Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

First look at the upcoming tank film "Fury"

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

First look at the upcoming tank film "Fury"

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 02:34 PM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Granpooba
One thing that it seems to portray is the true bloody picture of war.
Anything I've read regarding the writing/filming points to that goal. They listened closely to Veterans as advisors, one remarked in an interview they were so concerned with accuracy that he wasn't looking forward to seeing it. That's all I need to hear. Guy Sager remarked in Forgotten Soldier that you'll never be able to understand his story while reading it in an armchair in front of a fire.

War movies of the past portraying John Wayne in clean dungarees on Iwo Jima served in part as recruiting posters. People are much morel aware these days and films reflect that. 'Johnny Got His Gun' was pulled off library shelves and banned during all conflicts through Vietnam, now it's part of pop culture.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:46 PM
CHIEFSONN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes that was the tiger made for that movie white tiger and yes they used another tank in its place.if they could have waited until that tank was completed that movie would have been super. The t34 were pretty cool though.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:32 PM
CHIEFSONN

Tiger 131was excellent along with the rest of the movie.it is up there with band of brothers and saving privet Ryan. Don't worry bob you will agree.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:22 PM
Old MSgt

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

(OOOPS! I originally wrote this it had spoilers I didn't mean!... sorry... So I've taken out any spoilers so those who haven't seen the movie yet won't know what we're talking about!)

Well, as I said, it was an okay movie. It didn't have much of a plot other than a tank unit 'doing stuff '.

'Somebody' mentions that the crew had been together since 'being at another place'. And that they'd landed in 'some country' just a couple of days after 'a historic day'. But obviously the Easy 8 Sherman they were in WASN'T their ORIGINAL tank at those other places so they had to have had other tanks.

And with the amount of money the studio spent to haul the Tiger from Bovington to where the movie was being shot, there should have been a lot MORE movie time of it! Heck, there was almost as much screen time of it in the trailers as there was in the picture. If they went all that work to get it, use it as much as they can!

If I would have been the writer/director, I would have cut down a lot of scenes, and other long shots here and there through the movie so there was more time for a short story of the crew doing stuff. Like their getting the order go to a certain location, then see them break camp, mount up, start engine and move out. Them smoking and talking between themselves. (AND more film time!) When 'anything' happen to anyone I don't care cause I don't know them.

BUT I'm NOT a writer/director, I'm just a sweet, old, retired grump who likes tanks, war movies, beeer, and popcorn... not in any specific order.

I'll get it on DVD when it comes out and watch it again (a few times). It IS good tank action but without getting to know the characters more it didn't 'connect' with me.

Mike

Last edited by Old MSgt; 10-19-2014 at 06:26 AM.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:19 PM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

La la la la la la I can't hear you la la la la spoilers la la la!!

Stupid nightshifts...
Old 10-19-2014, 05:24 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old MSgt

I would echo your comments. There are some scenes in the movie that end up being irrelevant to the story line. They tried to build on the commanders character, but it didn't work well. Far better they used that time for the Tank characters to muse about their lives back home.

Saving Private Ryan did an awesome job of connecting you with Hank's Character. They needed something like this in Fury. At the end you come out and you know you have seen a decent tank movie, but the audience knows very little about the men. and therefor are removed from what happens, good or bad. They almost had it. Shia's character was almost there, and Pitts character was getting there as well. 20 more minutes focus on the men discussing what they did back home before the war, would have turned this into a much better story.

They could woven in the flashback idea from SPR. Started the movie out in a Retirement home with a grandchild asking gramps what he did in the war. Zoom into the sunken wet eyes of an old man and then tell this story. At the end pan out from the old man's face, with him wiping away a tear and telling his grandson simply he was a tanker and say nothing more.

No doubt I will be buying the DVD though. Too many Sherman moments not to..

Looks like My Tamiya HVSS is going to go through a facelift.

Last edited by YHR; 10-20-2014 at 09:24 AM.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:20 PM
Cruiser133

I loved it, my wife hated it. It was very intense and it stayed with me for a bit afterwards, which in my opinion is the standard for a successful movie.

Spoiler Alert!!!

Correct me if I am wrong, but I wonder why they had to maneuver behind the tiger with the E8. At that distance the high velocity 76 could punch through the Tiger's front armor plate.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:20 PM
Bagheera

I just saw the movie it was great. Cruiser 133 don't forget about the Tiger firing the 88 while moving. Tiger can't fire on the move, it will damage the turret

Johnny
Old 10-19-2014, 01:51 PM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

According to Thomas Jentz the 76mm round from a Sherman could penetrate Tiger I
Front
Mantle 100 meters
Hull 400 meters
Sides and rear was 1800 meters as the armour was the same thickness this was with the sound hitting at 90 degrees a few degrees angle on the hit could reduce this range considerably but this would be the same for any tank.

Tiger I could penetrate the front of any M4 at 2500 meters sides and rear was 3500 meters, 1000 meters or less and the Germans used High explosive rounds on Sherman with the fuse delayed to explode inside AP rounds at this range tended to pass through the tank, it may have passed through a crew member or disabled a Sherman but not destroy the Sherman, many British/Canadian Sherman troops tell of rounds passing between their legs or just killing the driver while the rest of the crew bailed out moments later .

Bagheera, Tiger could fire on the move without a problem to anything mechanical the problem lied in that no WWII tank had gun stabilisation meaning that the tank would only have to go over a bump and the round would fly off in any direction but where you wanted it to go, Panther had the most stable gun platform owing to its double torsion bar suspension but it was by no means perfect, all WWII tanks stopped to fire so as they could aim a round and hit the target
Old 10-19-2014, 02:15 PM
Bagheera

tank for letting know about the Tiger 1. See I learned new today

John
Old 10-19-2014, 03:54 PM
SGTMAJMVJ

I saw the movie today. I'm not a river counter. Pretty good movie. The apartment scene was totally useless and a waste of time. Filler I guess. Cut the apartment scene and add more battle scenes. The T1 could have played a more prominent roll in the movie. The German anti-tank crews were probably much more accurate then in this movie. If you have read Death Traps then you will cringe at how many hits Fury takes and does not brew up.
I give this a 3 out of 5 stars for historical accuracy when it comes to the tank on tank combat and final battle scene. I won't ruin the movie for those who have not seen it yet. I'll give it 5 out of 5 stars for great tank interior and crew experience realism. Go see the movie. If it does well maybe the left wingers in Hollywood will start to makes movies the rest of us would pay to see.
Old 10-19-2014, 04:02 PM
billinmillstonenj

Not a movie i'd see again... If they wanted to portray the insanity that can come from war, they succeeded.

1. beautifully visual with regards to the tanks and props. - loved the tracer effect.
2. Definately felt like you were in 1940's Europe.
3. Felt it was a little crude and dark beyond the war side of it that makes it impossible for me to take my younger boys to.
4. Also, wish they stayed away from the rape and sexual aspects. Just seemed like a pile on to shock the audiance with every possible way.

Just my opinion as a father.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:09 PM
kenneth74

Originally Posted by YHR
Old MSgt

Looks like My Tamiya HVSS is going to go the through a facelift.
Hope this movie re-generates enough interest to provide justification to Big T to give its HVSS kit a "minor" rehash.... new turret/ new engine deck and a new "Fury" decal sheet... that's abt it... pretty sure it will sell well if they can released it fast to catch on the hype....
Old 10-20-2014, 05:41 AM
Bagheera

Tamiya and who else will do the tank

Johnny
Old 10-20-2014, 07:08 AM
edoubleaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

If you look close, the Tank used for Fury is actually an M4E8. (Radial Engine with Big Hatches and HVSS) You could use Tamiyas lower hull as is, add the T23 Turret and have yourself a FURY movie tank. HMMM Tamiya alrady has most of the T23 with their "Super Sherman" kit.... Same electronics would work....

Mine is already in production......
Old 10-20-2014, 07:51 AM
Cruiser133

Originally Posted by edoubleaz
If you look close, the Tank used for Fury is actually an M4E8. (Radial Engine with Big Hatches and HVSS) You could use Tamiyas lower hull as is, add the T23 Turret and have yourself a FURY movie tank. HMMM Tamiya alrady has most of the T23 with their "Super Sherman" kit.... Same electronics would work....

I am gathering my parts as well. I just scored a new in box Tamiya Sherman off Ebay for a steal and made a great deal with Nick A for one of his E8 kits. I bought the Korean War decal kit with the tiger/shark mouth. I know it is gaudy, but it looks so cool...
Old 10-20-2014, 06:53 PM
kenneth74

Originally Posted by edoubleaz

Think its a M4A2E8... 1 of the few shipped to UK that was too late to make ETO... nicknamed "RON"... somehow along the way its engine was replaced with a redial... so Tamiya kit would only need a T23 turret to make an accurate "Fury".. might want to add in a new rear plate for completeness...

Last edited by kenneth74; 10-20-2014 at 07:43 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:24 PM
thecommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got back from the movie with Kim Krista & my brother in law, Warren.. I loved it..... Many thumbs up for realism. Nice touch on the tracer fire colors too. I will go again with some other buddies later this week. Maybe Sunday afternoon in CT? The Tiger needed a bigger role and interior shots too. Many authentic vehicle. They did a great job.

The one thing we never get..... and only those exposed to intense gunfire (Military, Police, avid hunters & shooters...) is the sound volume, concussion, over pressure and most significantly....the smells of a battle. Burnt flesh and death is something luckily most of us don't encounter. Maybe it is better they average audience doesn't get the olfactory experience....some would probably become ill. War is horrific. In 2010 I handles a fellow officers suicide...shot himself in the head. A tragedy that I'll never forget it.

God please let there be peace in this world. Thanks to all out Veterans.

I also got a new in the wrapper Fury movie poster that I extorted from the theater owner. Just come to Danville in November and I will raffle it off with the proceeds going to the AAF Tank Museum.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	FURY Poster  tumblr_n7ol0ubZ4z1qej1i6o1_1280.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	375.7 KB
ID:	2041425  

Last edited by thecommander; 10-20-2014 at 08:28 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:38 AM
ausf

Originally Posted by thecommander
Maybe it is better they average audience doesn't get the olfactory experience.
I've read more than one memoir that mentions the smell of iron from the blood after battle, especially in the cold.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:02 AM
Quikturn
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I didn't think it was realistic when two grenades went off inside the tank. I would think it would be a bloody mess inside.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:23 AM
cleong

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

Approach Fury as you would approach the 1990 movie Memphis Belle and it'll probably go down easier - don't let the facts get in the way of a good story. With the amount of effort taken to ensure accuracy of uniforms, equipment and vehicles, I'm sure the experts (including veterans) on hand knew what was real and what wasn't and advised the director and producers as such. You only have two, maybe two and a half hours to work with.

Maybe this movie would follow in the footsteps of SPR and get turned into a 12 episode BoB-like series that could be more faithful to history, with more time to develop the characters? Maybe Creighton Abrams in the role of Richard Winters. Something like that, would be really cool. After all, they did the Marines after they did the Airborne.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:50 AM
Baliw

SORRY SPOILERS SORRY SPOILERS

I very much liked the movie too. Liked the potrayal of the Sherman in its intended role and the authenticity is great. Do agree that the Tiger needed more screen time and maybe interiors; was kinda out of place when they had the audio going for it but not showing the crew; I mean yes I guess the idea was to maybe make the thing more ominous by not showing any human element in it (even the German infantry was not shown too well to mask that humanity), but I still would like to have more tank on tank battles.

Also agree the town scene in the house... totally unnecessary there are ways to show that message elsewhere or at least shortened; and at least in one review which I agree with, it didn't really show Pitt the way they should have in that scene anyway.

Lastly, if a movie is going to do a cliche (which this movie is replete of), why not change that last part of the movie? Why not just have the tank go ape **** (it is called Fury) instead of crippling it? They stacked the opponent already why not just go for it and even maybe have an opposite ending than what actually happened?

I mean the movie said history is peaceful war is violent (or some such).
Old 10-21-2014, 09:11 AM
Oracus

Originally Posted by thecommander
Just got back from the movie with Kim Krista & my brother in law, Warren.. I loved it..... Many thumbs up for realism. Nice touch on the tracer fire colors too. I will go again with some other buddies later this week. Maybe Sunday afternoon in CT? The Tiger needed a bigger role and interior shots too. Many authentic vehicle. They did a great job.

The one thing we never get..... and only those exposed to intense gunfire (Military, Police, avid hunters & shooters...) is the sound volume, concussion, over pressure and most significantly....the smells of a battle. Burnt flesh and death is something luckily most of us don't encounter. Maybe it is better they average audience doesn't get the olfactory experience....some would probably become ill. War is horrific.
I completely agree! I was about to reply to the accuracy as far as the brotherhood of tankers, I felt that was pretty darn close. So far none of my buddies have been disappointed by the movie either
Old 10-21-2014, 04:06 PM
Augustus1967

Still haven't seen it yet...

trying to to round up my Crew to go this weekend.

-gus...
Old 10-21-2014, 04:29 PM
herrmill

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Haven't yet seen it yet since releases appear in China much later.

One reviewer I came across didn't care for the apartment "filler" mentioned above recommended that if you want to see a good tank movie, watch Sahara with Humphrey Bogart & his M3 Lee "Lulubelle". Now that's a love story in the making.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.