Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Airbrush setup for a Beginner?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Airbrush setup for a Beginner?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 03:21 PM
Augustus1967

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbrush setup for a Beginner?

Greetings Fellow Tankers,

I've been doing some searches for information and recommendations on Airbrush setups for the begnner...
So far the most recent thread I found was from 2010...

My main interest is in painting Armored Fighting Vehicles and large scale RC Boats.
Most of my Model painting to date has been with Spray Cans and Bristle Brushes...
Not looking to go Pro, but would like the ability to do some fine work as well as Primer, Paint and Washes...

Hoping to find something that is easy to Use, Clean and Maintain....
At this point I have a $200.00 budget to work within.

Is this possible?
or am I way off the mark?

Thank You,

-gus
Old 07-04-2014, 11:57 PM
thecommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the Paasche dual action airbrushes. I have two and I am very happy with them.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:16 AM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Hey Gus,

I'm still new to R/C Tanks, but I've been building static models for 45 years. Not to brag, but I've actually had work displayed at the Yankee Air Museum. I've tried just about every airbrush there is from Testors to Badger and I use an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS. You can get them online for very reasonable prices or you can get them at Hobby Lobby, just make sure you get the 40% off coupon. The Iwata is a tad more expensive (around $120 is a good price) but it's the finest all around airbrush I've used. I did this FW190 in 1/24 scale, mostly freehand. As for compressors, I use the $40 pancake compressor (3 gallon) from Harbor Freight. You can spend hundreds on a compressor but I'm very happy with my el-cheapo job. Just make sure to invest in a water trap, no matter what compressor you use.

Hope that helps, and if you have more questions just fire away. :-)

Gary
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	536
Size:	2.25 MB
ID:	2011788  
Old 07-05-2014, 01:18 AM
Max-U52

One more thing - go to the FineScale Modeler website (fsm.com) and you'll fine two tons of info about airbrushes.
Old 07-05-2014, 04:35 PM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Airbrushes are one of those tools that it's worth spending money on upfront as opposed to buying cheap, then better later. You're original experience will dictate whether you'll ever use it well, so chasing your tail with a subpar piece of equipment isn't going to help, only frustrate.

You're better off skimping on the compressor if need be, but a good brush is a must in my opinion. My main brush is an Iwata HP-BC2 that I bought over 30 years ago. It's all original, even the needle and still works flawlessly. Last year I bought another HP, this one gravity feed so I can change color frequently for figures and the design and quality hasn't changed one bit. The HP line is their professional grade, my original was well over $300 back in the 80s, you can get them around $200 now, but their hobbyist brushes are outstanding too. You can easily stay in your budget with one, I suggest checking out Chicago Airbrush, great prices and service.

In terms of compressor, you just need air at a steady rate, it could be an inner tube if need be. I'm using a 30 year old Badger, but any simple machine from HF or Home Depot will do fine. Regulators and moisture traps can be added afterwards if necessary to fit your budget. The more expensive AB compressors get, it's usually for quietness. That's a big concern depending on conditions. My spray booth is on the third floor above bedrooms and I spray at all hours, so quiet is important. If you're set up in a garage and will only spray at reasonable hours, it's different, a tank compressor that will work with other things may be a better investment (run tools, inflate tires, etc).

For Airbrushing models, you generally stay in the 12-30 PSI range (a good regulator is a must) so almost anything out there will produce that.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:08 PM
provopaul

I use an Iwata HP-CS too, like maxu52 - and couldn't agree more - great airbrush, easy to clean and easy to use. I don't use a compressor - rather I use a 20 lb CO2 tank - no moisture and it lasts forever between refills.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:22 PM
FreakyDude

here is what I started with but 20 years ago it was made by Testor Model master, I still have it and use it for base paints and heavy camo patterns
http://shop.immortalhobbies.com/Azte...2121234702.htm
You can't beat it for a beginners brush. I do have Iawata and Paasche now as well but that aztec won't die. I have only bought 1 nozzle in 20 years of brushing as well.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:16 PM
Augustus1967

Thank You for your Guidance Fellas...

Placed an order yesterday evening...
went with a Master Compressor w/Tank for $99' and A Paache set, Dual Action Gravity Feed with all three heads for $119...

Plus I rediscovered a Badger (Vega?) kit that my Ex had gotten me ten+ years ago, NIB...

I should have the Equipment in hand later this week to start making messes and hopefully Learning...

Should be picking up my First RC Tank Tomorrow Evening...
A second hand Taigen Metal Panzer IV!
Followed in the next few Daze by a, Taigen Metal KV1 and Jagpanther, a Heng Long Leopard 2A6 and
a MatoMart Super (Metal Upgrade) Tiger 1 Early!!!
And a Bunch of new upgrade parts from MatoMart...

Now I just need to Clear the Workbench, build a small Spray Booth and get ready to Rumble...

Thank You Very Much...
Old 07-07-2014, 02:54 AM
Max-U52

Hey Gus,

Wow, I thought I spent a lot. You must have an oil well in your yard, eh? :-) Good for you, and welcome to the hobby. I really hope you have as much fun as I have.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:00 PM
Augustus1967

Originally Posted by maxu52
Hey Gus,

Wow, I thought I spent a lot. You must have an oil well in your yard, eh? :-) Good for you, and welcome to the hobby. I really hope you have as much fun as I have.

Hahaha...

Well I Am a Sixth Gen Texan...
We all own Oil Wells, Wear Ten Gallon Stetsons and Knee High Cowboy Boots with Spurs, Every Day - Every Where...

No Sir,

Truth is I've been setting aside a little cash each month for the past year...
While doing my research...
Trying to develope a Plan of Attack...

This Past Saturday was "D Day"... For ordering Armor that is...

Though I did have to pass on the used Taigen Panzer IV (Airsoft)...
The guy wanted $200.00 for it...
Heck, I could get a New Pz IV (IR) for a few dollars more shipped to my door...

Speaking of which, some Bloody New Taigen Armor should be Landing on my door Step tomorrow...
I'd Be Lying if I said I wasn't EXCITED!

I'll start a new thread tomorrow when it shows.

Best Regards,

-gus

Old 07-07-2014, 08:59 PM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where did you get your compressor? Have a link?

What are the advantages of a gravity feed vs a lower bottle?
Old 07-08-2014, 01:10 AM
Augustus1967

Here's the compressor I went with:

http://www.tcpglobal.com/ABD-TC-20T-H.html#.U7u2o2t5mSM

here is the Airbrush:

http://www.tcpglobal.com/PAS-TG-3F.h...6#.U7u3S2t5mSO

I will wind up with one of each type, Gravity and Syphon, to experiment with...

-Gus

Last edited by Augustus1967; 07-08-2014 at 01:28 AM.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:28 AM
ausf

Originally Posted by philipat

What are the advantages of a gravity feed vs a lower bottle?
Siphon has a better balance to it when dealing with larger paint quantities. Gravity is one less step to clean and better for quick color changes. My Iwata gravity fed doesn't even had a cup, just a slot so it only holds a few drops of paint but allows for changing color on the fly and great subtle shading. It would take about a month to paint a 1/16 Tiger with it.

After using siphon for years and gravity for the past one, if I had to have only one, it would be a medium sized gravity fed cup.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:42 AM
ausf

Here are my two Iwatas. The lower one was bought from the original NYC Pearl Paint in the Village in 1982. It's still going strong, all original: needle, nozzle, etc.

Both spray like a dream and have great balance. The bottom is a siphon, uses cup or bottle on either side. Top is a gravity with a fine tuning air valve underneath the cup (really just a slot for paint in the body).

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	h501d4e6.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	2012550  
Old 07-08-2014, 08:12 AM
Augustus1967

Yes Sir!

Thank You Ausf...
Your Iwatas look Sweet.

Thank You also, for the Explaination...

I have the Paasche Talon Set on order, it's Gravity.
The set I've had stashed away is a Badger Vega, it's Syphon.

Im working on my Workbench area today.
gotta get it whipped into shape.

-gus
Old 07-08-2014, 11:55 AM
philipat

Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by ausf
After using siphon for years and gravity for the past one, if I had to have only one, it would be a medium sized gravity fed cup.
Even for painting an entire tank? Or, do you use something else for the base coats and large areas?
Old 07-08-2014, 01:39 PM
ausf

With Siphon feed, I would usually thin in the cup or bottle, but with gravity feed I pre mix and thin in separate bottles. I found 17ml eyedropper bottles on eBay from overseas that were something like $8 for 50 shipped. Best AB investment I can think of.

So, yeah, you could paint anything with gravity feed, they come in all different sized cups, it's just a matter of how many times you want to fill it. With me, the more that's in the cup, the more to clean and more to spill.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:54 AM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

That is why I have been using a Badger 200 siphon internal mix for years. I like the glass bottles!!! I have a fine and medium needle for it. The thing is rock solid and has to be at least 20 years old. Badger still makes it by the way, cost me maybe $30 way back when!!!
Old 07-09-2014, 09:53 AM
Augustus1967

Here There Be Armor...

-gus
Old 07-09-2014, 10:08 AM
Augustus1967

Here There Be Armor...

-gus
Old 07-09-2014, 03:48 PM
Max-U52

Hey Gus,

I painted my Jagdpanther in a very similar scheme and I have one exhaust green and one the rusty brown, but lately I've been thinkin' maybe they should both be a little crispy lookin'. What do you think?
Old 07-09-2014, 05:57 PM
Augustus1967

Hi Max...

These two are Brand New...
Only a couple new scratches on em so far...
They came painted from Taigen.

My plan is to run em till they break...
Gathering parts as I find them along the way...
Then Mod em, and repaint them...

But when I do get to painting them...
The Exhaust will be nice and Crusty...

-gus
Old 07-09-2014, 08:11 PM
philipat

Originally Posted by ausf
With Siphon feed, I would usually thin in the cup or bottle, but with gravity feed I pre mix and thin in separate bottles. I found 17ml eyedropper bottles on eBay from overseas that were something like $8 for 50 shipped. Best AB investment I can think of.

So, yeah, you could paint anything with gravity feed, they come in all different sized cups, it's just a matter of how many times you want to fill it. With me, the more that's in the cup, the more to clean and more to spill.
Originally Posted by MAUS45
That is why I have been using a Badger 200 siphon internal mix for years. I like the glass bottles!!! I have a fine and medium needle for it. The thing is rock solid and has to be at least 20 years old. Badger still makes it by the way, cost me maybe $30 way back when!!!
Thanks for the input. Sounds like it's definitely a personal preference thing and there are good reasons for both.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:59 AM
ausf

One note for anyone shopping for siphon feeds: find out what extra bottles (or neck size and thread) or cups cost. My only knock on Iwata is the extra cups are ridiculously expensive.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:53 PM
Augustus1967

Newest Addition to the Family...

Brand New...
Of course the radio came nonfictional.
But I already had a new setup in its way already...
So the Gloves are Off from the Git Go...

-gus

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.