Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

New Hi Torque motor for HL tanks

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

New Hi Torque motor for HL tanks

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 06:11 AM
Fury25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Hi Torque motor for HL tanks

Hi Guys & Gals,

Just received some new Hi Torque motors for HL tanks.

I intend on using these in upgrading my sons PZIII - HL steel gearboxes + metal tracks, running gear and metal body upgrades + HL 2.4GHZ TX/RX

In your opinion, do these require the noise filtering capacitors as found on regular HL motors to be soldered on, or do they already for part of the shown circuit board that forms part of the motor?

Responses would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hi torque motor.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	1999925  
Old 05-30-2014, 06:26 AM
Captain Nemo12

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These motors already have the capacitors soldered onto the circuit board on the back, as indicated by C1, C2 and C3.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:27 AM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what's the make and model of the motor?
Old 06-02-2014, 03:12 PM
Fury25

Sorry,

No Brand markings etc on the motor.

Got them from tankarmy in Australia

Hope that helps
Old 06-10-2014, 06:48 PM
model_mania

yes, I saw hobbyraw is selling the same motor with steel gear box.

http://www.hobbyraw.com/item.jsp?id=884
Old 06-10-2014, 11:05 PM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Holy crap, those are some beefy looking gearboxes! The many bearings are a nice touch...

If they had motor specs available I'd be more than enthusiastic, but that's just me I like to know specifics.

Great looking gearboxes on Hobbyraw, they have something for every model :O
Old 06-11-2014, 07:01 AM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Those are nice!!! Not a bad price for the steel gearboxes and motor/bearing upgrade. Will these fit the HL StuG?
Old 06-12-2014, 06:39 AM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know if they are any more beefy than any other HL style TU. They still have the same weak pressed steel side plates just with new motors and steel gears. May be TOO MUCH torque for those plates. Motors could twist the shafts right in the bushings and cause premature wear.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:39 PM
LosTxSouL94

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought Tankarmy were still waiting on these. Wouldn't mind a pair of these now.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:54 AM
YHR

I ordered a set. Steel gears and all those bearings should result in a better gear set. I will give these a try on my Leo
Old 06-13-2014, 04:58 AM
Strato50

Thinking about a set for my Mato Sherman, too... for such a light tank she is slowwww...

Still wishing they'd list more info.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:51 AM
philipat

Originally Posted by YHR
I ordered a set. Steel gears and all those bearings should result in a better gear set. I will give these a try on my Leo
Once you get them, can you post a short review? I'm interested in knowing if they are the standard HL ratio or a 3:1 or 4:1 geardown of the HL ratio.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:37 PM
YHR

You bet. I am thinking they are the standard HL ratio with metal gears, bearings, and perhaps some motors with more torque. The Leo needs to be fast, but it needs some grunt so you don't get jack rabbit starts. Some motors with torque and a gear set in bearings may give that ideal mix.

I got confirmation the order was mailed yesterday.

Cheers
Old 07-06-2014, 10:16 AM
philipat

Originally Posted by YHR
You bet. I am thinking they are the standard HL ratio with metal gears, bearings, and perhaps some motors with more torque. The Leo needs to be fast, but it needs some grunt so you don't get jack rabbit starts. Some motors with torque and a gear set in bearings may give that ideal mix.

I got confirmation the order was mailed yesterday.

Cheers
YHR, did you get the gearboxes and motors yet? How are they? Are they the standard HL ratio or a 4:1 ratio?

TIA
Old 07-06-2014, 02:57 PM
YHR

Still waiting on them.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:35 PM
philipat

okay...dang, that's taking awhile.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:07 AM
Lord Haw-Haw

Originally Posted by philipat
okay...dang, that's taking awhile.
Can be, I've ordered several times from them. Always got more then I've asked for.
Example: ordered a HL t34 barrel w/airsoft unit for a spare before I modify the orignal to use the VS tank seal, got all the pivoting bits, LED, elevation unit and switch.

Not my first choice, but they seem to carry some bits that other retailers do not show in stock.

...myself awaiting some of those new gearboxes and new HL KT
Old 07-08-2014, 12:08 PM
philipat

Cool...good to know.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:34 PM
YHR

Well the package finally arrived. New gearset with bearings and high torque motors, along with a metal set of Pershing suspension arms, wheels and bearings.

I dropped these gears in an HL Leo. They have the same ratio as stock gears, but the motors are much better. These are a perfect drop in for the Leo. Lots of Torque and it has some High end. I'll post a video of it in action. I have been working on the Leo and it runs good and sounds good. The bearings combined with the metal gears make a nice smooth and quiet set of gears. I like them.

Cheers
Old 07-12-2014, 05:56 PM
Strato50

That's cool to hear. If you are so inclined could you try installing just one side of the tank with the new gears just to get an idea for the difference, ie just left or right & attempt to drive straight

Looks like I've found a more local bearing-equipped set of standard gears to match the awesome that are the 4:1 steels
Old 07-12-2014, 07:44 PM
YHR

I just came in from running them in the grass, and they will even super spin on grass. Today I noticed that the DBC3 may act as a "fuse" for the RX 18. I was super spinning in the grass to torture test the set up. This is a heavy tank with metal suspension wheels and tracks. As anyone knows that super spinning in the grass is something that really creates a load on the ESC. After two spins the DBC3 browned out, and shut down the tank. A little miffed at first because I was running a 5000 mah Lipo with a 20 C rating, and usually this battery will supply loads of power when you need it. However in this case the amp draw was sufficient to short change the DBC and it browned out. In hindsight this was probably a good thing as if it had not the RX18 might have been toasted.

This set up is really good for a LEO. The thing has the grunt to super spin in the grass, and the top end has it really moving. Fast enough to sail off the end of an elevated ramp. After an hour of solid running I brought the tank back in and the gears have run in nicely. Very quiet.

The set up is smooth. I can easily grab a track and spin the gears with only a little steady rolling resistance!!!. I think this may be the smoothest set of gears I have ever run in.

I highly recommend this set up for a Modern fast tank. I 'll be putting these in the Challenger as well.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:21 PM
Lord Haw-Haw

I too like the new motor gear box set-up. Just installed a set in the new HL Henschel KT metal (had alloy boxes). Has the power of my other tanks with 480's, but is faster.
About the KT, even the stock setup seemed better then past systems, it could do super spins in the grass without problems even with the big metal KT tracks. The motors are different as they have a black plastic end vs the old milky white ones of past. The new RX18's volume and smoke remote control works pretty good. Someone could use the smoker circuit/channel as a relay control or something. But I still swapped to Taigen electrics as even the new RX18 still (since 2.4 started) doesn't work with ATRC.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:09 PM
ian.robbins

Hi Guys. I guess this question is for YHR mostly but all feedback is welcome. I have a Taigen Panther which runs pretty good for a WWII but I love the modern stuff, even though I was airforce..lol..Anyways, two months ago I bought the Heng Long Leopard. Beautiful tank but S-L-O-W for a leopard. I just got a lower hull, upper hull with turret and BB gun, track, wires. I want to upgrade so its faster(to scale) but with torque, maybe convert to IR but definitely have a recoiled barrel(realistic) as well as sound. I think a clark board is for sure as I love the sound. Does the HL IR shooting unit (TK-BX004) recoil the barrel or do I have to use a servo? Am waiting for Immortal hobbies to restock the black steel gearbox set so I can order that with the black motors but they don't say what size they are but I think I would probably need 480's (would 400's suffice) as I think the stock ones are 380. It definitely needs added weight and I want to run the metal track that I got from Mato. Will paint it this week and start work next weekend when my holidays start. If it works as good as I've seen a few on youtube then I'll take my original one and turn it into a 6- missile launcher..
Old 07-13-2014, 08:47 PM
philipat

Sounds great for the modern tanks. Need a way to slow it down for the WWII tanks. Pinion is probably already a 8-tooth pinion. So, that's about as slow as you'll get from the pinion. Hopefully, someone comes up with a 4:1 equivalent. Would love a set of steel 4:1s with bearings that are also low-profile for tanks based upon the PzIII or IV hulls.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:46 PM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

These exist already but without the super hi torque motors.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.