Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

ACE/AAF Danville event Sept. 19-21 2014!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

ACE/AAF Danville event Sept. 19-21 2014!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 05:35 AM
DaveBcool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will also try to update my graphic, and post as soon as I can.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:08 PM
kev308

I see there are alot of hotels there, where do you all recommend?
Thanks,
Kevin
Old 09-05-2014, 05:19 PM
cleong

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

Comfort Inn and the Innkeeper are two of the common options
Old 09-05-2014, 05:21 PM
kev308

Thanks!
Old 09-05-2014, 06:03 PM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Hey Fellas,

I've been into the R/C tank hobby for a little over a year now, and so far I'm having great fun. Working on the tanks and my tank village and sharing info and techniques with the guys here on the forum has been a real blast. I mean that, too, a real 88mm blast. I've just started to get beyond the toy level, converting tanks to IR and getting ready to go with a Tamiya compatible system. I'm even trying to save up the dough to get a Tamiya Sherman sometime around Christmas. The battling aspect sounds terrific, and it's something I'd really like to try. My problem is that while the guys I've met here on the forum are really cool cats that are just the kind of guys I'd like to hang out with and even have over to the house to turn some tiny little wrenches, the minute the subject of rules and fan shots and all that other garbage comes up, this hobby turns out to be populated by the kind of guys I do NOT wanna hang with. People that are that competitive that they have to pull crap like that to win make this hobby nothing more than laser tag, and I have no interest in that. I've always felt that any man who feels it's all right to use any kind of cheap shot has no honor, and there's no room in my life for jerks like that. That's really too bad, because I really would like to attend an event like this for many, many reasons, but as long as this stuff continues I won't be coming to any events. Now, I know that doesn't matter and no one will be losing any sleep over my absence, but I do hope it at least gives guys something to think about. I constantly hear support for expanding the hobby, but this has chased me away from the organized battle aspect of the hobby before I even got started, and I do believe I'm one of these newbies that the old timers want to attract to keep the hobby alive. If I'm that turned off before I even get to attend an event, then it seems like something needs fixin'.

My apologies to you, Benny, if it seems like I'm hijacking your thread. That is definitely not my intent, I just felt this would be a great place to bring this up as most of the guys that will be attending the event will be reading this and now if it seems like there aren't as many first timers there as there should be, at least now you have an explanation for why this crazy old hippie is sittin' this one out.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:24 PM
cleong

maxu52, you're hearing about all this second-hand, so the best thing you could do is get down there and see it for yourself. I have been battling at Danville for close to a year now, and have not suffered a blatant fan shot, lag shot or any form of unfair play, no matter which tank club was hosting it that weekend - and I have attended games held by ACE, H*E*A*T and NEAD. Do yourself a favor and give it a go.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:45 PM
thecommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Now, I know that doesn't matter and no one will be losing any sleep over my absence..." Maxu52

This may be of little consolation to you ....but I am the guy that looses sleep over your not coming to Danville!

so please do come. I will be your wing man and fight alongside you. If you don't have a great time at the ACE Battleday I will personally refund you your FULL entrance fee. That is how sure I am that you will have a blast at Danville.

I have battled RC tanks in 9 states from New England to Texas. Plus Canada, England, France & Germany too. I've fought with over 100+ super RC tankers from a wide variety of clubs. All of them were gentleman and we get along like brothers...this means we disagree sometimes...but we do not fight & have arguments. This fan shot trick infuriated many of us intermediates and rookie tankers until it was eradicated. It was banned by "gentleman's agreement" at the NEAD Danville event in November of 2011. A few guys still miss it and Brett is just trying to accommodate all tastes and level of tankers.

YOU MUST COME SEE FOR YOURSELF. Leong said and others I am sure will add....Be your own judge .

I have been making my money back offer at NEAD run events at Danville for years. I am extending my offer to the ACE Danville event because I know Brett & the ACE Club will show us all a great time.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	insomnia.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	2029710  

Last edited by thecommander; 09-06-2014 at 05:19 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:33 AM
TheBennyB

Originally Posted by maxu52
Hey Fellas,

I've been into the R/C tank hobby for a little over a year now, and so far I'm having great fun. Working on the tanks and my tank village and sharing info and techniques with the guys here on the forum has been a real blast. I mean that, too, a real 88mm blast. I've just started to get beyond the toy level, converting tanks to IR and getting ready to go with a Tamiya compatible system. I'm even trying to save up the dough to get a Tamiya Sherman sometime around Christmas. The battling aspect sounds terrific, and it's something I'd really like to try. My problem is that while the guys I've met here on the forum are really cool cats that are just the kind of guys I'd like to hang out with and even have over to the house to turn some tiny little wrenches, the minute the subject of rules and fan shots and all that other garbage comes up, this hobby turns out to be populated by the kind of guys I do NOT wanna hang with. People that are that competitive that they have to pull crap like that to win make this hobby nothing more than laser tag, and I have no interest in that. I've always felt that any man who feels it's all right to use any kind of cheap shot has no honor, and there's no room in my life for jerks like that. That's really too bad, because I really would like to attend an event like this for many, many reasons, but as long as this stuff continues I won't be coming to any events. Now, I know that doesn't matter and no one will be losing any sleep over my absence, but I do hope it at least gives guys something to think about. I constantly hear support for expanding the hobby, but this has chased me away from the organized battle aspect of the hobby before I even got started, and I do believe I'm one of these newbies that the old timers want to attract to keep the hobby alive. If I'm that turned off before I even get to attend an event, then it seems like something needs fixin'.

My apologies to you, Benny, if it seems like I'm hijacking your thread. That is definitely not my intent, I just felt this would be a great place to bring this up as most of the guys that will be attending the event will be reading this and now if it seems like there aren't as many first timers there as there should be, at least now you have an explanation for why this crazy old hippie is sittin' this one out.
Maxu,
I know alot of tankers have your opinion and it is a fair one. With regards to the "shots" like cleong said you don't really see them much to begin with. They are just permitted to
stop bickering on the definitions of implentation. It's always easy to criticize something especially if you've never done or seen it. Nothing at the Danville battle weekends is considered
high competiton, just a bunch of good people and families having a great time with their toys. I've had many of the tankers and their families that attend the Danville battle weekends to my house for "fun runs" and consider them all my good buddies. Don't let all the flaming threads on this forum deter you from any battledays you may attend where ever you are. This is a small
hobby and finding enough people to get a battle going is tough to begin with. Hope you can make it to a batteday soon!

Last edited by TheBennyB; 09-06-2014 at 04:39 AM.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:45 AM
Max-U52

Just a quick reply for now - I have been giving this a great deal of thought and after analyzing my attitudes and opinions it occurs to me that I'm rushing to conclusions without sufficient information. I now think I am placing too much emphasis on the actual battling, and not the many other things an event like this has to offer. After a serious amount of thought and consideration, I now think it may be a good idea (and this isn't written in stone so opinions and advice are welcome) for me to attend one of these events and not even bring a tank of my own. Just come and watch and talk to people and eat and drink and be merry (I actually rarely drink alcohol so that's not what I'll be drinking, but you know what I mean). I think if I do that I'll have MUCH more information and I'll be able to make a much more educated evaluation of the whole hobby and where I see myself fitting in. Like I said before, I'm really having a blast just working on my tanks and socializing with all the great guys on the forum, and that by itself is worth sticking around for.

However, being in Detroit, Danville is a long way to travel just to look around. If I understand things correctly, this will be the last event at Danville for this year, and possibly until after the move? If that's the case it will be a real shame to miss it, but I think realistically I won't be able to make an event until spring. Hopefully there will be something in Danville early in the year before the move and I'll get one last chance to observe what's there now, but I'm sure the new digs will also be spectacular so if that's my first event that's cool, too. I'll do my best to make the DTC battle tomorrow, but I think any of the major events will have to wait till next year. But the main point is, I'm not giving up, and I'm still having a great time and I'm not ready to throw in the towel quite yet. Yes, that means you guys are still stuck with my smart mouth, but that might even be good for a few laughs.

Edit: I answer to Max or Gary. The screen name is because my Grandfather's first name was Max, and the U-52 is the U Boat he served on until he was killed in 1941. Hence Maxu52. I wish I could edit that and make the U an upper case letter (MaxU52), but I guess once you choose a screen name there's no going back. :-(

Last edited by Max-U52; 09-06-2014 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:54 PM
thecommander

I am glad to see that you are staying open minded Maxu. Now I can sleep comfortably tonight.

Come to the September event and just have a great time. Fly, drive (car pool), bus or train Even hitch-hike....just come. Bring you favorite tank (even if it is without and IR just to drive around between battles). I will get you on the field with a IR tank. I have a knack for forcing people to have fun and enjoy themselves and would appreciate a challenge in two weeks. Lets do this!!!

PS I'm fairly certain that the November Danville weekend hosted by NEAD is still a safe bet and the end of year event too.

Name:	Man Asleep small baed.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	2029709  

Last edited by thecommander; 09-06-2014 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:57 PM
Max-U52

November might be possible, Bob. Can I get ya to keep me posted?
Old 09-07-2014, 09:41 AM
DaveBcool

Default Rolling Thunder Cheat Sheet

Attached is a graphic of the newest Rolling Thunder Battles that will be PART of the upcoming ACE Battle weekend.
Please spend some time looking at this BEFORE the battleday.
It really is not that complicated if you spend some time with it.
It is 11 x 17 inches, and I suggest printing it out so it is easier to navigate.
I also suggest that you read through the whole thing once, then go back and use the numbered references to put all the pieces together.
If you have seen this graphic before, or attended a previous RT battle, then you will notice a few things have changed.
A few changes to note:
-Each team gets only 1-Artillery Strike per battle, which can be used at any time. (no timed-window)
-Any Tank hit by a strike can be Recovered.
-Any tank that enters a minefield is K/O, and cannot move or fire until the minefield is cleared and then the tank can be recovered.
-All timed Support Unit Operations are now only 2 minutes, this includes: clearing mines, repairing bridges, or supplying fuel

Jakes longer description of RT adds more in-depth descriptions and strategies.
Feel free to ask questions, there more we get answered before the event, the better.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
RollingThunderRev3a.pdf (1.25 MB, 281 views)
Old 09-07-2014, 09:47 AM
DaveBcool

Here is a .jpg that will fit on 8.5 x 11, but may be hard to read at that scale.

Name:	RollingThunderRev3a.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	3.12 MB
ID:	2029883  
Old 09-07-2014, 09:59 AM
cleong

I see some improvements in the gameplay. Two thumbs up!
Old 09-07-2014, 10:56 AM
TheBennyB

Originally Posted by cleong
I see some improvements in the gameplay. Two thumbs up!
Yup, we listened to feedback and have done some changes to quicken the battles a bit.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:09 AM
DaveBcool

One week to go!
Who else is comin'?
Old 09-12-2014, 05:58 AM
Rustytrax

Originally Posted by DaveBcool
One week to go!
Who else is comin'?
DUH... all the cool kids will be there!
Old 09-12-2014, 06:07 AM
DaveBcool

Sorry you can't make it.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:15 AM
TheBennyB

All you tankers that have always thought about coming to Danville but have always put it off, now's your chance. Be sure to try and make it to the largest indoor R/C tank battlefield in the world.
Start getting your tanks, batts, spare parts, etc ready to pack up and come have a great time with some great people. If you plan on attending please take 15 minutes to look over the schedule
and battle scenario's we'll be running. We will still have driver briefings every morning and before the scenario's start but the more who know whats going on the less we have to talk and more
time on the battlefield.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:40 AM
TheBennyB

One day to go tankers!! Get those batteries charged and do a final functions test on your tanks. Looks like we'll have some great weather so the museum should be comfortable.
I'll be leaving tonite and will be at the museum Friday morning @ 10am for check-in's.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:17 AM
Rustytrax

I'm out! Work just got crazy.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:19 AM
TheBennyB

Originally Posted by Rustytrax
I'm out! Work just got crazy.
Good job Dave, you scared him off! Hope to see you at the next one Troy.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:14 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by maxu52
Hey Fellas,

I totally missed this conversation but if you can make it to Danville, TAKE A TANK!!! I have been there twice and loved it! Great museum, great staff and super great tankers!

If for some reason you cant bring your own I know Bob won't let you just stand there. There are PLENTY of tanks to borrow!

And PLEASE let me know when the "Tank Track" is ready! That is, if I'm invited! It would be cool to finally meet you.

Jeff
Old 09-22-2014, 08:07 AM
thecommander

I travel to Danville with Leong and my daughter Krista on Friday and we had a great time. Thanks to Brett, Jake and all the other ACE guys for hosting and event. It is a great deal of work.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:01 AM
TheBennyB

Want to thank the AAF tank museum and everyone who traveled near and far to attend our event. We had over 30 tankers on Saturday and also had high turn outs for Friday and
Sunday. I had a great time, be sure and look for more animal hunts and Rolling Thunder 3.0 next spring!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.