Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

HL sample Sherman?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 08:53 AM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by maxu52
Martin, you're an American Expat living in the UK?
Actually, when I picked the name I was an Ex Pat Brit living in Detroit. Stupid forum software wouldn't let me change my name to Re Pat Tanker when I moved home...
Old 08-13-2014, 09:18 AM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
So we seem to be missing a 75mm turret huh?
Pretty much. The 105mm turrets are close to a high bustle 75mm, but have the extra turret ventilator tower at the rear, and the mantlet is different and protrudes further from the front of the turret face - I had to take the dremel to both the HL and Tamiya turrets, so that Nicks mantlet sat closer to the turret face (as well as whip off the offending ventilator).

If you are thinking of doing a 75mm turret, the only chassis it would go on currently is the HL M4A3 - there were no 75mm versions of Tamiyas big hatch M4 or Mato's M4A1 (dicounting DD versions anyway).

If you want to do something different, I'd suggest looking at the small hatch M4 - a change of engine deck would make an M4A2 for lend lease service (or USMC), and for the adventurous, a hull stretch makes an M4A4...
Old 08-13-2014, 09:24 AM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Originally Posted by ksoc
My understanding is that for a proper Tamiya Easy Eight, you need a different Turret (T23?) 76mm Main Gun and mantle, vented (grills) engine deck, and an exhaust diffuser..... though I could be wrong
Correct. Technically you need to alter the angle of the rear upper hull as well, as the M4A3 slopes more than the M4 does - Ethan has done this on his builds, unfortunately I was less educated about the differences back in 2010 when I built mine tho
Old 08-13-2014, 10:20 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mato is coming out with a metal Sherman with the 75 mm mantlet and gun. Release date on this should be any day now. I think there may be another Mato surprise coming out with it.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:21 PM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Ex_Pat_Tanker
Pretty much. The 105mm turrets are close to a high bustle 75mm, but have the extra turret ventilator tower at the rear, and the mantlet is different and protrudes further from the front of the turret face - I had to take the dremel to both the HL and Tamiya turrets, so that Nicks mantlet sat closer to the turret face (as well as whip off the offending ventilator).

If you are thinking of doing a 75mm turret, the only chassis it would go on currently is the HL M4A3 - there were no 75mm versions of Tamiyas big hatch M4 or Mato's M4A1 (dicounting DD versions anyway).

If you want to do something different, I'd suggest looking at the small hatch M4 - a change of engine deck would make an M4A2 for lend lease service (or USMC), and for the adventurous, a hull stretch makes an M4A4...
If we were to do a 75mm why not do it right and make a metal lower to go with it? I will talk with the bossman tonight about this
Old 08-13-2014, 12:52 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

I think you may be on to a winner there...

Common chassis.
Upper deck with separate engine deck so that the same moulding could be used for M4 and M4A2
Common low bustle turret suitable for both M34 (early narrow) and M34A1 (later wide mantlet)

Make 1 version an early M4A2 in desert or Mediterranean theatre colours
Make another version a mid production M4 in the ETO

Scratch builders can make numerous variants from there on in. Bonus points will be awarded for offering optional M3 style bogies with the return roller central rather than on a trailing arm..
Old 08-13-2014, 02:58 PM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Ex_Pat_Tanker
Actually, when I picked the name I was an Ex Pat Brit living in Detroit. Stupid forum software wouldn't let me change my name to Re Pat Tanker when I moved home...
Now that's a cool story. Unfortunately I'm STILL in Detroit. At least I have what I think is a very cool tank trail in my backyard, so that makes it more bearable. I just wish there were more tankers around here. Here's a couple videos of the tank trail. Keep in mind that it's a work in progress.

[h=3]100 2276[/h][h=3]100 2357 guard shack[/h]And now an open invitation to anyone that wants to check it out in person, I'd be glad to know there's other tankers close enough to drop in from time to time.

Gary
Old 08-13-2014, 03:00 PM
Max-U52

And if you want to see the track from the top of the Tauschpanzer look for one of my other threads titled "Wanna go for a ride?" I get such a kick out of setting the video camera on top of a tank and driving it around, but then, I always was easily amused. :-)
Old 08-13-2014, 03:15 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

You're in Detroit? Are you aware of DTC? If not, contact EOT on this forum and get involved.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:22 PM
Max-U52

Yes, Livonia, to be precise. Watch the video a couple posts back and I'm sure you'll understand when I talk about 6 Mile, and I'm at Middlebelt. Think 275 & 96. What part of the D were you in?

I've met with the DTC guys, very cool bunch, but we're SERIOUSLY spread out. They battle in Hazel Park now, and I think for all but one guy it's at least a 40 minute drive. And I'm not yet Tamiya compatible, so I have to take care of that. I have the taigen IR in a full metal T1 late, and I'm about to convert a T1 early to IR so I've been wondering about this unit

MAKO2 IR BATTLE SYSTEM for Heng Long & Taigen Tanks - $49.50 : RC Tanks Australia, Online Store

Ever heard of it? The way I understand it, I don't have to change to something like a clark board and a different TX, I can still use the 2.4 Ghz system that came with the tank. That would be pretty awesome, but I still have to look into it a bit more. I'm still a rookie at this and even though I've been doing static for 45 years, a lot of skills (like soldering) are in need of improvement. I'm becoming a pretty good tank driver, but so far I've only participated in one IR battle (in a PIII) and I didn't survive. :-(

Last edited by Max-U52; 08-13-2014 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:48 PM
mustclime

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a good site...

http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_m...m_turrets.html
Old 08-13-2014, 10:21 PM
Baliw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've met with the DTC guys, very cool bunch, but we're SERIOUSLY spread out. They battle in Hazel Park now, and I think for all but one guy it's at least a 40 minute drive. And I'm not yet Tamiya compatible, so I have to take care of that. I have the taigen IR in a full metal T1 late, and I'm about to convert a T1 early to IR so I've been wondering about this unit

MAKO2 IR BATTLE SYSTEM for Heng Long & Taigen Tanks - $49.50 : RC Tanks Australia, Online Store
Sent you a PM on Mako.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:54 AM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Yes, Livonia, to be precise. Watch the video a couple posts back and I'm sure you'll understand when I talk about 6 Mile, and I'm at Middlebelt. Think 275 & 96. What part of the D were you in? metal T1 late, and I'm about to convert a T1 early to IR so I've been wondering about this unit
I lived in Wixom, worked most of the time in our office in Plymouth right by Beck and M14, so not too far from you at all.

I've no experience of the Mako, its not really what I would consider a compatible system as it does not slow the tank down as you take hits - not sure whether that's still a requirement in DTC or not these days, but it will be if you ever make it down to the AAF Museum.

Unfortunately with the Taigen 2.4 GHz system you are kind of stuck for options at the moment, unless one of the guys has an RX18 and radio set from a HL going spare, in which case I'd suggest getting the original DBC from Darkith instead?
Old 08-14-2014, 09:00 PM
strmnd54

Here's the link for a short but interesting video with Sherman variants, a couple of m-24 Chaffee and a m-46 Patton; if I'm not mistaken...
http://youtu.be/MYuMb9GRbW4
Old 08-15-2014, 05:27 AM
YHR

Yes, Livonia, to be precise. Watch the video a couple posts back and I'm sure you'll understand when I talk about 6 Mile, and I'm at Middlebelt. Think 275 & 96. What part of the D were you in?

Ever heard of it? The way I understand it, I don't have to change to something like a clark board and a different TX, I can still use the 2.4 Ghz system that came with the tank. That would be pretty awesome, but I still have to look into it a bit more. I'm still a rookie at this and even though I've been doing static for 45 years, a lot of skills (like soldering) are in need of improvement. I'm becoming a pretty good tank driver, but so far I've only participated in one IR battle (in a PIII) and I didn't survive. :-(
Before you spend any money, You should check this page on my site out, and do some feature by feature comparisons

http://battlearmorrc.weebly.com/infrared-battling.html

Then make an informed decision that works for you. A full featured 2.4 ghz system can be had from HK for less then $30, and is far superior to the factory 2.4 ghz system that come with these tanks. I have set up many tanks with these and they work fine. 6 channels with proportional control on channels 5 and 6. As far as structure durability goes all transmitters are solid state electronics housed in a plastic box. I have had apart many brands of radios and there is little to differentiate them on the inside construction wise.

So focus on the substance of what you are purchasing. Do a feature by feature comparison and see what upgrade paths are available.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:49 AM
Baliw

Originally Posted by YHR
A full featured 2.4 ghz system can be had from HK for less then $30, and is far superior to the factory 2.4 ghz system that come with these tanks. I have set up many tanks with these and they work fine. 6 channels with proportional control on channels 5 and 6. As far as structure durability goes all transmitters are solid state electronics housed in a plastic box. I have had apart many brands of radios and there is little to differentiate them on the inside construction wise.
Do these HK systems come with both sticks self-centering, or have components that make it self-centering? Been looking for answers on which of these radios have them....
Old 08-15-2014, 07:11 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Baliw
Do these HK systems come with both sticks self-centering, or have components that make it self-centering? Been looking for answers on which of these radios have them....
Very few AC style hobby radios have self-centering sticks. Reason being most surface craft don't need the aircraft style, so the pistol style is more widely used. Futaba Attack is the main AC style Tx for surface and if you buy a Tamiya from Japan, you'll get the Attack Tx/Rx included (Home market only). The Futaba Skysports can be easily made selfcentering on both, if you buy a Spectrum from Horizon, they'll do it for you (but not sell you the kit). I just copied the plastic lever from the right stick in aluminum stock and made my DX61 left stick self centering.

Not sure about HK Txs. I use the Orange box Rxs in everything, but never bought a radio from them. Just email them or post a question on their website, they'll answer you.

I have two very old Futaba Attacks with crystals that I still use, the Attack 2.4 that came with my JS-2 from Japan and the DX6i that handles all my other stuff (two Tamiyas, Kubelwagen, Kettenkrad). If it was just me, I'd stick with the one Tx for all (10 model memory), but with kids, it's great to have 4 separate radios to break out in a battle at anytime.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:47 AM
YHR

Originally Posted by Baliw
I am not sure if you can buy the components to make the stick self centering, but I have my own supply that I add to the radio's when I sell them along with the custom tanks I do.

The HKT6a radio is very capable. There is a USB cable that you hook up to a computer and with the software you can do many things with it( if you want). Ie digitally access end point adjustments to limit the max speed of the tank, Mix channels to allow the radio to handle servo recoil.( DBC4 now has this built in). However what I am saying is with a decent programmable radio you can do a lot of things, and the $30 HK T6a is that radio. Extra receivers are less the $9.00 as well. Add the fact that channels 5 and 6 are proportional dials with no return to center means gun elevation or turret rotation can be handled by the receiver. You don't even need a tank controller.

I personally like using the computer to interface with the radio. Some of these radios with onboard programming are a little touchy and hard to see with their small on board LCD screens. In the case of the HKT6a you would store each configuration file on your computer for each tank. Your files are unlimited. You could have a thousand different tanks all with different nuances, and have each file saved, Downloading that file on to the tranmitter is like opening up a word document.

The downside is the fact that for simple things like servo reversal you have to hook it up to the computer to make this change, where as on a basic radio there is usually mechanical reverse switch on the front face of the transmitter

I have the Spektrum DX6I and it is a good radio. As Aus has stated the fact you can store 10 tanks and have assess to these files onboard the radio is convenient. Typically all my tanks are set up exactly the the same so this isn't much of an issue for what do. Guys with basic radios tend to set up their tanks all the same as well.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:30 AM
Max-U52

Originally Posted by mustclime
Yes it is a good site. Very good.

And THIS would make a very cool R/C tank. A T-23?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sherman 49.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	2022805  
Old 08-16-2014, 01:34 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

And THIS would make a very cool R/C tank. A T-23?

I believe edoubleaz was well underway making one of these (maybe a T-25?) with HVSS but mysteriously stopped.

I would but have WAY too much on my plate. LOL

Jeff
Old 04-10-2015, 11:49 PM
bowlman

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts

Going over old post Patton Commander did the T-23 in 2012 .

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-t...t-23-tank.html

Jimmy
Old 04-11-2015, 02:58 AM
Max-U52

Great find, Jimmy. Giving me ideas for future projects. I never thought of putting the VVSS on a Pershing! It really does look cool like that, and something not too many guys have. Then again, I'll bet Rex has one!
Old 04-11-2015, 10:38 PM
bowlman

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts

He could but I'm not shore he mite chime in . I would like to have one myself I due have an extra T-23 turret from Nick and 1 from a Mato .

Jimmy