Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Spektrum Dx6i for firing machine gun and main gun using the switches.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Spektrum Dx6i for firing machine gun and main gun using the switches.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 04:17 PM
grimgard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum Dx6i for firing machine gun and main gun using the switches.

I recently ordered rhe DX6i to be used with my Tamiya M26 Pershing. I was hoping I could get some people who are using this radio to post there set ups. I would like to use the gear switch to fire the machine gun and the elev D/R switch for the main gun. I did search google and found this http://www.hobbyhavoc.com/oldhavoc/i...p?topic=1130.0

I am still waiting for a receiver to come in the mail to test it out.

I appreciate your help.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:39 PM
Martellus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume tamiya uses the stick in some position to fire- its possible, I think ausf has his setup like that, but I don't remember which model spektrum he uses. I use a dx7s and set mine up to the gear switch in around half an hour while I was at danville.

Here is my setup, although I am using a clark board so the position of the stick may vary (and yes I know the screen is really dirty)

Anything obstructed by the glare was in the default position
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-01 09.28.34.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	704.6 KB
ID:	2000523  
Old 06-01-2014, 05:35 PM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Assuming you will use the Tamiya set up for the Tx (turret and throttle on LS, steering and elevation on RS), you just have to mix the gear channel (down) with 100% up elevator for the MG. You can add a servo in the gear slot on the Rx and animate the gun. Add a Turnigy chip and it's even better.

I have the main gun firing with the throttle cut, but that's a hard wire solution, not mixing. I don't think you can use the DR switch for the gun, possibly flaps (aux) since you can mix that to 100% down elevator.

You'll also have to play with travel adjustments to overcome Tamiya's need for trim work to select what you want to fire.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:11 PM
grimgard

Thanks guys. The more info the better. This is my first computer radio (TX) and allot of the terminology is over my head. Once I get my receiver (Tuesday) I will start working on it. Right now the tank is apart waiting for the new receiver. I do plan on using the standard tamiya set up. Left stick turret, right stick movement. The canon can be on any switch as long as it works.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:42 AM
ausf

Originally Posted by grimgard
Thanks guys. The more info the better. This is my first computer radio (TX) and allot of the terminology is over my head. Once I get my receiver (Tuesday) I will start working on it. Right now the tank is apart waiting for the new receiver. I do plan on using the standard tamiya set up. Left stick turret, right stick movement. The canon can be on any switch as long as it works.
The standard Tamiya is based on AC, it's LS: turret rotation, with throttle up and down. RS: steering with elevation up and down.

That's an important designation because you can't mix the gear or flap switch to the throttle (LS on DX6i). Another point is while the MG doesn't really matter what switch it is, you don't want to be fumbling around to fire the main gun. Mixing to a switch isn't the best idea, especially one on the same side of the throttle. A switch will take your hand off the stick to move it on and then off, you might as well leave the Tamiya function of quick movement up. Most guys install a momentary push button to fire the cannon and locate it where it can be fired with a finger while still holding the stick. The DX6i conveniently has a momentary button right above the right stick (throttle cut) but you'll need to do some soldering which will kill the warranty. Of course it also kills the throttle cut if you ever plan on flying AC or helis.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:55 AM
ksoc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The DAK club website has some info about programming the Dx6. Check out the downloads on the right-hand side of the page.

http://www.desertarmor.com/DAK_RADIO...Room_2011.html
Old 06-02-2014, 08:24 AM
dr_arkeville

I made it 2 years ago with spektrum dx6i and tamiya tiger so it is possible. I made something with mixing chanels.
http://youtu.be/l9nH1UhZCcU
Old 06-02-2014, 09:30 AM
grimgard

Originally Posted by dr_arkeville
I made it 2 years ago with spektrum dx6i and tamiya tiger so it is possible. I made something with mixing chanels.
http://youtu.be/l9nH1UhZCcU
This is exactly what I would like to do. Now I know it can be done I just need to figure out how.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:34 AM
grimgard

Originally Posted by ksoc
The DAK club website has some info about programming the Dx6. Check out the downloads on the right-hand side of the page.

http://www.desertarmor.com/DAK_RADIO...Room_2011.html

Thank you Sir!
Old 06-02-2014, 10:42 AM
grimgard

Originally Posted by ausf
The standard Tamiya is based on AC, it's LS: turret rotation, with throttle up and down. RS: steering with elevation up and down.

That's an important designation because you can't mix the gear or flap switch to the throttle (LS on DX6i). Another point is while the MG doesn't really matter what switch it is, you don't want to be fumbling around to fire the main gun. Mixing to a switch isn't the best idea, especially one on the same side of the throttle. A switch will take your hand off the stick to move it on and then off, you might as well leave the Tamiya function of quick movement up. Most guys install a momentary push button to fire the cannon and locate it where it can be fired with a finger while still holding the stick. The DX6i conveniently has a momentary button right above the right stick (throttle cut) but you'll need to do some soldering which will kill the warranty. Of course it also kills the throttle cut if you ever plan on flying AC or helis.

Thanks I was originally using a Futaba 4Y-F 2.4ghz and followed the direction in the build manual channel 1 to plug 1 and so on. I assume since this is for airplanes it is different. I defiantly want the main gun and machine gun on a switch. I'll try the pdf guide for the old DX6 that was provided by Ksoc and that should get me on the right track.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:10 AM
grimgard

Originally Posted by Martellus
I assume tamiya uses the stick in some position to fire- its possible, I think ausf has his setup like that, but I don't remember which model spektrum he uses. I use a dx7s and set mine up to the gear switch in around half an hour while I was at danville.

Here is my setup, although I am using a clark board so the position of the stick may vary (and yes I know the screen is really dirty)

Anything obstructed by the glare was in the default position
Thank you! I will give it a try and post my results.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:42 PM
grimgard

Canon gun works perfectly Mix 1 Gear -> Elev ACT. Rate D, SW on, U+125% trim INH
I cant get the machine gun to fire. Mix 2 Rudd -> Thro ACT. Rate D SW On, U + 125% trim INH

What am I doing wrong?

Also how do I turn the lights on? and get the tank out of idle mode?

I did recalibrate the DMD

Last edited by grimgard; 06-02-2014 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:38 PM
ausf

Try this: change mix 1 to down elevator instead of up and hit the gear switch. If the MG fires, then you just need to end Mix 2 the same.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:03 PM
Green Amphibian

To get the Pershing to move you have to disconnect the lockout function every time you start it up after shutdown. While tank is on and running put full reverse on throttle and release it. The tank should now react to normal stick controls. You must remember to do that when starting up from a shutdown every time.

Herman
Old 06-02-2014, 08:35 PM
grimgard

After trying everything I give up. I am putting back in my Futaba 4YF 2.4ghz radio that works. No fuss no muss. Thanks for the advice!
Old 06-03-2014, 03:27 AM
ausf

Originally Posted by Green Amphibian
To get the Pershing to move you have to disconnect the lockout function every time you start it up after shutdown. While tank is on and running put full reverse on throttle and release it. The tank should now react to normal stick controls. You must remember to do that when starting up from a shutdown every time.

Herman
That's the same as the JS-2. You can rev the engine all you want, but it won't engage until down throttle with down trim. Turret functions work, just not motors. It's both cool and a pain in arse at the same time.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:34 PM
grimgard

Originally Posted by ausf
That's the same as the JS-2. You can rev the engine all you want, but it won't engage until down throttle with down trim. Turret functions work, just not motors. It's both cool and a pain in arse at the same time.
This is most likely why I couldn't find any set up info on the web. No one can do it without turning it into a nightmare. It was designed to work the way it works so why try and force it to do what it's not designed to do.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:52 PM
ausf

The main reason I use a DX6i is because I have other RC besides tanks where a 6 channel is needed.

It does allow for some cool customization but it comes at a cost in terms of frustration. It's really hard to get help with it because there are so many variables in terms of dual rates, sub trims, etc, it's nearly impossible to work unless we are in the same room and even then there could be something stupidly simple that was overlooked.

For me, it's also a heck of a lot easier to travel with one Tx as opposed to one for each tank. I have kids, so I use Futabas for 3 Tamiyas and control the rest (Tamiya, Losi, Xion) with the DX6i so I can have 4 people battling at the same time. If it was just me, I'd go exclusively DX6.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:59 PM
ausf

Hooking up the JS-2 (or Pershing) to start up would just mean using the stick like you would with the Futaba: trim down, stick down on throttle. On the DX6i, you might have to add some down throttle travel instead of trim. You could assign that to the aux switch by mixing full down throttle, but I wouldn't recommend it because an inadvertent hit of the switch would give you full reverse.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:24 PM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Also worth considering are fire buttons on any tx with analogue trims! The planet t5 radio works well for this!
Old 06-04-2014, 03:36 AM
Murdock73

I own a Tamiya KV-1 with the DX6i and for firing gun, MG and unlock the movement i've done the SET of the DMD with the travel adjusted to 80% on the cannon elevation up&down and on the throttle reverse. When the SET is done i put the travel to 100% again on all channels so for firing and moving the tank on start up it's enough to put the sitck in full down or up. So no need of mixing functions etc. Just give a try
Old 12-27-2014, 09:35 AM
panzer3

Originally Posted by Murdock73
I own a Tamiya KV-1 with the DX6i and for firing gun, MG and unlock the movement i've done the SET of the DMD with the travel adjusted to 80% on the cannon elevation up&down and on the throttle reverse. When the SET is done i put the travel to 100% again on all channels so for firing and moving the tank on start up it's enough to put the sitck in full down or up. So no need of mixing functions etc. Just give a try
I have been struggling with a dx6i and tamiya for a while ,, I just tried the above setup ,,it worked great , and no accidental firing of the cannon on elevation ,,unless fast movement thanks for the tip Murdock
Old 12-27-2014, 07:11 PM
Panther G

Personally i think the computer radios are just way over kill for a Tamiya tank. All you really need is the 4 channels and any analog radio that you can solder a momentary switch to the left or right lever. |It is that simple. Tamiya electronics just dont have that many functions to need a computer radio. If you want to use the same radio for multiple tanks just buy receivers and bind them to the radio. i guess if you plan on adding something to the system the you may need more radio but i just don't seem the need with a Tamiya tank. Only the Leo 2A6 has more functions than the rest and those are only lights.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:18 AM
mondo

I use a dx6i with my tamiyas. It's effort to set up but once done it's a nice controller.