Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

2.4ghz Mato Sherman

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 05:48 AM
Fury25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.4ghz Mato Sherman

Hi All,

Tried to covert my Mato Sherman, from the std radio to the Mato 2.4ghz unit,but am concerned that the new 2.4ghz TX/RX unit is faulty.

Symptoms include:

· The tank will not drive in any way
· Tank will not shoot the airsoft gun even though I can hear ittrying to.

Interestingly however, theturret turns and elevates normally and the machine gun function works normallyas well.

Any ideas on what the problem is or what I am doing wrong?

In case all else fails, does anyone have a 2.4ghz TX/RX unit that isfunctional that they do not need anymore?

Many thanks

Old 08-24-2014, 06:12 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As with any electronic issues with RC, first make sure you have a good, fully charged battery. The fact that the signal is getting through to the functions that work, but the larger draw mechanics (motors and airsoft) to me is a sure sign of low voltage. Whether it is or not, remains to be seen, but it has to be eliminated as possible cause first.

I don't want to assume anything regarding you battery/charger setup, but the NiCads that come with HLs are junk as is the wall charger. A good programmable charger is a necessary tool in this hobby.

The more sophisticated things get, the more they can brown out. I added an amp to my StuG and had firing timing issues. Heck, two days ago my Volvo gave me a warning : "Brake failure, stop immediately" while driving. Turned out to be a voltage drop from the ignition switch, a common issue apparently.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:07 AM
Fury25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks ausf,

Had already tried a number of freshly charged baterries (LiPo, NiMh and NiCad) with the same ' symptoms showing up.

I am wondering if it is the TX or RX.

Not smart enough to figure out if it is the RX.

I did however open up the TX and noted that internally, the stub antenna had a solder blob with nothing attached to it. I was wondering...should this be connected to something else in the TX?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Matorro Sherman 2.4ghz TX pic2.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	2025609  
Old 08-25-2014, 04:45 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yikes.

I way I understand 2.4 antenna is it's tuned to a certain length. It's not like an AM set with the longer the better type, if you add to the antenna wire, you'd screw up the reception. If you open a Spectrum Tx, you'd find a simple wire tucked in the housing, same with the Rxs, just a 2 inch or so wire.

That said, the antenna has to be connected to something. It's hard to tell by the pic, but I'd look around for connection spot on the board somewhere, or maybe ask someone else to open up their Tx (I don't have a Mato) and see what should be where. Definitely looks like somethings wrong, maybe it's time to look into returning it.