Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Taigen Metal Tiger - Early vs Late

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Taigen Metal Tiger - Early vs Late

Old 04-28-2014, 04:21 PM
welchgc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taigen Metal Tiger - Early vs Late

Hey,

New to RC tanks. Very addictive.

Looking at getting full metal 1:16 Tiger. The Taigen Tigers are within my budget, but cannot decide between the late and early version. Both look cool.

Any suggestions, preferences, things to think about, accuracy?

Thanks
Old 04-28-2014, 05:49 PM
no12skyline

I'd say Late Tigers are rarer. The early Tigers with the Feifel filters have been done to death by Tamiya and Heng Long already.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:49 PM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Hi, There are a number of websites where pictures of early, mid and late Tiger 1s can be found, A few things are apparent , the early Tiger at the rear had a full Feifel air cleaner system this was reduced to the point of invisibility in the late model, The exhaust shrouds were changed through the models, the wheels on the early model had rubber tyres, the later had steel wheels, the turret had a number of changes including the cupola changing to a lower shape where the hatch swung open rather than lifted up, the later cupola also allowed the fitting of an AA mount for an MG34, a ventilation fitting was mounted behind and central to the cupola on the early model this was moved in the mid range model to the centre of the turret roof, the pistol port was altered in shape and location on the side of the turret through time, the early model had a step fitted to the drivers side of the spare track rail with a grab handle above on the body, this was removed when it was found that Soviet soldiers were using the step and handle to climb on and put grenades through the hatches and vision ports!!!! the drivers vision slit on the early model had two holes immediately above it for use when running closed down, these were filled in on the later Tunisian campaign Tigers, the headlights were first fitted as a pair one each side on the top of the glacis at each corner these were later moved down and finally one only was mounted centrally on the glacis, There were many changes made to the Tiger 1 through its production run and I have mentioned just a few, Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! shaun

Last edited by jarndice; 04-29-2014 at 12:00 AM.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:07 AM
welchgc

Thanks for the info. I think I am leaning towards the Late Tiger. I like the camo paint job on the Taigen. Will match with my Panther (well pantiger) and Mark IV camo painted tanks..You guys have any thoughts on those all metal 'Mato' tanks? I kinda like the idea of getting an unpainted tank. Anyway, this is turning into a big hobby for me.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:24 AM
jarndice

The point to remember is how much or how little detail work you intend doing, if you are going to leave it pretty much as it comes then I would suggest the all metal Tank is the way to go BUT if you are planning to do a fair amount of detail work to give it that original touch then plastic is much easier to work with, so I would then suggest a metal hull with a plastic top. shaun
Old 04-29-2014, 05:26 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Mato all metal PZIII and Stug are good with torsion bar suspension. I have mixed feelings on the Mato Metal Tiger
Old 04-29-2014, 06:10 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Here are some pictures of the late and early versions. Personally I like the late model. The air filters get in my way each time I open. Plus, the late model has zimmerit and track armor
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00021.jpg
Views:	2641
Size:	3.11 MB
ID:	1991060   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00032.jpg
Views:	2668
Size:	3.16 MB
ID:	1991061   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG027.jpg
Views:	2660
Size:	2.74 MB
ID:	1991062   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00174.jpg
Views:	2834
Size:	2.51 MB
ID:	1991063   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00176.jpg
Views:	3192
Size:	2.46 MB
ID:	1991064   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00187.jpg
Views:	3511
Size:	2.87 MB
ID:	1991065   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00188.jpg
Views:	2587
Size:	3.16 MB
ID:	1991066  
Old 04-29-2014, 06:30 AM
welchgc

thanks for the pics....i think the late model is gonna get ordered ASAP.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:33 AM
jarndice

IMEX-ERIK Hi, I have a Torro Tiger 1, simply because the Taigen Tiger was not available in the UK at the time, I assume the Taigen Tiger comes with the charging point between the mufflers and the quick release is under the rear fender, and I ask because no one says so in the advertising for Torro or Taigen and I would think a lot of potential buyers would be influenced knowing that. Just a thought. shaun
Old 04-29-2014, 06:40 AM
welchgc

Good question. I was checking out those Torro tanks, but I live in Canada, and as far as I know, there are no sellers here....overseas purchase is simply out of the question. BUT I have two taigen and like em both so far, so a third will come soon.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:51 AM
welchgc

@ Erik

Quick question again. The Taigen 12085 Pz III says 'later version full metal edition' on the website. What is actually metal?

Thanks

G
Old 04-29-2014, 12:36 PM
Markocaster

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Taigen all metal early tiger 1
my first RC tank.
It's fantastic , the stock gear box did go out I believe because it's such a heavy beast.
Black metal ones wil cure that. The top hull base is plastic with metal details so modifying is fairly easy.
I think I will get the late version next. But not the metal one, just due to the weight.
It is veryaddictive
Old 04-29-2014, 02:31 PM
welchgc

Good to hear. My entry into the area is to get the 'ready to go models' and mess with them once the break. Then one day I hope to starting building from the kits.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:36 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like metal or partial metal lower hulls and components. I do not like the extra weight of an all metal turret though as it is harder on the drive mechanisms that need to operate that extra weight. Keep that in mind. Nothing at all wrong with any metal insert for the lower hulls like the original Asiatam hulls with metal suspension. This is the way I always preffer to go. Some added weight for realism and reliability but not so much as to compromise performance. Remember the heavier it is the harder it is to keep it going when you are battling.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:07 PM
MODELMAN2

Hello The TORRO Tanks will be avaiable at TAIGEN Dealers in CANADA and the USA in July Bill
Old 04-29-2014, 05:32 PM
welchgc

Great news!
Thanks
Old 04-30-2014, 06:00 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jarndice
IMEX-ERIK Hi, I have a Torro Tiger 1, simply because the Taigen Tiger was not available in the UK at the time, I assume the Taigen Tiger comes with the charging point between the mufflers and the quick release is under the rear fender, and I ask because no one says so in the advertising for Torro or Taigen and I would think a lot of potential buyers would be influenced knowing that. Just a thought. shaun
No the Taigen Tiger 1 does not include a charging port on it. We do not recommend charging your batteries inside the tank unless necessary. We included the option on the new T34 to charge inside the tank, but we did not include a charger so as to let the customer decide what type of charger to use with their batteries. I personally will always recommend outside charging inside a lipo bag for safety. As for advertising, we will start appearing in RC Driver a lot more
Originally Posted by welchgc
@ Erik

Quick question again. The Taigen 12085 Pz III says 'later version full metal edition' on the website. What is actually metal?

Thanks

G
That is actually a typo I will get that fixed asap. We are getting ready to revamp the website and have a few ideas we are currently trying. We will make info a lot more accessible with more media and optional/compatible parts on each tank. The 12080 is the metal version of the PIII, not the 12085/86. The metal Panzer III comes with:
metal chassis
metal caterpillar tracks
metal road wheels with rubber tires
metal drive wheels
metal idler wheels
metal suspension arms
metal barrel
metal spare wheels with rubber tires
Here are some newer pictures of it below...

Originally Posted by Panther G
I like metal or partial metal lower hulls and components. I do not like the extra weight of an all metal turret though as it is harder on the drive mechanisms that need to operate that extra weight. Keep that in mind. Nothing at all wrong with any metal insert for the lower hulls like the original Asiatam hulls with metal suspension. This is the way I always preffer to go. Some added weight for realism and reliability but not so much as to compromise performance. Remember the heavier it is the harder it is to keep it going when you are battling.
Yes I like the plastic too, but the metal tanks are such huge sellers. The Panzer III is a good mix of the two. The lower is mostly metal while the upper is mostly plastic. Soon we will have lower ratio steel gearboxes available for this model as well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG007.jpg
Views:	2211
Size:	3.07 MB
ID:	1991306   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG011.jpg
Views:	2103
Size:	3.24 MB
ID:	1991307   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG025.jpg
Views:	2171
Size:	3.07 MB