Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Dual motor drivers: outer track speed

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Dual motor drivers: outer track speed

Old 06-03-2014, 11:25 AM
rva1945

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual motor drivers: outer track speed

Hi:

When turning, do dual motor drivers just reduce the speed of the inner track or the speed of the outer track is increased at the same time, in order to keep up with the vehicle's speed during the turn?

I'm writing a program for a microcontroller for that purpose (dual motor driver).

Thanks
Old 06-04-2014, 07:02 AM
heavyaslead

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by rva1945
Hi:

When turning, do dual motor drivers just reduce the speed of the inner track or the speed of the outer track is increased at the same time, in order to keep up with the vehicle's speed during the turn?

I'm writing a program for a microcontroller for that purpose (dual motor driver).

Thanks
Depends on the technology of the electronics, for most tanks each track is driven separately with the one motor reduced voltage or neutral (zero volts) while the other motor turns the tank at speed.

The Tamiya Leopard (DMD/T-07) is the exception where one motor is a dedicated drive and a second dedicated turn motor. The turn motor increases drive side and reduces lag side by equal proportion. This is all done by mechanics (differential transmission) so technically there is no electronic turn algorithm for turning.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:32 AM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Clark's, SLU's and Tamiya electronics reduce the inner track voltage in a turn. Flat out everything is at 7.2V (with NiMH / NiCad) and is throttled back.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:04 AM
rva1945

Well, I altered the program and now the outer track speeds up while the inner one slows down, it seems to be more realistic. Very closely as Dimension Engineering's Sabertooth 2x5 RC works.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:55 PM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

One other thing is adding a brake to the inner track. I found the rx-18 couldn't do tight turns on grass because the inner track isn't breaked so the resistance of the grass will pull it around.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:22 PM
rva1945

Originally Posted by tomhugill
One other thing is adding a brake to the inner track. I found the rx-18 couldn't do tight turns on grass because the inner track isn't breaked so the resistance of the grass will pull it around.
It doesn't happen with my 5 tanks.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:28 PM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

This is a few years ago so they may have changed the design. I'm not talking about pivoting with super spin, I mean turns with one track running and the other still! If hl have sorted I that's off to em!