Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Motor whine noise coming through speaker? Clark TK22

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Motor whine noise coming through speaker? Clark TK22

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 03:10 PM
TheGreatestMoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Motor whine noise coming through speaker? Clark TK22

I just got a Clark TK22 installed in my new Leopard 2A6 and their amplifier. When I apply some throttle to the tracks the motor whine sound is being picked up through the speaker very loud too. Regardless of the volume knobs position the whine noise is always the same volume. Its that whine noise the motors make at low speeds like the ESC sound I'm not sure how to explain it. I tried re-locating some stuff around and it still happens just as loud. This didn't happen without the amplifier installed. How do you fix this issue?

Ryan
Old 04-19-2014, 04:27 PM
FreakyDude

Re-wire the amplifier. The first one I hooked up was the same, I went back and redid the wiring, the whine went away. The amplifier is doing exactly what it is made to do, amplifying the sound INCLUDING the pitched whine you get off some of the motors and before you say it yes every motor is different and every motor will have a different point at which it whines. I have since hooked up about 7 amps and only the first one whined. the rest don't.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:38 PM
TheGreatestMoo

Hey I re-soldered all points and tried a few different things like moving all the electronics apart and isolating stuff etc. nothing seems to change, its still the same volume of motor whine. I recorded this video of my wiring and the problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAI3...ature=youtu.be any more suggestions or ideas?

Ryan
Old 04-19-2014, 08:31 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is a problem!!!

Supply power directly for you battery source to the amplifier. Plug the Speaker into the amp. Between the amp and the Clark try just the positive speaker output to the amp, I think you are creating a feedback loop there somewhere creating this.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:03 PM
TheGreatestMoo

That is confusing because I followed the exact image on the Clark website here
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ext_amp_3.jpg
Views:	631
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	1988328  
Old 04-19-2014, 09:59 PM
modeltank

if this is a new purchase from Clark, seek assistance directly from Clark.
He's always very fast and efficient in customers' service.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:37 PM
YHR

Good advice. I am not familiar with this hardware. Let us know how you make out.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:29 AM
FreakyDude

Greatest MOO I am telling you the wiring is not correct, the positive and negative you can run directly off the battery but I suggest you solder the wires to the bottom of the Clark board
Where ido you have the red and blue wires soldered on the heng long volume control? Take a pic and post it
Just the fact that the volume stays at one level tells me that you have not wired this correctly
Old 04-20-2014, 09:04 AM
TheGreatestMoo

I posted this vid of my wiring: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAI3...ature=youtu.be

The volume of the actua TK22 sound effects works perfectly you can turn it up and down, but the motor whine sound is always the same volume regardless of the TK22 sound effects volume. Watch that vid you'll see what I mean.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:16 AM
heavyaslead

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

That's a familliar sound.

All the PWM power supplies and drivers emit high frequency pitch that sometimes finds its way to the sound ampilfier and thus to the speaker.

It is not really the motor per sae, but the amplified 'ringing' from the pulsed drive signal thru to the motor drivers.

Now you can try to filter the 'feedback' by adding capacitors on the motor, each terminal to motor case 'ground' and it may be reduced.

But I figure the main culprit is bad filtering on the PC Board. Same effect happens with Tamiya electronincs as well, though not as loud.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:27 PM
bowlman

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts

you could try adding a capacitor to the speaker also as a filter .

http://www.hamuniverse.com/speakernoisecircuit.html

Jimmy
Old 04-21-2014, 01:43 PM
YHR

YA no. IN this particular case it is wired up wrong creating a feedback loop is my guess, This is far more then FET whine. I bet there is something getting hot somewhere too.