Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Heng Long or WSN?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 12:17 PM
buckeyeshooter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heng Long or WSN?

I'm considering buying my first RC tank. For something that will be strictly a toy, should I go Heng Long or WSN? They both have models that I like and the money is about the same.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 07-02-2014, 12:24 PM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

I would go with a Heng Long Panzer III, StuG III G, Panther G, or Tiger I. All are good runners out of the box and replacement parts and upgrades are readily available. priced as entry level 1/16 tanks. Get the RX18 versions if possible.
Meant to say RX18 version. Not sure why I had a brain fart!!! I am not disrespecting Taigan Tanks when I say this. Just wnat to be able to battle with Tamiya tanks.

Last edited by MAUS45; 07-03-2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:45 PM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

If you dont mind paying a few bucks extra a Taigen tank will most likely be the better option It might cost you a few extra dollars for a paint job and a better 2.4GHz system, but the support will be worth it x100. There are lots of Taigen dealers across the US/Canada as well as myself here on the forums. I visit RCU everyday, and at least a few times during the weekend as long as I am home. I'm pretty sure some can chime in there
We have a variety of tanks, from the basic starter plastic versions up to the mostly metal options. You are more than welcome to PM me or email me at [email protected] for any and all info you need.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:54 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If this is strickly a toy I would take Maus45 advice, except I would say stay away for the factory 2.4 ghz stuff. If you do ever want to upgrade you have zero options with these. The old RX18 with the crystals allows you to upgrade to Tamiya compatibility and great sound using a DBC3, plus there are some other options as well.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:14 PM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are looking for something in the $150 range and may or may not want to upgrade, go HL, specifically from a dealer like Matomart, not a cheap online store or Amazon. You might pay a few more bucks, but they test and provide better service. As stated above, stick with the non 2.4 and pick what you like from the 4 mentioned.

I'd add some caveats: if you go with the Pz or StuG III, pay a bit more for metal tracks with the kit (the only time I recommend this) since the smaller links don't hold up well in plastic. If you get a Panther, make sure it's a Panther, not the dreaded Pantiger.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:48 PM
Augustus1967

So the 2.4 Ghz systems should be avoided?
or replaced?

Sorry, I'm looking to pick up a couple new Taigen Tanks and I'm in Hardcore Information Gathering Mode...

And I will be wanting to Mod/Upgrade them eventually...
IR Battle, Delete Track Recoil, Upgrade Control and Sound...

-Gus

Last edited by Augustus1967; 07-02-2014 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:36 PM
YHR

It depends what Taigen tank you are planning on buying. Some are more advanced then the standard Heng Long then others. As far as I know all Taigen tanks come with the 2.4 ghz radio. I like The Heng Long because you can still get the RX 18, which makes my upgrades plug and play and they are less expensive. Mato had the Panther on sale for $109 this week.To IR battle with Tamiya tanks you would need to use a DBC3 or Clark on a Taigen. Either way you are tossing the factory 2.4 ghz stuff, which is what most guys will end up doing if they want to get into battling..

SO you really need to be careful on what you are buying. For guys like me the Heng long is the best bet as it is cheap and we know what we need to add for upgrades. Painting and detailing is the fun

TO be clear Taigen uses the basic Heng Long as a starting point and then add stuff to them in varying degrees of completeness. They throw a nice coat of paint on them and charge a premium. Erik has proven that for this extra you get some great service, and service does not come cheap. SO it really all depends, on you the tanker, on which is the best way to go.

Last edited by YHR; 07-02-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:50 PM
Augustus1967

Okay,

I think I understand...
Being New to RC Tanking (but not new to Scale Armor) I think we will do All The Above...

Start Out with a Tagen Early Tiger 1 and a KV 1, and go from there...
By the time I figure out what I want to change, I'll have an idea where to go with it...

Thank You...

- gus
Old 07-02-2014, 06:19 PM
welchgc

Originally Posted by ausf
I'd add some caveats: if you go with the Pz or StuG III, pay a bit more for metal tracks with the kit (the only time I recommend this) since the smaller links don't hold up well in plastic. If you get a Panther, make sure it's a Panther, not the dreaded Pantiger.
lol - the pantiger is a classic
Old 07-02-2014, 06:26 PM
welchgc

I have a few Taigen tanks now, and like the Metal Tiger I (Late) the best. I am new to RC/Model, so it was worth the extra money to get the metal parts/upgrades/nice paint right out of the box so I could see what I could eventually build myself (hopefully) one day.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:28 PM
kizwan

@YHR, why 2.4ghz can't get into battle? Sorry for noob question. I'm new to tank & have not join any battling yet.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:33 PM
Martellus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By default heng long/taigen/torro battlesystems are not compatible with tamiya battle units. There are many aftermarket electronics packages however to make them compatible. Some of these rely on piggybacking or hooking up to the original tank electronics, and none of those are equipped for the new 2.4ghz systems. The 2.4ghz systems also do not allow you to bind to other controllers.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:46 PM
YHR

Originally Posted by kizwan
@YHR, why 2.4ghz can't get into battle? Sorry for noob question. I'm new to tank & have not join any battling yet.
Closed architecture means there is no access to intercept the signals and the aftermarket products won't work with them. This give you little options for IR battling with the factory stuff. So you have to gut it and buy something else.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:33 AM
ausf

Originally Posted by YHR
Closed architecture means there is no access to intercept the signals and the aftermarket products won't work with them. This give you little options for IR battling with the factory stuff. So you have to gut it and buy something else.
As usual, Dan nailed it.

I just want to add 2.4 isn't the issue, it's the supplied Tx with those tanks are specific to them. With the upgrades to Tamiya compatible boards, you use can use whatever Tx/Rx system you like, Futaba, Spectrum, Orange, etc. He's just saving you a step by avoiding something you'll have zero need for if you upgrade.

If you go DBC3 and Benedini, the Rx-18 is what you want and that's not included with the HL 2.4, only the 75 or 27.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:46 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

PM'd
Old 07-03-2014, 09:39 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by YHR
If this is strickly a toy I would take Maus45 advice, except I would say stay away for the factory 2.4 ghz stuff. If you do ever want to upgrade you have zero options with these. The old RX18 with the crystals allows you to upgrade to Tamiya compatibility and great sound using a DBC3, plus there are some other options as well.
Not strictly true, RCTA have something that will let the 2.4 HL board talk to a hobby radio!
Old 07-03-2014, 10:53 AM
YHR

I thought the manufacturer themselves did not recommend the 2.4 stock systems for their product

The DBC3 is a complete board that converted the old RX18 to complete Tamiya compatibility, with recoil blocking ,speed reduction, wt. classes, momentum, flash, the ability to turn off the super spin and the ability to add the Benedini for great sound all on one plug and play board for $70. With the new 2.4 ghz stuff this cost effective avenue is no longer open to them. They now have to spend extra money and buy an RX18 or throw all the factory stuff out and swap in a Clark board.

From what I know of the RCTA stuff you have to add multiple boards to get you to where the DBC3 is and to do this you are all in at over what a Clark board costs, and you still don't have the integrated sound option.?? .

Much like the decision people are faced with when buying a DBC3 now, They now have buy an RX 18 and the cost of the combo is reaching that of a Clark board and they still don't have sound. A lot of people decide to buy the Clark. The saving grace for the DBC3 is the fact that it is also a Benedini Encoder and nothing beats a Benedini for realistic sounds. In fact I have been selling more Benedini's to Clark user then I have I have DBC3's. Still I am sold out of DBC3 and am getting another batch made.

For the noob getting into this it is a real mindfield for knowing what to buy, and if you are not careful you will have a bunch of electronics that don't quite measure up.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:10 PM
FreakyDude

Buckeyeshooter
Everybody here is missing your question. Heng Long or WSN so obviously you like the T-34 in which case I suggest you go Heng Long. As you state this will be a toy so it boils down to which you can buy at a lower cost, Knowing that WSN has a unique gear system and has been out of production for a while the Heng Long is the Obvious choice.
Good luck with finding your new toy
Old 07-03-2014, 02:02 PM
YHR

Agreed on that, I had assumed Heng Long, but was letting him know about the limitations of the factory 2.4 GHZ stuff, and just pointing out if he want to add sound and Tamiya style battle system he will have more options with the older Crystal based RX18. He can then choose between and IBU, RCTA, DBC3 or a Clark
Old 07-03-2014, 04:52 PM
ausf

WSN vs HL was the original question, but two more questions were asked afterwards during the conversation.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:27 PM
dash69

Thanks all for this thread. I am on the verge of going DCB3 and sound card and picked great info. Really enjoy this forum and teh assistance from everyone here. REad almost every post.

Be well,
David
Old 07-03-2014, 08:52 PM
kizwan

Thanks guys, especially @Martellus & @YHR, for answering my question & sharing your knowledge. I just picked up a Heng Long RC Tank U.S M41A3 Walker Bulldog 1/16 yesterday. At first this model out of stock & was hoping to get Tiger I instead but last minute the Bulldog available Tiger I not. The QC sticker in the battery compartment show it's 2014 production. So it's safe to say this have RX18 board?

Btw, HL tanks that come with black box have metal tracks, gear & wheel, while white box is standard, right?
Old 07-04-2014, 03:53 AM
YHR

A 2.4 Ghz tank will have that clearly printed on the box

The Black boxes are non smoke and sound,
Old 07-04-2014, 03:58 AM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Love these threads.. they always end up all over the place :P

Good choice with the Heng Long. The RX-18 boards come with a radio with a long telescopic metal antennae, the 2.4ghz have a small stubby plastic one.

....in the end the Heng Long 2.4ghz are pretty crappy, they don't have proportional steering and are wonky to drive. Otherwise the tank mechanics are exactly the same.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:59 AM
Panther G

Originally Posted by welchgc
I have a few Taigen tanks now, and like the Metal Tiger I (Late) the best. I am new to RC/Model, so it was worth the extra money to get the metal parts/upgrades/nice paint right out of the box so I could see what I could eventually build myself (hopefully) one day.
A metal tank is not the best choice for a first time purchase. The more reliable and proven models are the best way to go.
The Tiger I, the Panther G, The M26 Pershing and the always reliable PzIII are the best bet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.