Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Help!!! Just got new all metal Taigen Tiger 1 and the lights just flash...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Help!!! Just got new all metal Taigen Tiger 1 and the lights just flash...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 07:04 PM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Hey Paul,

Glad you got everything worked out. Like I said the first time I posted to this thread, No worries, Erik's the best and he'll take care of ya.

Do you have the super smoker installed and operating? How did you do it? Wired directly to the battery with an on/off switch, or is it plugged into the rx? If it is working, any chance you could post a video?

I have the exact same tank(s) (I picked up a late IR to go with the early airsoft, both full metal). Did you get 3 to 1 or 4 to 1 gearboxes? I just put brass trannies in the full metal early, and I can't believe the difference. If those gomers ever quit jerkin' our boy around and send him some more brass gearboxes I'll be picking up at least a couple. Now that I've tried them I won't be satisfied til I have brass in at least all my heavy tanks. I can't wait to get a set in my Jadgpanther. My Panzer III and IV run pretty good with steel, and I have brass in the mato all metal PIII, but that's a very heavy little tank. So, brass for the light tanks would be nice, but it will have to wait. If only I could remember where I put that winning powerball ticket!!
Old 07-27-2014, 02:49 PM
welchgc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maxu52
Hey Paul,

Glad you got everything worked out. Like I said the first time I posted to this thread, No worries, Erik's the best and he'll take care of ya.

Do you have the super smoker installed and operating? How did you do it? Wired directly to the battery with an on/off switch, or is it plugged into the rx? If it is working, any chance you could post a video?

I have the exact same tank(s) (I picked up a late IR to go with the early airsoft, both full metal). Did you get 3 to 1 or 4 to 1 gearboxes? I just put brass trannies in the full metal early, and I can't believe the difference. If those gomers ever quit jerkin' our boy around and send him some more brass gearboxes I'll be picking up at least a couple. Now that I've tried them I won't be satisfied til I have brass in at least all my heavy tanks. I can't wait to get a set in my Jadgpanther. My Panzer III and IV run pretty good with steel, and I have brass in the mato all metal PIII, but that's a very heavy little tank. So, brass for the light tanks would be nice, but it will have to wait. If only I could remember where I put that winning powerball ticket!!

Hey, do you notice a big difference between the brass and steel? if, so what?
Old 07-27-2014, 02:56 PM
provopaul

maxu52,
I wired up the Super Smoker II as per the instructions that came with it under the heading "Instructions for El-Mod/Tamiya and other non-direct plug in devices"
In addition I wired the battery connection throught the on-off tank switch - that way if you turn off the tank - the smoker is turned off too.
The only problem I have with the Super Smoker is that it doesn't smoke mutch, and I don't know why.
I have the 4 to 1 steel gear boxes (I think) and I can't compare them to the standard gear boxes because I never used them - just the steel one's.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:10 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by provopaul
maxu52,
I wired up the Super Smoker II as per the instructions that came with it under the heading "Instructions for El-Mod/Tamiya and other non-direct plug in devices"
In addition I wired the battery connection throught the on-off tank switch - that way if you turn off the tank - the smoker is turned off too.
The only problem I have with the Super Smoker is that it doesn't smoke mutch, and I don't know why.
I have the 4 to 1 steel gear boxes (I think) and I can't compare them to the standard gear boxes because I never used them - just the steel one's.
I noticed that too, but one time it smoked so much I almost had to evacuate the office lol. I like the setup too, I am working on improving ours and I took some notes into consideration
Also yes, the brass will be making a comeback shortly. I ordered a lot this time of the short and long shaft brass gearboxes and will be showing more on them shortly. They are by far my favorite gearboxes, I really like being able to swap gear ratios in the field in just a few minutes. Sometimes it is nice to have a bit more speed when playing around and lower ratio for battles and RP.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:29 AM
Max-U52

Hey Paul,

Thanks for the update. I noticed the same thing with my last smoker when I wired it straight to the battery - no smoke! I've been working on HL units to improve them, and I'm using Norm's method with the mini fan. I'm also experimenting with smoke fluid, using glycerin and distilled water. If I ever get it right I'll be sure to post the results.

Welchgc,

The biggest difference I can see between brass and steel is that the brass roll much easier and are quieter. I really like the way they roll. If you're at full speed and cut power the tank will actually coast a couple feet. That's pretty good, especially with a little tank like a PIII.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:15 PM
Max-U52

Originally Posted by welchgc
Hey, do you notice a big difference between the brass and steel? if, so what?
Here's a video showing the Tiger I with the brass gearboxes in it.

http://youtu.be/08zRgeuhmA8
Old 07-28-2014, 08:31 PM
Baliw

I'm also experimenting with smoke fluid, using glycerin and distilled water. If I ever get it right I'll be sure to post the results.
Has anyone tried baby oil? I think I read that in a FB group for RC tanks....
Old 07-29-2014, 07:37 AM
strmnd54

I've been using baby oil in my smoke units for the last couple of years...It's cheap, available everywhere; and doesn't leave as much liquid residues as other smoke fluids I tested ( Glycerin and fog juice)...
The power used for the heater element of most smoke units varies between 3 and 5 Watts and doesn't generate enough heat to evaporate water; thus leaving more liquid residues from smoke fluid using water in their mix...
Here's an acoustic smoker running on baby oil....http://youtu.be/B99loI_QlOs?list=UUo...Z1uGnVnrbH3GxQ
Old 07-29-2014, 12:46 PM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Baliw
Has anyone tried baby oil? I think I read that in a FB group for RC tanks....
I have not tried it yet, but I did get in smoke fluid finally
TAG120096 is the new part number for it.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:06 PM
Max-U52

Originally Posted by strmnd54
I've been using baby oil in my smoke units for the last couple of years...It's cheap, available everywhere; and doesn't leave as much liquid residues as other smoke fluids I tested ( Glycerin and fog juice)...
The power used for the heater element of most smoke units varies between 3 and 5 Watts and doesn't generate enough heat to evaporate water; thus leaving more liquid residues from smoke fluid using water in their mix...
Here's an acoustic smoker running on baby oil....http://youtu.be/B99loI_QlOs?list=UUo...Z1uGnVnrbH3GxQ
There he is ... The King of Smoke!! :-) So tell us more, Norm. Just straight baby oil? Have you found any particular brand to be better than others? And how do you get so much smoke at start up? Does the tank in the video have the minifan installed? I figure if I can get mine to work half as good as yours, Norm, I'll be a happy camper.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:56 PM
strmnd54

All brand of baby oil are pretty much the same: It's mineral oil with added aloes, perfume and vitamin E ....

The smoke unit in my tank is the prototype of an " acoustic smoker" where the pumping of the smoke is done by a speaker instead of a piston or fan...
I'm still working to improve the design and should be able to post some results soon....
Old 07-29-2014, 05:18 PM
Max-U52

That's truly awesome. I can't wait. Like something you hear about at MIT or something. :-) I never would've thought of that, but it does make perfect sense. I'll be watching with great curiosity, and until then I'll get some baby oil tomorrow. I have the resistor installed and the minifan on, I'm just not getting the thickness of smoke I'm after. I noticed if I hold the tip of a lit cigarette over the fan I get EXactly the effect I want, so I figure better smoke will help. The large diameter of the pipes on the Jagdpanther probably don't help much either. I'll be messin' around with it tomorrow, and I'll try to get some video so you can see for yourself.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:05 PM
Max-U52

Well, a day late ... I got the baby oil and shot a little video, mainly so Norm can see what I've done with his help so far (thanks again, Norm, these resistors really made the difference). This was pretty easy to do, and I like the results. Does anyone have any good tricks for reducing the noise on a HL smoker?

[h=3]100 2347 mini fan upgrade for HL smoke unit[/h]
Old 07-31-2014, 05:13 PM
welchgc

Well, a day late ... I got the baby oil and shot a little video, mainly so Norm can see what I've done with his help so far (thanks again, Norm, these resistors really made the difference). This was pretty easy to do, and I like the results. Does anyone have any good tricks for reducing the noise on a HL smoker?

100 2347 mini fan upgrade for HL smoke unit
as someone told me once on this board, take the unit, walk over to garbage and toss in!
Old 07-31-2014, 05:37 PM
strmnd54

Looking at the video, I can see that you put the resistor at the same position where the original heater element was...Turn the cover a 180 degrees in order to have the resistor in the air flow between the piston and the exhausts. This should increase the smoke output...