Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tank Forum musings

Old 08-10-2014, 08:53 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tank Forum musings

This forum keeps kicking with new blood taking the plunge of contributing, but I noticed many veterans no longer seem to post. Is this due to people moving on and out of the hobby or just a case of limited perceived returns from being a active on the forum?

I personally have always held the belief that multiple forums could become an issue where groups branch off into their own worlds. Traffic that used to use this forum is now using some "club forum" to communicate to it's members in a more regional way.
Because of our numbers I think it is important to think Global, and this forum does that. I am not saying regionalizing our hobby is the cause of lack of activity on so many forums, but I am throwing it out there. I also know we lost some over the "look" of the new forum. For me I find the new platform stable and user friendly once you embrace its difference from the old platform.

I appreciate the new guys who are stepping up to the plate and sharing their tank experience as they learn about the hobby. For a lot of us it is a case of, "Been there done that", but that is great because there are a lot of new readers who don't post, that need the information that is being posted, and a lot of us old timers don't post that kind of stuff anymore. So it is good that the new guys are. Many of us will be happy to throw in our experiences of similar cases and what we learned to help you out.

There is also lots of info in the "sticky" section of this forum. Some of this stuff remains locked away, so if you find you use some of it, share it with the others in a new thread. Your experience on how you used this info might be slightly different or motivate someone else to try .

So I just want to thank the new guys who are posting. It is you that make this Forum different then others, and keep it active and alive. You keep it fresh and relevant to the needs of new tankers. Hopefully some of the old veterans will post when they can and remain active to help out the new guys. I can say without doubt if it wasn't for the online activity that this forum generates this hobby would have been dead to me after my first Heng Long tank. I believe a healthy active forum is essential to turn the RC tank experience from a novelty into a healthy hobby obsession. Overall this forum does a really good job of not alienating people, and is generally patient of all. This forum has done so much for the hobby over the years. From offering advice to solutions of inherent Heng Long problems, to supplying inspiring builds to challenge ones own abilities, this forum has been there. Many products, and online venders have grown from the seeds planted on this forum.

I know the industry knows of this forum, and has an ear out for ideas that make business sense.

This forum is still healthy and active to promote dialogue and a healthy exchange of ideas to keep it fresh, and keep it moving forward.

With little moderation or agenda, it means this forum is relevant because of its members above all else. And for that I thank all of you.

Why am I posting this little note?? It is because I appreciate all the contributors, and don't want to take what we have here for granted. Without an active forum the hobbies appeal would diminish, and that would be a real shame.

Cheers
Old 08-10-2014, 10:19 AM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For me atleast I try to post info when needed, but for the most part just tired of seeing threads on how to change out a fried RX-18 board.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:58 AM
mcovalsk

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Dan
I’m an old and for long time modeler but going around tanks only since 2007. I have been reading and posting here with a lot of enthusiasm, and the only forum I enter few times a day.

I have tried to contribute in many ways, each time I have an interesting model to show or something positive to comment or answer.

Lately I have seen that the forum have been rotating to some kind of news table and where newcomers ask for what they need to know, so the old questions came again.
Personally I always try to use the search, sometimes I spend hours looking for an answer, this helps to keep the new matters going on.

Obviously this is normal, and in some way an important function of the forum, but since my point of view take motivation off to veterans to be involved, as the same questions are asked over and over again. Personally I have placed answers, based in my experience or knowledge, where nobody showed the minimum interest.

Maybe a sticky list of how to/ common problems will help to have the old matters covered.

Working in a website, having facebook….etc, is the logical way I lost interest, I think this could have happened with many others that I have been missing here.

This is not a critic or some kind of claim, just I wanted to give my sight, taking advantage you made this thread.

Last edited by mcovalsk; 08-10-2014 at 12:50 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:50 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice post Dan.

I check in here and try to answer what I can, but new posts of builds, etc. aren't happening from my end. For me, building comes to a screeching halt in the summer. My shop is a renovated attic, so it gets too warm to spend a lot of time in it, even if I had the time. I'm usually just jumping in for necessary maintenance, but airbrushing and casting is pretty much out until September. The Tammy Panther is just sitting on the bench, untouched, which is a good illustration of lack of modeling drive. Nothing better than sitting at the bench when the snow is falling outside.

Truthfully, there's a ton of traffic here, but there never seemed to be a huge participation with posts or responses on builds, usually only with questions or opinions on systems. I've never understood it, but I can post the same photos of a JS-2 build here and on a static modeling forum and there will be triple the response on the latter. Here there can be 400 views and 2 responses, on a static forum there will be 400 views and 6 pages of responses discussing technique, process, references, etc. RC tankers don't seem to talk much.

Linking and embedding here is a chore, so it's possible it's not worth it if it goes ignored.

There's also the angle that there just isn't a wealth of material to discuss because there are so few subjects in RC tanks compared to the other RC disciplines or the hundreds of kits/subjects available to the static world.

I used to go on a forum for bass players which has thousands of active members. But after the initial novelty wears off, there really isn't much to discuss regarding basses and strings since most have their preference and stick with it. After about a dozen times explaining what you like about an instrument, there's lttle reason to continue. I haven't changed basses or string brands in 20 years, so there isn't much to talk about. Odd thing is, subjects like gig experiences, etc where there would be a great opportunity to open discussion, there would be none. Maybe it's the same here.

Commercially, what do we have in subjects, a dozen or so options? You have to build a pretty unique Tiger I to gain much attention at this point.

Last edited by ausf; 08-10-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:39 PM
YHR

I noticed a drop off in build posts and what appears to be a drop off in traffic as well. That is the reason I started this thread. When you post a build thread and get little response you start to question the effort you put in. If no one is interested then why bother?. I think Mario touched on it, as has Ausf, with his comments about lots of views with little for replies.. Some of these things take a lot of time to put together, and if you get zero response, you come away thinking no one is really interested, so why bother taking the time to put together a thread or video.

If enough people feel like this then the threads will stop coming, and all you will be left with is threads asking for help. Which is fine, but it would be nice to have a mix of new questions along with new modeling subjects or techniques.

I try my best to comment on the threads. I do this to support and encourage the effort that the author has put into this. A video posted or a detailed build thread might be hours of effort put in to offer us some free entertainment. I have an online subscription to Fine Scale Modeler. A monthly fee of about $7.00 is collected from me, and for that I get about 30 minutes of read time. This forum provides me with countless hours of entertainment, focuses on the thing I am most interested in, and it costs me nothing. In return I try to do my part to be part of the experience.

I guess it is partly do to the fact is how many times, and how many ways can you rebuild a Heng Long, or put together a Tamiya, After awhile there is little that is unique, and things get stale except for the new guys into the hobby..

So I think you guys have touched on the reason things are failing to motivate people into action. To coin a phrase from a Joni Mitchell song, " you don't know what you got til it's gone" I think Yellowshaker is a fine example of a talent lost to this forum. He had more then enough good reasons to prioritize this forum off his to do list, but I miss his contributions, and I wonder how many more just thought no one was interested anymore, and are not bothering keeping anyone informed on what they might be up to?.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:18 PM
Wozwasnt

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I read quite a bit and answer the odd question and I post my finished builds. I don't post the builds anymore because my builds take so long (and I usually have a few projects on the go at the same time). I started a blog that I have my builds on and although no one comments a few of my RL friends talk about them when we meet up.

Here's a couple of things I'm working on-

Also the webpage is bigger then my computer screen so things are off the side and if I shrink the page in my browser I struggle to read the text.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:36 PM
YHR

That looks interesting. Perhaps you would be interested in sharing your blog through a thread with an email link to your latest project? Looks like you have a Cromwell turret starting to take shape there. I certainly would be interested in that!!.

I too have a website that I have used to capture some of my projects, and store them there so if a site crashes all is not lost.
Old 08-10-2014, 05:01 PM
Andy Antipas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dan, I think the forum is very important, and I check in regularly to see what is new in the hobby. Like others, modeling goes on hold for the summer for a variety of reasons. I have a few RC tank projects that I look forward to working on when the weather changes. We are an obscure group, but with HL pending releases we continue to have more choices, which is a good thing. Thank you for your continued efforts to help the hobby and forum grow.
Old 08-10-2014, 05:14 PM
reyemmanuel

Last edited by reyemmanuel; 08-13-2014 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:11 PM
cleong

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

Summertime seems to be a very busy period in North America where people are more engaged being outdoors than pounding on a keyboard, which is no bad thing really. Generally, there are more regular tankers than there are regular posters on RCU or any other internet forum for that matter. One only needs to see the occasional unique 1/16th tank turning up on eBay to know there are really talented modellers who don't actively post their work till it comes time to sell it off. And there are guys who turn up every meet at Danville who have less than a hundred RCU posts to their name.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:12 PM
strmnd54

Lots of active members on this forum have come and gone away...
Maybe we should start a thread like "Where are They now"?

Members like: Pattoncommander, Yellowshaker, Danlrc, BiggTony...
just to name a few...
Old 08-11-2014, 05:26 AM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

@Wozwasnt, are the orange parts 3D printed parts? Nice looking parts. Also like what you did with the composit Sherman hull.

Dan, I hit this site maybe 4 or 5 times a day. I answer questions or share a technique when I can.
My sin would be not sharing what I am building as much as others have. Problem for me is that I
have so little time to build I find it hard to document what I am doing/building. I think, as others
have said, there are a lot of looking and just not commenting. For me newbies are a good thing
even if the questions are the same old stuff to us who have been doing this for a while. Show there
is some growth and we should do as much as we can to help them. I have experienced burnout as
well. Didn't build for about almost two years. So many who may leave, for a while, will come back. I
agree with Ausf. Static modelers seem to be more verbose when it comes to commenting about another
modelers work and seem to be more harsh then the R/C guys. I think the difference is that our builds
come to life which in a way make us more forgiving and willing to help others enjoy their models through
the whole process. For me the progression from static 1/35 tanks to r/c tanks was easy as I wanted to
see these tanks move. Tamiya made it easy starting wit hthere 1/35 wired r/c tanks to 1/25 wired r/c
tanks and then the r/c wireless 1975 1/16 Sherman. And here we are today with the best of both worlds,
static and r/c. Photo Etch and resin detail sets for us detail freaks and full option electronics from not just
Tamiya, but DBC, Clark, IBC, and Elmod. Think of the number of different Tanks we can get now that didn't
exist even two years ago! I think the future is bright even for those of us who have been around the block a
few times.

And Yes, I do not like having to scroll over to be able to read the posts now!!!!
Did the site change!!!!

Last edited by MAUS45; 08-11-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:41 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Well one thing you can always count on will be me referring every person I can here. I feel this is the best forum for more than just tanks and will continue my presence here as well. I have always treated you guys more special than the rest as the community as a whole is what keeps us going. I have used you guys for future tanks, parts, and upgrades, and I still believe is is one of the best places to get true feedback.
Count on me not going anywhere and continuing with our new paths. Also I have something VERY special to show you guys soon, probably at the end of the month after my T34 gets here. You guys will be very happy....
Old 08-11-2014, 07:06 AM
welchgc

This forum is great. As a newbie, I have acquired a huge amount of information about the hobby/field by visiting the site daily. I have asked many newbie questions and have received great answers right away. While maybe some of the questions I (and other newbies) ask may be redundant to the vets of the field, it is nice to ask your specific questions and get several peoples take on it. I do use the 'search' feature, but often I cannot find the answer I am looking for. Anyway, I will continue to be involved with this site, and what I do like the most is the pics/videos of peoples tanks in action, so keep em coming.

And Erik....keep up the great work, the anticipation for 'whats next' is great.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:08 AM
Baliw

As another newbie, let me just say THANK YOU to all the veterans who are patient enough and willing to explain to us rookies how things work, even though it's been asked for the upteenth time. Searching forums and Google doesn't yield the results often times and, at least for me, I'd want to see if newer information is out there or has been learned by someone. Most of my searches yield conversations from 2009 - 2011, so my natural inclination is there must be some new stuff that's developed since then.

Some information also get crossed. My example is IR systems. There's a lot of conversation about airsoft tanks and IR tanks and I'm thinking... why not both? If it's a matter of space in the turret I understand but some say it can (and has been done). Some days you want to actually have projectiles coming out of your tank some days you want to simulate battles with other tanks. I know the ideal is to have the IR emitter in the barrel, and realism is out the door when you "attach" or bore another hole somewhere, but compromises can be made I think.....?

In any case, I enjoy these forums a lot. But I do check the other ones (RC Groups, RC Tank Warfare, YouTube) for every nugget of info I can absorb. I hope the vets keep their interests up and still participate in the forums in any capacity.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:56 AM
ausf

Originally Posted by Baliw
Some information also get crossed. My example is IR systems. There's a lot of conversation about airsoft tanks and IR tanks and I'm thinking... why not both? If it's a matter of space in the turret I understand but some say it can (and has been done). Some days you want to actually have projectiles coming out of your tank some days you want to simulate battles with other tanks. I know the ideal is to have the IR emitter in the barrel, and realism is out the door when you "attach" or bore another hole somewhere, but compromises can be made I think.....?
I put the IR emitter in either the coax MG or gunners sight on most tanks. It takes some scratch build to set it to the elevation, but it's not that hard. There's no loss of beam strength or asthetic value to the tank. The issue with airsoft and IR isn't the emitter but most battlers want indication of firing. If I'm up against a Tiger I, I know I have 9 seconds to move after he fires. There has to be either a flash, recoil or preferebly both, not just sound since that can get confusing with multiple tanks. If you could work out indicators and still maintain an airsoft barrel, great. Just make sure there's a way to turn off the airsoft. IR battlers might not enjoy there detailed model being shot with a BB during a fight.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:29 PM
Baliw

Originally Posted by ausf
If you could work out indicators and still maintain an airsoft barrel, great. Just make sure there's a way to turn off the airsoft. IR battlers might not enjoy there detailed model being shot with a BB during a fight.
But THAT would be an indicator wouldn't it?
Old 08-11-2014, 12:44 PM
ausf

Originally Posted by Baliw
But THAT would be an indicator wouldn't it?
Yeah, you could indicate the stowage right off your opponent.

Seriously though, you wouldn't be able to tell where it came from if there were two or more side by side.

I modded a Pz III turret with compressed air that'll fire off a couple hundred BBs faster than my Kings Arms Thompson on full auto. I tested it once it my shop and it sent my and my boys diving for cover from all the ricochets.

I'd love to see a battlefield of airsoft tanks with balsa superstructures going at it until there's nothing left. Just a HL lower and fixed turret with the airsoft mech housed in a balsa, cardboard or light styrene shell. No rotation, aim your tank and fire until there's not enough left to aim.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:04 PM
Wozwasnt

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MAUS45
@Wozwasnt, are the orange parts 3D printed parts? Nice looking parts. Also like what you did with the composit Sherman hull.
Originally Posted by YHR
That looks interesting. Perhaps you would be interested in sharing your blog through a thread with an email link to your latest project? Looks like you have a Cromwell turret starting to take shape there. I certainly would be interested in that!!.

I too have a website that I have used to capture some of my projects, and store them there so if a site crashes all is not lost.

Thanks, Yes the orange is 3d printed (using grey now).

The Cromwell is on hold has I want to try and finish the Priest first (got carried away when I got my printer and started too many projects). My blog is in my sig.

Another reason why I don't post builds here is because it's not the easiest forum to post images on.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:59 PM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I'll be honest I've been remiss about posting updates to my builds on here because of the reasons above, the whole views to comments thing is something I've noticed on here more so than other forumss. Mario can post a master piece and only get a handful of comments but some on posting a fair stock hl will get double that. I can only imagine it's a bit disheartening.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:15 PM
YHR

What was thee learning curve like on the 3D printer?

That is what is holding me up. I wanted to get proficient at CAD before spending the money on what could become an expensive paper weight if I fail to grasp the drawing part of it.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:59 PM
modelbob71

Hi ausf,
The balsa wood tanks reminds me of being a kid. A friend of mine and I used to build old sailing ships out of balso wood with tissue paper sails
and flags etc. and take them to a local lake. We would rent a row boat and with sling shots and BBs shoot at them until one of them was so
torn up and heavy with BBs that it sank! Now that was fun111
Old 08-13-2014, 09:45 AM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by YHR
What was thee learning curve like on the 3D printer?

That is what is holding me up. I wanted to get proficient at CAD before spending the money on what could become an expensive paper weight if I fail to grasp the drawing part of it.
It really isn't that bad. The trick is to get an expensive one if you plan on doing any real modeling with it. This is because you need sealed enclosures for very tiny parts and the best of the best for the .1mm and .05mm resolutions. A lot of printers will do this, but Makerbot is still one of the best. Software would be more of a hamper than hardware. The machine itself is pretty simple once you understand how it works.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:10 AM
YHR

I was looking at the lower range of the higher end printers. From my research Makerbot is still very much entry level. However maybe I should take that as a key. I am an entry level user, so it might be a good place to cut your teeth on the drawing and what is required to produce a good 3D part.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:16 PM
Imex-Erik

Yea the good ones are 50k+
I'm trying to convince bossman I need one of those. I should of never sold mine, I feel the pain already....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.