Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Taigen-Imex King Tiger All-Metal

Best tank ever IMHO from Erik - ran it all weekend . We are relatively new to this stuff ,still learning the technical side and it is a weakness for me . But gradually things are piecing together. back to the KT - it is real nice , what a beast . We have eight tanks from Erik , from the first , customer support gets a perfect 10 out of 10.
    Whole family enjoys our "battles" ; especially my wife ! My oldest son is a computer tech and wants to build his own tank . I'll be asking for recommendations and help.
    Read this forum everyday ; thanks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Well, that is a great story. Thanks to IMEX for doing marketing and service right.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Thanks Ted! I knew you would enjoy the KT! It is quite a hit actually. The IR desert version is perfect here in the sand too
    Tech, Support, and Sales for IMEX Model Company/Taigen Tanks
    1-800-458-5785 or 352-754-8522 (9-6PM EST Mon-Fri)
    (Too many tanks to list, but atm I am above 30)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Great to hear.

It really looks like IMEX is filling the gaping void between HL and Tamiya, which is exactly what is needed for this hobby to survive. Few entrants into our world can get past the short comings of HL or are willing to make the Tamiya investment. A middle ground with customer support is precisely the solution to make entry a pleasant experience while setting the hook.
    What, me worry?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by ausf View Post
    It really looks like IMEX is filling the gaping void between HL and Tamiya, which is exactly what is needed for this hobby to survive. Few entrants into our world can get past the short comings of HL or are willing to make the Tamiya investment. A middle ground with customer support is precisely the solution to make entry a pleasant experience while setting the hook.
    Yep, exactly.

Need a friendlier approach to newcomers even if the price is higher (than HL) and Taigen/IMEX fits that bill to a T. Like the OP I am finding the tanks fun and so do the wife and kids; for each of those wives/kids that pick it up is another tank bought and many may not even see the light of day of a club or meet (e.g., Danville) but is certainly good for backyards/empty lots. It also has enough wiggle room to branch out to upgrades (gearboxes, metal parts) gradually and slowly.

Growth in the industry means more stores will sell them and who knows, maybe it'll come back to where it's available locally for me again.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Baliw View Post
    Growth in the industry means more stores will sell them and who knows, maybe it'll come back to where it's available locally for me again.
    Stores are too shy (rightfully so) to deal with HL and that Tamiya suitcase, while beautiful is a big investment in cost and shelf space. Few retailers want to deal with a 50% return rate (HL) or have to lay out $600-700 wholesale for Tamiya. Tamiya is also a bear to ship, so online is tough too, there's really only two consistently good retailers in the FO Tamiya game, either the AAF museum or Banzai Hobby. Years ago, I couldn't even get local shops that sold Tamiya to order one for me, even paying up front.

Every hobby shop I go into is chock full of Horizon Hobby products. They aren't cheapest player in the game, nor are they high end, but they have outstanding retail and customer support. Older LHSs that used to deal with stick and tissue RC are carrying them because their support network and product development is second to none.
    Last edited by ausf; 07-28-2014 at 11:24 AM.
    What, me worry?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    most stores won't deaL with Tanks for one reason. There is NO money in it. Believe me, The margin on a car/plane/helicopter is tons better than any tank or part. If you have people and walls to pay for no way are you going to want to sell low margin product.
    Tanking is small in comparison as well. Small audience, low profits = one thing bankruptcy
    Wonder what the average age of us tankers is? Bet its 40 to 60 years old which does not bode well long term for the hobby
    www.shop.immortalhobbies.com

North American Distributor Of The Clark TK20 and TK22 Boards

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    So our hobby is going to die with us? I hope not!!!!
    Tamiya Tiger I, Tiger II, Panther G, 3 HL Stug III G, 1 HL Panzer III M, 1 HL Jagdpanzer IV L/70, 1 R/C Armory 1/8 Tiger II

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by MAUS45 View Post
    Well I read here maybe or some other forum hobby tends to have its ups and downs like any other niche type hobby. Ted7191 and others who have kids like me get into the hobby to share with them too so there may be future generations out there

Quote Originally Posted by MAUS45 View Post
    lol. I'm 33 and just got into it, love it, so there is at least 7 more year beyond the rest of you!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Well guys, I don't have the exact figures as we don't keep info like that, but I will say most of the crowd is 30+ for the infrared versions. The airsoft tanks seem to cater to a bit younger age. I try to encourage the airsoft tankers to get involved in battling and to find clubs to join to get more interest in the infrared. I try to encourage games like WOT to show how tank battles can be as well cooperation with a group to make it even better.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Tanks are slow moving compared to other RC. I doubt too many kids would pick a tank over a 100 mph car given the choice. Kids who appreciate history will continue the hobby, but its up to us. Movies like Fury will help.

Quad helis and off road racing is much more attractive to young reflexes, even RC planes are dropping off as the skills required take time to develop.
    What, me worry?

Stores? Really? Think back to your youth the number of hobby stores there were. Hobbies in general have disappeared. Online has helped a few stores survive but put more out of business...

The cost to get serious enough to be able to battle properly is too high for there ever to be an influx of youth to this side of things. WOT at least introduced a lot of young people to the genre and maybe we will attract a few of them along the way. I don't think the hobby will ever be that large and will struggle along just like other similar niche hobbies. Especially it seems, here in North America...
    My hats off to any vendor/store who gets into this game. You have bigger cojones than me! LOL!
    "There are things in Russia which are not as they seem..."
    Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov

1 x HL KT, WIP 1 x HL Early Panther G, WIP 1x HL Late Panther A, 1 x HL/PP Jadgpanzer L70 (V), 1 x WSN T-34/85, WIP 1xWSN/Trumpeter T34/76, 1 x HL KV-1, 1 x 6th Hussars 2nd Armoured Brigade Sherman 105/ Jumbo hybrid, WIP HL PZ. IV L70 paper panzer. All Clark, all IR, all servo recoil.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by ausf View Post
    Tanks are slow moving compared to other RC. I doubt too many kids would pick a tank over a 100 mph car given the choice. Kids who appreciate history will continue the hobby, but its up to us. Movies like Fury will help.

Quad helis and off road racing is much more attractive to young reflexes, even RC planes are dropping off as the skills required take time to develop.
    Yes RC tanking is a bit slower than other RC, but business is picking up a lot lately. We have started advertising in RC Driver and a few other places and spreading the information about the hobby as much as possible. I'm even planning on taking a tank or two up to my local track to have some fun soon