Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Mato Sherman or the Heng Long Sherman

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Mato Sherman or the Heng Long Sherman

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 03:16 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Mato Sherman or the Heng Long Sherman

For the guys that have both what one do you like best and why is it the hull style, the way it drives, is the quality in one better than the other
give us your input

Thanks
Old 04-27-2014, 03:35 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I have both, and as matter of fact two of each. The Mato is so toy like and out of scale while the HL is much more precise, fixtures are more realistic and can be expanded more than the A1 Mato.

Now my favorite Shermans are the A1 versions, but I would say the HL is a much better acquisition.

Jeff
Old 04-27-2014, 06:36 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the HL Sherman as well, but the Mato Metal suspension is really good, and I like the M4A1 better, but agree that HL did a pretty good job on their Sherman. This is pretty much out of the box, even used the HL transfers.

I was going to mod the heck out of it, but once I started I realized it would take little work to just tweak what HL started with.

Tracks are crap, but Mato stock tracks are bullet proof and now they make some nice metal ones as well

Pig is based off the Mato Sherman

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020073.jpg
Views:	1651
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	1990635   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020434_edited-1.jpg
Views:	1363
Size:	265.7 KB
ID:	1990637   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020450 - Copy.JPG
Views:	1523
Size:	298.4 KB
ID:	1990664  

Last edited by YHR; 04-27-2014 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:38 PM
sassgrunt
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When Mato first brought out the M4A1, I did what most people did, and bought one to transplant the suspension onto a Tamiya Sherman hull. I didn't like the oversized bogie wheels, but was able to replace them. I didn't have another Mato Sherman until Phil built up one for me with El-mod electronics and Asiatam gearboxes. When Mato came out with their metal T-74 tracks, I bought a set to replace the original plastic Mato tracks on this tank. I replaced the plastic drive sprocket with a Mato metal one, and then found out that the Mato idler wheel is too wide for the stock Mato plastic idler. That's a shame, because I don't like the 12-spoke metal idler wheel that they make.. But, I was able to trim down the spokes on the outside face, and can live with it until something better comes along. So then, I discovered that the T-74 tracks will pass over the return roller wheels, BUT the bent track skid on top of the bogie is too wide for the tracks to pass over! Okay, I fixed that by removing the bogies from the hull, and cutting away about 1/8" from the rear of the track skid. Nobody told me that when Mato came out with their metal aftermarket drive sprockets, idlers, and bogies; they would be the only things to fit their own aftermarket metal tracks. I don't know if it was poor planning on their part - or worse - if it was DEVIOUS planning on their part You can work around it, but I'm disappointed that you would have to.
Now on the other hand, I have found that you can use a Mato metal drive sprocket on a Heng Long M4A3, and the metal T-74 tracks will fit around the Heng Long idler and bogies. The tires are solid, but they still look good and I can accept them. As other have said, the details on the Heng Long are a lot nicer than on the Mato tank. The suspension arms also articulate individually, which is a lot nicer than the see-saw motion of the Mato suspension. Lastly, I do not like the 'plug' on the outside of the Heng Long that hides the mounting screw for attaching the bogie to the hull - it's hard to hide so that it's not so visually obvious.
If I had it to do again, I'd start with the Heng Long M4A3. If you can't live with the hollow inside track faces, they can be replaced with better Mato metal tracks (with or without extended end connectors). You'll have to also replace the drive sprocket with a Mato metal one, if you change to these tracks.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:54 AM
modelbob71

I got the Mato M4A1 first. Didn't like the oversize wheels nor the wheel spacing. Got the metal wheels and bogies. Great improvement
in looks and runs much better even with plastic tracks sproket and idler. Still didn't like the bulky looking headlight guards and siren
and lifting lugs. Then I got the HL M4A3. Well done finer detail. Did not like the hollow tracks nor the bogie mount covers but will
live with it. Ordered an HL Sherman hull top. Stripped the headlight guards and lifting lugs off and put on the Mato Sherman. Now
the Mato Sherman looks and runs like a real Sherman. After that I went back to the HL Sherman and switched out the 105 and used
Dan's 75mm mantlet and barrel after removing the second rear ventilater.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:10 PM
Kurt R

Hi All,

I've purchased the HL M4A3, HL metal tracks and gearbox. The track is way to tight to fit so I am guessing I need the metal sprockets and idle wheels. It this correct? Should I return the tracks and get the Mato gear (keeping the HL gearbox)?

I've also got the old HL Tiger1 and Pershing. both have cracked the plastic gear on the drive shafts. Can I replace just the final shafts or do I need to get new gearboxes?

Thanks,
-Kurt R
Old 03-05-2016, 07:30 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt R
Hi All,

I've purchased the HL M4A3, HL metal tracks and gearbox. The track is way to tight to fit so I am guessing I need the metal sprockets and idle wheels. It this correct? Should I return the tracks and get the Mato gear (keeping the HL gearbox)?
Plastic on metal won't last for long but with everything going on there extra steps need to be taken. Make sure the gears run 'freely' and are well lubricated. Also, make sure the track has no bind anywhere among the links. And finally... a idler tensioner WITH a bearing or bushing would help a lot.

I've also got the old HL Tiger1 and Pershing. both have cracked the plastic gear on the drive shafts. Can I replace just the final shafts or do I need to get new gearboxes?
Lots of directions to go on this... check for replacement parts for HL tanks, eBay or just buy a metal gear box for them.

Jeff
Old 03-05-2016, 11:56 AM
Rustytrax

Hi All,

Thanks,
-Kurt R
I know a Kurt R that is into another WW2 hobby. You aren't from the Lancaster Philly area of Pa. are you?
Old 03-06-2016, 07:42 AM
Kurt R

Hi Troy - nope not me. For me it is tanks. I try to visit war museums whenever on travel. Do you know were I can purchase the metal sprockets and idle wheels? I was hoping to find a US vender.

-Kurt
Old 03-10-2016, 06:45 AM
Kurt R

Hobby People found a link to order the metal sprocket and idle wheels - They say the tracks will fit with the new parts. I replaced the Tiger1 gearbox with the plastic gearbox from the M4A3 - all good now
Old 03-10-2016, 07:33 AM
maillemaker

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

We have a HL Sherman and like it a lot. It's bone stock. Smoker doesn't smoke much - I think we put too much smoke oil in it, but other than that, it's great.

Steve