Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Is it ok to recharge my battery inside my tank?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Is it ok to recharge my battery inside my tank?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 10:19 AM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you have make any changes to the HL or Taigen electronics to use the LiFe batteries? Just add a low voltage alarm or low voltage cutoff?
I run Tamiya electronics exclusively, so I have no experience with anyone else's electronics. On my Tamiya stuff, I don't use any Low Voltage Alarm ("LVA") such as those used for RC aircraft, or a Low Voltage Cut-off ("LVC") either. In my case, the LVC and LVA would be redundant on a Tamiya electronic system since the DMD unit has an internal LVC and makes the tank cut out when the voltage is too low. I have run my LiFe's down to a point where the tank starts to cut off due to low voltage. No damage ever to the electronics or the battery.

As to the LVC, I'm unaware anyone makes a LVC that's useable (the only ones I know of are not for reverseable ESC systems (i.e. like the one from Dimension Engineering)) on a tank system. Of course, I could be wrong, as that information is a year or so old.

Besides, they really aren't practical for use in a tank during storage...as the LVC needs to be powered to work (and will run the battery down)...which defeats the purpose. In regards to an LVA, a practical obstacle is that the LVA is not needed while driving any Tamiya tank (due to the DMD's LVC) and would not be heard when stored (in a shed outside) or transported (in a carry case in the trunk). It also has the same problem as the LVC...meaning it needs power to work, and thus would drain the battery during storage. So...what's the point? It would be a waste for my tanks. Even if I stored the tanks in the house, I don't want one of those LVA's going off in the middle of the night, so it would be a no-go for me.

I just replace the battery every now and then when one discharges fully and won't recharge.

Last edited by Jeff489; 07-17-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:50 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

LVCs are becoming rarer by the day I know. LVA is the better choice anyways as you have plenty of time to plan your return/landing. Most LVAs now have huge LED's on them, mine has a 10mm LED on it and will light up the whole inside of my tank. It is very loud (all mine have dual horns) as it was made for aircraft and can be heard over the speakers. As for storage they aren't supposed to be used, it is only for active use.
Lithium batteries have a bad rep for safety. I just try to do everything I can to make sure they are treated correctly. NIMH is more than enough for these tanks, but for the extremists they will always want more. I am already planning for the new dual carbon batteries too, I just want everyone to practice SAFETY FIRST with this type of stuff.
Here are 3 of my LVAs, 1 is still new and hasn't been played with yet (it is for 8 cell) but the other two are 6 cell LVAs. It is currently hooked up to one of my RC car batteries in this picture. It is programmable and can be set to alarm from 3V-4V while the others go all the way down to 2.7V.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20140717_142719.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	4.06 MB
ID:	2014965  
Old 07-18-2014, 06:56 AM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just want everyone to practice SAFETY FIRST with this type of stuff
I agree. I think this thread has been a good overview of what everyone is doing out there to power their tanks. From the discussion, I came away with a few bits of good information.

I don't think adding the LVA is a bad idea if you've got no other protection system. Just don't leave it connected during storage, as it draws power.
I also think it's a good idea for a a battery newb to realize not all lithium batteries are the same fire risk. Some are higher (such as a LiPo), some lower (such as LiFe or Li-Ion).
If you charge your battery in a tank, you'd better have a good reason, and accept the obvious increased risks associated.
I also think it's ok to use your NiMh batteries if you don't mind the extra work.
I also think it's dangerous to charge any Lithium Polymer (LiPo) anywhere besides inside a fireproof container.

One more thing. I recommend having a small fire extinguisher and 100% cotton towel on hand whenever you tank. (many flying clubs require a fire extinguisher on hand to fly with lithium batteries) If you have a thermal runway (and it can happen with any battery)...it'll be a lifesaver and give you a chance to get the battery out before it ruins your tank. They make some pretty small fire extinguishers now, and a nice Halon or CO2 one won't make a mess or damage your tank. It won't make the battery stop overheating, but using it wisely will allow you to cool and control the overheat long enough to allow you to use the towel to safely get the battery out and deposited in a safe place.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:12 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff489
I agree. I think this thread has been a good overview of what everyone is doing out there to power their tanks. From the discussion, I came away with a few bits of good information.

I don't think adding the LVA is a bad idea if you've got no other protection system. Just don't leave it connected during storage, as it draws power.
I also think it's a good idea for a a battery newb to realize not all lithium batteries are the same fire risk. Some are higher (such as a LiPo), some lower (such as LiFe or Li-Ion).
If you charge your battery in a tank, you'd better have a good reason, and accept the obvious increased risks associated.
I also think it's ok to use your NiMh batteries if you don't mind the extra work.
I also think it's dangerous to charge any Lithium Polymer (LiPo) anywhere besides inside a fireproof container.

One more thing. I recommend having a small fire extinguisher and 100% cotton towel on hand whenever you tank. (many flying clubs require a fire extinguisher on hand to fly with lithium batteries) If you have a thermal runway (and it can happen with any battery)...it'll be a lifesaver and give you a chance to get the battery out before it ruins your tank. They make some pretty small fire extinguishers now, and a nice Halon or CO2 one won't make a mess or damage your tank. It won't make the battery stop overheating, but using it wisely will allow you to cool and control the overheat long enough to allow you to use the towel to safely get the battery out and deposited in a safe place.

This should be printed and handed out with every tank. Best summary of an intelligent, reasonable approach to batteries I've read.

Always err towards safety. I still use lipos after having three go up on me over the years, but I've got tremendous respect for their power to go south fast. All were results of connector shorts while unplugging, but man they get angry quick.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:13 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff489

Perfect