Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Why haven't I heard this before?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Why haven't I heard this before?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 01:28 AM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Why haven't I heard this before?

Being fairly new to this hobby, I went down to Radio Shack and bought two 5 volt, 5mm LEDs for my new all-metal Panzer III. They cost $2.47 for two (plus my time and gas). This was about two weeks ago. Then last night I got to thinking and I went and got the flashlight they gave me for free the last time I bought something at Harbor Freight, took it apart (thorough dissection) and now I have NINE 5v, 5mm LEDs. Yes, they're just a bit tricky to solder, but not too bad. And they were FREE!!

Anyway, I thought just MAYBE there might be some other poor slob out there like me that might find this useful. Now for some free 3mm LEDs and I'll be all set.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:15 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can find LEDs online for a lot less than Radio Shack without buying large quantities. The good sites will offer them in a range of size, color, brightness and voltage for anywhere from a few cents on up.

If I took a flashlight apart, I'd lose power about 5 minutes later and find myself sitting in the dark.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:07 AM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

I guess I'm lucky to have a Harbor Freight close by so I'm constantly getting flashlights. And while I have seen low prices online I have yet to find nine 5mm LEDs for a buck (that's the sale price for the flashlights and they have the sale about every six weeks). And then I'm also kinda strange in that I seem to collect flashlights. Like I'm really scared of the dark or something. :-) But another good thing is that now I'm looking at all kinds of scrap electronics and wondering what treasures may lie within. I've got a flashlight that doesn't work with 3mm bulbs so guess what's next! And what can I do with this laser pointer? Would that be cheating to have a laser site on my tank? And what's that blinkin' on the side of the Old Lady's vacuum??? :-)