Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Some questions on the clark board

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Some questions on the clark board

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 01:24 PM
Martellus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Some questions on the clark board

Alright. I think I have finally settled on a clark board for my stug. I have a couple questions though for anyone familiar with it.

Apples. Who sells them, and do different brands have anything that would make them work better/worse with the standard/tamiya ones. I assume I will need a new plug/mount and cable to attach to board compared to the heng long one in from factory.

Is it worth buying the remote to configure stuff on it with?

What do I need to get it running and IR compatible besides the board itself? I already have a 2.4 radio and reciever.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:35 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are going into Tamiya territory, I would suggest you buy a Tamiya apple. They are a lot of money for what they are, but the bottom line is you really only need one, and it is the single biggest thing to provide compatibllity in the Tamiya crowd,

I have people running DBC3's with Tamiya apples, and the compatibility thing is almost a non issue. Tamiya have the inherent defense , and you will want this if you are battling against Tamiya tanks. There are lower cost options available, but most of them put you at a disadvantage going up against Tamiya.

However if you are not concerned then Immortal hobbies sells a decent apple for about $30. I had some of these in and they are decent, but not quite up to Tamiya standard. If you are buying the board from Immortal, ask Curtis about the apple while you are at it.

Cheers
Old 04-21-2014, 01:56 PM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Impact still sell their Tamiya compatible apple. It was basically a direct copy of the Tamiya, spec wise that is.

http://www.mitosal.com/73003.htm

Last edited by MAUS45; 04-21-2014 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:12 PM
Martellus

Yeah, I was planning on buying the pzIII board from him whenever it comes back in stock.

Question I just remembered:

What is the standard rules for emitter placement, as I see mentions of making sure its "legal", but not about what that is...
Old 04-21-2014, 02:31 PM
bowlman

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts

Curtis has the apple base that will work with the Tamiya apple but its to big for the Impact apple that's whats different about the two is the base block size .
Emitter is mounted in a tube set back 6mm from front of tube other wise were on the mantel you put it is up to you .

Jimmy
Old 04-21-2014, 03:11 PM
Martellus

Originally Posted by bowlman
Curtis has the apple base that will work with the Tamiya apple but its to big for the Impact apple that's whats different about the two is the base block size .
Emitter is mounted in a tube set back 6mm from front of tube other wise were on the mantel you put it is up to you .

Jimmy
Thanks for the info
Old 04-22-2014, 09:51 AM
FreakyDude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have stug boards as well. Pz 3 motor with the higher calber gun sound. better than the standard PZ3 boards. Stug board has been one of the best selling boards.
As far as the BU goes it does have all of the items Tamiya has but at a slightly farther distance ie Tam's 10 foot 45 deg defence is actually 25 feet on the BU I carry but at 30 bucks it is no where near Tamiya's cost either.
you can get a gear box for the price difference
Old 04-22-2014, 11:23 AM
Martellus

Ah I missed those somehow, thanks.

Are the remotes recommended/when will you start selling jumpers with the remotes? This is going to be my first tank for battling, so I want to be able to get everything set properly.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:37 PM
YHR

Curtis

The Tamiya apple defense is a result of the Pyramid reflector. On the BU that you sell it has four IR receivers like the DBU. I had these in stock and sold them all, but I thought it would have zero 45 degree defense just by its design.

I would like to hear more about this.. How does it offer this defense with four sensors???

On another note it has no slope defense as it has no fins.

Again all of this is mute if all the club uses the same device. That is why I decided to go with Tamiya apples and make the DBC3 plug and play with Tamiya apples. If everyone is using the same apple then there is consistency. The age old argument of course, is real tanks were not using consistent armor, so why should we. There definitely is a case for different apples providing different level of sensitivity to better mimic the armor of the tank they are on.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:39 AM
Martellus

Originally Posted by YHR
Curtis

The Tamiya apple defense is a result of the Pyramid reflector. On the BU that you sell it has four IR receivers like the DBU. I had these in stock and sold them all, but I thought it would have zero 45 degree defense just by its design.

I would like to hear more about this.. How does it offer this defense with four sensors???

Again all of this is mute if all the club uses the same device. That is why I decided to go with Tamiya apples and make the DBC3 plug and play with Tamiya apples. If everyone is using the same apple then there is consistency. The age old argument of course, is real tanks were not using consistent armor, so why should we. There definitely is a case for different apples providing different level of sensitivity to better mimic the armor of the tank they are on.

...Could I just move the guts into a stripped heng long apple? It has (crappy) fins and a (crappy) pyramid. Trying to do this on a budget, lol.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:03 PM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Martellus
...Could I just move the guts into a stripped heng long apple? It has (crappy) fins and a (crappy) pyramid. Trying to do this on a budget, lol.
There's nothing in terms of the electronics in the Tamiya apple that isn't easily reproduceable. The advantage Tamiya has is the high quality of the reflective coat on the pyramid, the filter that eliminates most of the visable spectrum, the scrimmed 'lens' that projects the signal right on the sensor and the number of fins.

Using the HL pyramid will reduce the range because it's not very reflective and not having filters means the signal gets lost in the light polution of the full spectrum.

IR filters are available but it's really hard to replicate the pyramid finish for maximum effect.

Homemade apples are better with four sensors, you just need to shield the angle of signal with metal for the 45 degree defense. To pull it off means recessing the sensor or building out a 'shield' and that means the apple gets a bit bulky. It can be done, it just requires some work and experimentation.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:09 PM
YHR

Here is what I did with an HL Sensor. It has a range of about 22m, and cost about $5.00 in parts.

I used this at Danville and got lit up like a Christmas tree
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1722813.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	1989353  
Old 04-23-2014, 03:57 PM
Martellus

Is that good or bad
Old 04-23-2014, 08:23 PM
Martellus

Freaky I was looking through older posts on 45 degree defense and I found a post by you:

"As long as the apple takes hits at a minimum distance of 30 meters and has a signal systemn that alerts the attacker/defender of a hit there should be no issue. I tested the system that NYLeatherneck is talking about and it works fine, it even has the 45 deg defence that Tamiya has ( At this stage it does take shots at a greater distance than Tamiya out to 25 to 27' but I think that is more the fact that the recievers were naked meaning there was no shroud of any kind on the reciever when tested )
It has 4 super bright leds on it and it works quite well. At 1/3 the cost of a Tamiya unit my store will be stocking them. Regardless it is a considerable bump up from a HL reciever."

Is that the one you have on your sight now? Does it really have 45 degree defense?
Old 04-24-2014, 03:05 PM
FreakyDude

Yes you can just move the guts and use the HL apples. The pin out diagrams show where you would need to wire your lights for hit notifications
Originally Posted by Martellus
Old 04-24-2014, 03:07 PM
FreakyDude

Yes this is the apple I have and yes at 25 feet it sytops registering hits unless the hit comes at a 90 deg . Tamiya is 10 feet but this apple is 25 feet. I measured this at least 5 times with other participants including all the guys at Can Am on a battle day
Old 04-24-2014, 03:16 PM
FreakyDude

Dan
the apple works out to 110 feet with both Clark and Tamiya hitting it ( including clarks MG ) at a distance of 25 feet the Clark MG function still works but cannon shots don't, A tamiya won't hit it either. less than 25 feet and everything registers. I know it is not exactly the same as Tamiya but the cost isn't the same either. I know I can take some extra hits to save 70 bucks a reciever. When in doubt I just back up and increase the distance if needed.
This apple works on 2 principles that I can see
1. The distance between the recievers and the angle work to the recievers advantage
2. the recievers themselves although not directly shielded have a curved outer surface and it could be possible we are dealing with refracted light because of this? and they seem to have something on the inside of the reciever unit that I am thinking is the major cause.
I do know they work and they work well. I have played with filters to shorten the 45 defence on them but when you do you take away the overall distance in a much more dramatic form and it no longer seems worth it.
Originally Posted by YHR
Curtis

Old 04-24-2014, 03:29 PM
Martellus

nvm

Who sells emitters with cable preferably

Last edited by Martellus; 04-24-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:35 PM
thecommander

The IR sensor (apple) is the heart of the battle unit. It is the most vulnerable thing on the tank and you really need it to be the best and highest quality. I have used 5 different types. Tamiya, Impact, DBU 1 & II from Phil (RIP buddy) & recently Carl's budget version. All worked well and I wrote them from best to least best (I cannot say worst since Carl's worked fine). It is just very vulnerable compared to its higher quality and cost brethren. The DBU & Carl's are a very loose fit too and in hard battle and rougher terrain they came loose and then the IR emitter will not work w/o an apple in place. Tamiya has never sold them loose. I used to but have not had any loose since last year. I still have some Tamiya Battle Units without the apple (GFS apple base w/ harness, IR emitter & emitter holder) but not many left of those either. See my EBay auction. http://www.ebay.com/sch/thecommander...p2047675.l2562

Don't worry if you don't have an apple for a club event I loan them out at NEAD and at Danville, as do many others. Do get the Tamiya base & IR emitter in place since that does take time.

Good luck, Bob

PS Sorry I missed your call, but I was on the line with another tanker who was having HL issues.