Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

2.4ghx questions

Can any 2.4ghz controller operate a taigen or henglong 2.4ghz tank? Or do you need the specific controller from the manufacturer?

Second, I hope I ask this right, is a henglong RX18 able to IR battle with the 2.4ghz henglong tanks?

thanks for any help.
    Terry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    The answer to the first question is no. The system are proprietary and you will have to use the radio supplied.

2nd question I am not sure about.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Like YHR said you will need our transmitters for our tanks. There are however plenty of aftermarket motherboards that allow use of hobby grade transmitters like the Clark board and such. There are lots of guys here with that kind of info. Curtis over at Immortal Hobbies (FreakyDude here on the forums) will probably be your best bet. He is the distributor of Clark boards here in NA and can set you up with a nice hobby radio too
    Tech, Support, and Sales for IMEX Model Company/Taigen Tanks
    1-800-458-5785 or 352-754-8522 (9-6PM EST Mon-Fri)
    (Too many tanks to list, but atm I am above 30)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by paintjockey View Post
    Can any 2.4ghz controller operate a taigen or henglong 2.4ghz tank? Or do you need the specific controller from the manufacturer?

Second, I hope I ask this right, is a henglong RX18 able to IR battle with the 2.4ghz henglong tanks?

thanks for any help.
    Terry
    For the first Q, no, you'll need something else to add to that like an RC5HL from RC Tanks Australia for the HL only.

As to the second, if the box says it has IR battle function then yes you can buy an IR kit and plug it in the RX-18. Take a look at the RX-18 and wiring diagrams from the internet; if it has a 5 pin IR port most likely it has IR functionality. I recently got my 2 HL IR kits from Welsh Dragon Hobbies (great because it comes soldered together into the 5 pin plug) and just plugged it in.

(I am assuming you have an airsoft tank and just wondering if you can add IR and battle other HL. Taigen IR doesn't work with HL and vice versa.)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I have an IR taigen with a Henglong RX18 and an airsoft henglong with no RX18 I want to upgrade. Just looking at my options. I'd like to go with clark but I don't have the money to convert right now. My RX18 works well, except for that annoying recoil, so I figured i'd stay with that.

Terry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    The DBC 3 can be added to an RX 18, Adds momentum, gets rid of that horrible recoil, as well as adds Tamiya IR, and leaves the HL IR intact so you can use that.

Here is a link to a page that best describes what a DBC3 will do for you

http://battlearmorrc.weebly.com/infrared-battling.html.

This is all plug and play and allows you to use a hobby grade receiver. You don't need the Benedini for sound but have the option to add it later if you want.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    paint jockey, if you need to you can also buy an ATRC sold by Kevin at RCTanks australia. It will remove the aggravating recoil and nothing else. easy to install and your good to go, they are less than 30 or 40 bucks as well. in my opinion this is the lowest cost option for removing the heng long track recoil.
    when your ready for a Clark board drop me a line

For your question part 2, same HL battle system in both boards so I would think they can battle each other. The signal recieving part of the board has nothing to do with the battling part of the board.
    www.shop.immortalhobbies.com

North American Distributor Of The Clark TK20 and TK22 Boards

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Interesting question I want to know the answer too.. Curtis is right about that, the IR battling parts of the RX-18 & 2.4ghz boards should ​be the same.
    CAN-AM Rc Tank Club - Tiger I * Panzer IV * Panzer III * Chi Nu Kai * Stug III-G **** KV-2 * Pershing * T-34/85 * M4A1 Sherman * SU-76i

Clark board wizard. I can fix it!

By now you've probably upgraded or not, just thought i'd add my 2 cents because 2.4gig is probably the only thing that kept me in the hobby. The RX18 or any of the other HL junk i could never to get work for very long. A day or two, a week tops before something in the tanks electrics went out. THEN you have to decide, is it the board or the Tx? How do i check? (You probably need at least two tanks and two Tx and Rx sets, at least one set that is known good, just to swap parts for diagnosing...). Plus the tank, even when parts are unfried/unbroken would only work for 5 minutes tops before the signals started getting crossed, literally. Tank would respond to the Tx one moment then just sit there the next. It was frustrating and was about to give up. THEN i got the HL 2.4 gig set, from TPA store store on amazon. They test their products so when they send you something it will almost certainly work.

Other places, like a lot of the people on Ebay or "Ali Express" will send you a part not knowing or caring if it's defective or not. Then when you get the part, if it is defective (and you now know this because you tested it in your other tank with known good parts etc.) and you complain for a new one, they blow you off. Many will just ignore your emails. In most cases when they do that all you pretty much can do is never buy from them again because the "Ebay guaranty" only applies to whether you got what item you ordered or not- BUT NOT IT'S CONDITION. That's why i stick with the Amazon shop, TPA store i think it is called, they have treated me right. Even sent me free batteries to double check a problem (they were right, the parts were good).

If you get the 2.4ghz its an easy setup if you have the RX18 already, just swap plugs. The Rx needs to be "bound" to the transmitter you are using, it's simple to do this so long as it came with the "binding cord" has been sent (and if you buy the whole 2.4 gig radio system from TPA store they do this for you and test it beforehand, so not only will it work all you have to do is swap the plugs and the tank should work).

For Heng long, just it case someone is reading this looking for how, here's how you bind the Rx and Transmitter. Turn on tank. Turn on transmitter. Grab the binding cord (it'll be the cord with the button on the end, which you will surely have noticed by now if it came plugged in already-if not this 3 pin plug goes into the socket that used to be occupied by the RX18 receiver wire). Now press the button on the end of the wire down and hold it down. It's tiny, i know, but just hold it. Now press down on the first button on the transmitter and hold that down too. If your speaker is hooked up or yo ur headlights or flashing, either listen to the speaker sound change or watch the headlights. After several seconds (anywhere from 10 to 20 seconds ought to do it) the headlights should stop flashing and/or you've heard the speaker do its usual start routine and its settled down to its low idle sound. Release the button on the Tx and you are done with this. (You can remove the binding cord from the Rx if you desire, it's not needed after they are bound-I usually just leave mine there in case i want to swap transmitters and, so the binding cord doesn't get lost!)

Some people feel the fan on the Taigen 2.4 Ghz receiver is overkill. I think they have a good idea. For my 3 tanks i have 3 receiver boxes with a 25 mm, 5 volt, 8000 rpm ever cool fan glued on. I traced around a nickel with a sharpie after centering the hole using the fan to locate where it should be- and go to town with me dremel. Just be sure and leave enough plastic to epoxy the fan to the box and MAKE SURE THE FAN IS POINTING THE RIGHT WAY before you glue! You need to see it spin first, to know which way the airflow goes. I like to blow air, and heat through the unit not try to pull it out. (Actually in theory probably either way would work) they tell you also have to chop some "slots" in the side of the lower Rx box too for the air to flow out and there are a few posts out there that will tell you where the slots need to be cut. Just the sides, cutting holes in the bottom of the box will i think, achieve nothing good.

Some people like to leave their Rx's, even the 2.4 ghz one, "naked" and just mount it and run it without the box. If that works for them, it's all good on them but that's not for me..., it's asking for a short probably. And many debate on whether the Rx's need to add-on cooling, at all, in the first place? iSn the first place? v ome people feel no so they run them stock, others feel strongly they do need cooling as we know even the batteries and the motors do often gt hot pulling all the weight of a 1/16 tank, especially the tanks with metal tracks, metal wheels and Taigen hulls the designed weight has now grown almost double with the batterie and m
    same drivetrain, unchanged.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I am glad the Taigen /HL 2.4 ghz stuff is working for you. I imagine it is fine for most people. It comes with the tank, might as well use it. But if you are thinking of upgrading, better give this some serious thought.

Once you want sound, and a battle system, you will find no expandability for this stuff. Any other system will require you to ditch the stock 2.4 gHz stuff so if you are thinking about the idea of better sound you should really consider this.

A HK T6A is inexpensive, less then a Taigen or Heng Long set up and can be used with any of the 3rd party sound and battle systems. A T6A and a Clark will set you back about $130. if you already have the RX 18 then a DBC3 and a T6A is about $110.. You end up with much more with either of these systems.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    RC5HL look cheaper, only AUS$47.60. Anyone using RC5HL?
    HSP XSTR 1/10 4WD Electric Powered Off-road Buggy
    HL U.S.M41A3 Walker Bulldog Light Tank - Steel gearbox, metal sprocket & tracks
    HL German Panther (PanTiger) - Steel gearbox, metal sprocket, idler & tracks, HL 2.4GHz system

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    So exactly what do you get for your $47.60?. Here is where you want to think about your future needs and whether what you are buying is going to deliver or not, and at what cost.

I personally feel , Feature/ $ it is pretty hard to beat the Clark or the DBC3. Where the DBC3 is really starting to shine is that it can be used as a stand alone Benedini Encoder and work with any electronic ESC that uses standard RC signals. It is not tied to the RX18 anymore. I'll be dropping one in a PT boat this winter I hope, and listen to some Packard power for a change..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I get to use standard 2.4Ghz radio of course. That's all I want. Sure I'm also considering Clark TK22 board.
    HL German Panther (PanTiger) - Steel gearbox, metal sprocket, idler & tracks, HL 2.4GHz system

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    That is kind of where I was going. At $70 the DBC3 would have you with momentum, Tamiya compatible battle system, recoil blocked, and left the door open for upgrading to one of the best sound systems

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by kizwan View Post
    RC5HL look cheaper, only AUS$47.60. Anyone using RC5HL?
    I sold the RC5HL and all of the Mako product until that is I tried a Clark board, then I switched everything, My tanks were first then my business. Haven't looked back, from a tanker point of view there is no comparison. Having modules in your tank that do specific things and you end up with costly parts that create a spaghetti bowl inside your tank. One thing fails and good luck solving the issue. The issues I have had setting up Clarks are very low in comparison and for the most part they are easy fixes.
    Matter of fact I have one Mako set up left, If your interested I will give you a real deal on it.
    The RX18 is in my opinion a $5.00 part at best.
    www.shop.immortalhobbies.com

North American Distributor Of The Clark TK20 and TK22 Boards

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by FreakyDude View Post
    I sold the RC5HL and all of the Mako product until that is I tried a Clark board, then I switched everything, My tanks were first then my business. Haven't looked back, from a tanker point of view there is no comparison. Having modules in your tank that do specific things and you end up with costly parts that create a spaghetti bowl inside your tank. One thing fails and good luck solving the issue. The issues I have had setting up Clarks are very low in comparison and for the most part they are easy fixes.
    Matter of fact I have one Mako set up left, If your interested I will give you a real deal on it.
    The RX18 is in my opinion a $5.00 part at best.
    I don't share that opinion.

All boards have a failure rate. I have RX18's running 14 pound tanks without issue. As long as you have the right gearing, the components on the RX18 can handle most anything. Yes they have failures, but for $20 they are replaced. The Benedini is the only board I have ever used that has been 100% flawless., but of course it has no ESC, so less to go wrong. I also think the latest version of the 27MHz RX18 is the best,. There has been about 6 upgrades over the years, so not really fair to generalize and lump them all together.

Really how many of the new 2.4's gHz do you hear about going up in smoke???.Not many, same basic board as the latest RX18 updated to 2.4 ghz., SO the RX18 you can get today is different then the early versions. I use the RX 18 in other projects as well. Once you get them converted to run on regular hobby radios you can use then in all kinds of stuff. Pretty decent ESC control board for $20. You want to motorize and RC a 1 /250 Scale ship, and have multiple functions, the RX18 is there to do it.

Regardless you choice to go to Clark was a wise one.. I try to be as objective as possible, as Battle Armor itself is a hobby for me, and is not run as a profit center.. The Latest Clark is a good value, and without doubt is a hard thing to sell against. It has its limitations, but for most, what the TK 22 delivers is what the majority of people want. I sell to the people who like to customize programming sound and function with the flexibility to do more., but it is a niche market in a niche hobby.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Where can I get a good deal on TK22?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    In Freaky's signature there is a link to his webshop. He can fix you up