the problem until after a couple of months.

Anyone having bought L2 tracks (with rubber pads) without any issues for years of running ?
Anyone with Kenny Kong or Tamiya metal tracks without any issues after several years ?
Old 04-05-2014, 08:43 AM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

Zinc rot. I mentioned this years ago. It's a potential issue for any manufacturer making zinc parts who doesn't pay close attention to their
alloy or manufacturing processes...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-t...nc-alloys.html

Jerry
Old 04-05-2014, 09:25 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Have you tried asking for a refund? If they're only a year old you should have a good case.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:34 AM
rlouis12
My Feedback: (46)

You need to get a refund. Zink rots. Preferably I would go with Tamiya Tracks.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:41 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

To the best of my knowledge Tamiya tracks are made by Impact. I would contact Erwin, the owner of Impact, if memory serves he is in Singapore. I would certainly think he would want to make any defective product correct. After all, we are a relatively small community and we pretty much all know each other. The problem is if you have a set of Impact tracks that have zinc pest so soon, there are others out there. Pity, really, as usually Impact tracks are good. That being said anyone can get a bad batch of zinc alloy ingots for casting work. Still and all, contact Erwin about a replacement set. The worst he can say is 'no'. Of course, if he does say 'no', do let us know.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:18 AM
mtnbikefreak

Thank you all for your excellent inputs. I talked to Mitosal and highlighted the suspected Zinc Rot issue and they advised me to send them back for investigation. They did commit that if it really was a manufacturing defect, they would replace the tracks since they have not been used. Let's wait and see the outcome of the investigation. Apparently, I could sense that they too were a little concerned as it would mean that their other batches could be affected by this issue as well.

One more question, understand also that HL tanks also have some gearboxes (gears) that are casted in Zinc alloy. How does these fair so far ? Or durability doesn't really matter in this case since it is cheaply available ? Your expert thoughts please ?

Any way we can prevent this zinc corrosion on new zinc alloy tracks ? Would painting them help ?
Old 04-07-2014, 07:09 AM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

[QUOTE=mtnbikefreak;11777387
Any way we can prevent this zinc corrosion on new zinc alloy tracks ? Would painting them help ?[/QUOTE]

If it is due to an alloy composition error sadly no. If the alloy is correct there is little worry in your lifetime. My oldest zinc tracks are
nearly 40 years old and there has yet to be any degradation.

Jerry
Old 04-07-2014, 10:23 PM
borealis

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

It happened to me once in a KV-1 metal track (asiatam I think), but it was limited to some track links only
Old 04-08-2014, 10:50 PM
WhiteWolf McBride
My Feedback: (3)

The cracking is similar to what used to happen to the original Tamiya Sherman & Leopard 1A4 tracks, except that 'figure-8' piece on the old ones was a harder casting, and it fractured. Its why I hated my first Leopard 1A4 back in the early 90's.

A Possible Solution : if you haven't thrown out your old Tamiya 2A6 tracks (or can get a set of donor worn ones) hijack the end-pieces from them. Tamiya uses one of their composite-plastics, like HL does on theirs, and it won't fracture. Re-assemble your tracks, then have a beer to celebrate.

Hmmm, you might be able to steal the end-pieces off of the HL Bulldog or Pershing tracks, or even the new Leopard tracks.

And YES, I've done something similar: I pulled the Pershing ends off, 'cannibalized' about 8-10 links from another track, and made two ~stretched~ track-sets for my old Leopard 1A4's. They work just fine!
Old 04-09-2014, 04:52 PM
afv aficionado

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

Hi WhiteWolf
HL Bulldog tracks (T91E3) are one piece, unlike the M26 tracks, and don't have end pieces. Good idea otherwise..

Mal
Old 04-10-2014, 10:37 AM
WhiteWolf McBride
My Feedback: (3)

ERF...

Right ya are about the Bulldog tracks. Should know that too, having a chassis with tracks here... (*sigh*)
Old 04-15-2014, 08:23 PM
mtnbikefreak

Some updates on the shipment back from impact. Apparently, they replaced all the end links & dragon teeth, but seems like i'm seeing another 2 teeth broken in the box. This is really frustrating. My opinon is, if it cannot even take normal handling, it won't survive running in the field. I'm better off using the stock plastic tracks.

a) Any of you facing any issues with L1 or Gepard metal tracks ?
b) How's your tracks holding up at your end ?
c) Does the middle teeth and end links take damage very easily ?
d) Are these problems only associated with L1 tracks ?
e) Are zinc alloy L1 tracks this fragile ? Any one of you owning these zinc L1 tracks facing the same issue ? I would like to hear some input from you.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4955.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	1987376   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4956.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	2.40 MB
ID:	1987377   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4957.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	2.28 MB
ID:	1987378   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4958.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	2.19 MB
ID:	1987379  

Last edited by mtnbikefreak; 04-15-2014 at 08:53 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:35 PM
mtnbikefreak

So seems like it's an inherent design + weak & brittle POT material issue for the L1 tracks.

Originally Posted by WhiteWolf McBride
The cracking is similar to what used to happen to the original Tamiya Sherman & Leopard 1A4 tracks, except that 'figure-8' piece on the old ones was a harder casting, and it fractured. Its why I hated my first Leopard 1A4 back in the early 90's.

A Possible Solution : if you haven't thrown out your old Tamiya 2A6 tracks (or can get a set of donor worn ones) hijack the end-pieces from them. Tamiya uses one of their composite-plastics, like HL does on theirs, and it won't fracture. Re-assemble your tracks, then have a beer to celebrate.

Hmmm, you might be able to steal the end-pieces off of the HL Bulldog or Pershing tracks, or even the new Leopard tracks.

And YES, I've done something similar: I pulled the Pershing ends off, 'cannibalized' about 8-10 links from another track, and made two ~stretched~ track-sets for my old Leopard 1A4's. They work just fine!
Old 04-15-2014, 08:52 PM
mtnbikefreak

Hi Karel47,

Any chance you are using Impact L1 tracks in your collection ? How do they hold up ? Any breakages during running ?

Originally Posted by karel47
i have many tamiya fo tanks with different kind of metal tracks ... and a lot of them wearing impacts never had isseu's , if i would be you start a dispute on paypal within 40 days to be shore you get good stuff, send your pics in to the shop you buy them ... paypal will guide you into your complaint, it won't take long but open first in time your dispute on ebay and paypal

ow its 8 months ago you got them ... am afraid their is nothing what you can do anymore then write to your shop and hoping on some arrangement, yes impacts are pretty costy ... and sere called the best ... but anywaythat helps you now nothing ... call your shop in , is my best bet