Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

8 Year Hibernation Destroys HL Pershing Nylon Gearbox

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

8 Year Hibernation Destroys HL Pershing Nylon Gearbox

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 06:14 PM
Harquebus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 8 Year Hibernation Destroys HL Pershing Nylon Gearbox

...It didn't fail from hard use, abuse, much less use of any type. I have found that the plastic gear on the metal shaft final drive (shaft that attaches to the drive sprocket) has a longitudinal split in it which has most likely occurred from long term storage in a unheated, uncooled storage unit. I think a combination of high and low temperatures made the plastic expand and crack after becoming brittle with age.

I was very active on the forum after buying one of the first S&S HL Pershing/Snow Leopards. I disassembled it for cosmetic upgrades/corrections and because of AMS (Advanced Modeler Syndrome) never got back to it. I recently cracked the seal on the tomb (original HL box) and discovered the aforementioned malady. The left track slips under operation but it still moves sort of, just doesn't turn too well. Metal gearbox upgrade, here I come.

The moral of the story is beware of AMS (it robs you of your soul) and the plastic gearbox, while quieter, is a bit fragile. You have to baby it (with proper storage, if anything).