Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

inspection vehicle, are these any good?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

inspection vehicle, are these any good?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 05:16 AM
cheeky chappie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default inspection vehicle, are these any good?

Hi

I am looking for a cost effective way to check the void space under my house and reckon a RC vehicle of some description is what I need. also needs a camera that has up/down movement and lights to ensure the scene is properly lit. also require live feed e.g. to smartphone, laptop or whatever. I was thinking about putting something together myself however I've found vehicles like this and this ready to go. however, I've read that the android software (it's an android device I have) can be very temperamental. also, whilst the void space under my house isn't overly bumpy terrain wise, it's not smooth either, comprising some areas of standing water (maybe up to 4-5cm deep) and gradients as well, see pic here:

do you reckon the vehicles I've linked to above will do the job? anyone got experience of these sort of vehicles running via android device? finally ... is there a better way that won't break the bank?
Old 08-11-2014, 06:03 AM
cleong

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

How about a Brookstone Rover 2.0?
Old 08-11-2014, 06:38 AM
strmnd54

This BBC documentary, ( the segment between 40:00 min and 45:00 min) should give you an idea for an improvised recon platform...
http://youtu.be/VbX0wYUb_OA
Old 08-11-2014, 06:51 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Android is going to be your best bet my friend. My phone is used for most of our pictures and it is hard to tell the difference between it and our expensive dslr with the correct settings and mods applied. Android itself is a pretty stable platform, it is the software added that can make things unstable. Please check the XDA-Developers forums for almost any and every android phone support/mods/root/roms info. I would suggest finding a 60 or 120fps camera mod to record very smoothly. You will also need some good lights to put on there. Please let me know if you have any android questions, it is one of my personal hobbies
Old 08-11-2014, 08:00 AM
cheeky chappie

thanks for replies guys. the brookestone rover looks like a variant of the ispy tank that i link to in my opening post. imex-erik, i'd read that some of these devices, even if they say 'iOS and Android' tend to be very flaky/intermittent if operated via android devices. do you reckon that's maybe not entirely accurate?
Old 08-14-2014, 05:38 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

It looks like you have enough room to just crawl around under there. The crawl space under my home is less high and I've done it.
I can think of things I'd rather do but if I really need to get an idea of what's going on there's no better way than go see.

Jerry
Old 08-15-2014, 01:04 PM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

I agree with Jerry, that crawl space is quite roomy.

Instead of spending all that money on an inspection vehicle, find a teenager with a go-pro and a cell phone and give him ten bucks to go down there and film what ever you want.

Then buy a RC tank for fun with the money you save.