Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Converting an HL Panther "G" to an "A"

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Converting an HL Panther "G" to an "A"

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 12:35 PM
dgsselkirk

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Converting an HL Panther "G" to an "A"

Greetings!

I am going to build 2 Panthers starting with HL Panther G's as the base. One I want to make into a Late "A" which was the most numerous during the Normandy campaign. And the second will be an early "G" made late July.

Both will have zim and other bells and whistles but I am wondering if anyone knows of a thread out there that someone did an "A" so I can compare what I have in mind to their ideas....

Thanks in advance guys!
Old 07-04-2014, 02:43 PM
cleong

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

This page contains what you seek:

http://www.ludwigs-hobby-seite.de/Panther%20AD.html
Old 07-04-2014, 04:19 PM
dgsselkirk

Not quite, I have seen this kit. What I am looking for is someone who took the HL itself and converted it. But thanks for the interest Cleong....
Old 07-04-2014, 04:36 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

There's a lot more going on between a G and an A to "just" make a conversion. Best bet, get Jentz "Germany's Panther Tank" and read up. The angle of the side armor is one of the biggest hurdles to overcome... to get it right. The G used the A turret and of course the mantlet needs to be changed.

There's more... LOTS more or I would already have an A and a D 1/16 Panther. LOL It's better to just get the above mentioned kit.

Good luck.

Jeff
Old 07-04-2014, 09:31 PM
cleong

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

I've considered the conversion myself, but with my Tamiya Panther. As Tamiya and HL both model the same late Panther G, I think the amount of work required would be pretty similar - the only things you could keep from the donor tank would be the lower hull (with drivetrain and suspension) and the turret sans mantlet. I am very sure there are detail differences that still distinguish the G turret from the A turret, but it would have been close-enough-good-enough for me. The Ludwig kit represented the most turn-key solution, because the alternative was scratchbuilding my own.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:57 PM
fynsdad

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a "D" but it might help......
http://www.rctankregiment.com/rctank...hp?f=36&t=5606
Old 07-06-2014, 10:38 AM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fynsdad
If I recall correctly, the A used the D hull (adding the radio operator's MG) with a new turret (carried over to the G). So, that thread should work. You can get the correct mantlet from ATAK as part of the zimmerit kit.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:51 AM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You would still need to correct the entire upper and lower hulls. The upper for the different agle of the side armor and the lower for the difference in the sponsons. they are very different from a G
Old 07-06-2014, 12:21 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther G
You would still need to correct the entire upper and lower hulls. The upper for the different agle of the side armor and the lower for the difference in the sponsons. they are very different from a G

Not much of a reader, huh. Of course the sponsons are unaffected except for where they relocated the fuel tanks.

This has already been mentioned about the 'angle' of the lower hull.

Jeff

Last edited by Panther F; 07-06-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:14 PM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dgsselkirk
Greetings!

I am going to build 2 Panthers starting with HL Panther G's as the base. One I want to make into a Late "A" which was the most numerous during the Normandy campaign. And the second will be an early "G" made late July.

Both will have zim and other bells and whistles but I am wondering if anyone knows of a thread out there that someone did an "A" so I can compare what I have in mind to their ideas....

Thanks in advance guys!

The A model was the most numerous in Normandy however it was a mix of early mid and late not just late models.

The A model also used the letterbox MG flap as on the D model latter they incorporated the cugleblende, the entire hull of the A model differs from the G model and it’s far from just a simple change of a few things, even the engine vents of the A model are not the same as the G model I suggest you do some research on the A model hull, Thomas L Jentz has written a series of books on Panther of all variants, also I don’t recall Bells and whistles fitted to Panther
Old 07-06-2014, 05:55 PM
dgsselkirk

What I meant was the A was the most numerous not specifically the late A. I have tons of reference material that isn't really what I was after, more interested in people who attempted to change the HL without the use of a kit. The link Fynsdad sent me looks good enough for my tastes. No bells and whistles? guess you will have to wait for the build but that won't be till winter....:-)
Old 07-07-2014, 12:35 AM
rivetcounter

The only book worth looking at for the Panther A is “Panzer Tracts Number 5-2 by Thomas L Jentz this has drawings in 1/35 and 1/10 scale this can be bought for around 25€ the drawings are very accurate having compared many parts from a Panther A to the drawings I can tell you they are good.

There are two ways you could convert your upper hull one is to alter the side armour to the correct angle using fillets in the front and rear the other is to completely scratch build the upper hull, using either method you will have to add fillets to the lower hull or as has been suggested you could buy the conversion kit.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:20 AM
dgsselkirk

I like Panther in Detail too. I also found this site with 1/16th. Haven't had a chance to look at them closely but they seem to be pretty accurate. I work in graphics so it is no issue for me to adjust anything anyway but thought some guys here might like the site as it has a few other things...

http://theresearchsquad.com/index.php/panth
Old 07-07-2014, 05:31 AM
rivetcounter

I have the drawings from this site and can tell you they are not particular accurate and don’t depict particular A models, some of the A model drawings are a mix, while you work in graphics you would be best placed to obtain the Panzer Tracts books, very often in life the simplest cheapest way is not the most accurate way, if you just want anything then find some Waldemar Trojca drawings, these are easy to find on the net but are by no means accurate the scale is out.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:59 AM
dgsselkirk

You must get commission on the Panzer Tracts books Rivetcounter! LOL! I do have a couple of Panzer Tracts books but not the Panther but my buddy has it so I will borrow it too. Together with Panther in Detail Culver and Feist it will be more than enough! :-)
Old 07-07-2014, 07:06 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jentz wrote, self published and sold Panzertracts himself to correct the record. Schiffer refused to update or amend any of his books when he found new information that either corrected or added to the previous volumes and that pissed him off to no end. They really are the definitive source since later in his career, Jentz had more time, money and access to get deeper into the archives as well as traveling to the surviving tanks.

For some reason my vendor tables were usually next to his at the shows, so we've had some nice talks over the years. I'll always take the info in a Panzertract over any other source.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:28 AM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

@dgsselkirk, I have just ordered Christian Ludwig's Panther A/D upper hull kit. I am considering the Asiatam metal lower hull as the base for the upper hull kit from Christian. For me this may be the least expensive way to get a solid Panther A R/C runner. When I receive the upper hull kit I will add some photos here. I think it is a real time saver and is a good base to start with at building a Panther A. It could easily be modified for an Early, Mid, or Late Panther A. Christian also makes a ready to use lower hull if you are using the HL Panther G as a base for parts.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:20 AM
dgsselkirk

Sigh.... Guys, I have nothing against kits. In fact I did splurge a bit on the L70 and bought panzerparts kit but I can't do that too often, It just adds up and adds up. They are awesome and make life so much easier, and all those Asiatam lower hulls? They are nice too, but you know what? $$$$$$$$$$$$$ ..... It's the reason I don't do Tamiya. It's not that I wouldn't love one or two. But that's all I would have because of again $$$$. Plus honestly, I like to try and mod things from an existing body or a little more from scratch.

For about $350 to $400 all in, and my blood sweat and tears, I can make a pretty good looking battle tank and I am getting better and better with each one I do, so from my perspective I would rather have 12 or 15 tanks than to have only 3 or 4 that are balls accurate (although I don't believe any tank is completely accurate by any means!) Mine, well not quite perfect, are good enough that most people can't see too many issues. I'm not out to impress anyone but myself and have fun building it to the best of my abilities. I don't think I'm too bad at it...:-)
Old 07-07-2014, 01:13 PM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

dgsselkirk, I understand, I was only trying to save you some time by suggesting the Panther A kit. I am doing the same thing you want to do with a StuG III G based on a panzer III M chassis. Cut up a lot of plastic card stock to make the fighting compartment from scratch. Then the HL StuG III G came out!!!!
Old 07-08-2014, 01:11 AM
rivetcounter

Unfortunately there is no commission :O( but in simple terms having a copy of Panzer Tracts is almost the same as having the real drawings, on several pages all the plates are laid flat so a cleaver person could enlarge these diagram’s to 1/16 or larger than either print onto plasticard or paper then attach to plasticard.

The drawings in “Panther in Detail” are better than Trojka though still with a few faults.