Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

An Early Tamiya Sherman

After reading "So, what exactly is a Sherman" I got curious and dug out my old Tamiya Sherman that I built
    back in the '70s. The date I penciled inside said 1976. I found the instructions (all in Japanese) and the cover
    said kit RT1601. This tank has 2 motors and the clutch system. I put in the reciever batteries, pluged in a
    fresh 7.2 battery, fired her up and she still runs. Not real fast, but she manuvers pretty well considering she's
    over 35 years old! She only goes one speed, no turret movement, no sound, and of course no smoke.
    Since she has 2 motors, would it be feasible to remove the clutch system and hook up an RX18 to get
    proportional speed. With an HL turret motor I could get turret rotation at least. I might even get HL's
    crappy sound with a speaker and volume pot. I don't want to spend a lot of money and I have all the
    parts. Will the RX18 work, is it worth doing, what do you think? Suggestions, advice welcome.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Just get a Taigen board. Or better yet I'll give an HL rx-18 but you'll need to buy a DBC (which I have an extra). This way you get proper elevation control compared to the taigen and you'll gain the ability to shoot Tamiya compatible IR. Come to Danville!
    Troy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by modelbob71 View Post
    After reading "So, what exactly is a Sherman" I got curious and dug out my old Tamiya Sherman that I built
    back in the '70s. The date I penciled inside said 1976. I found the instructions (all in Japanese) and the cover
    said kit RT1601. This tank has 2 motors and the clutch system. I put in the reciever batteries, pluged in a
    fresh 7.2 battery, fired her up and she still runs. Not real fast, but she manuvers pretty well considering she's
    over 35 years old! She only goes one speed, no turret movement, no sound, and of course no smoke.
    Since she has 2 motors, would it be feasible to remove the clutch system and hook up an RX18 to get
    proportional speed. With an HL turret motor I could get turret rotation at least. I might even get HL's
    crappy sound with a speaker and volume pot. I don't want to spend a lot of money and I have all the
    parts. Will the RX18 work, is it worth doing, what do you think? Suggestions, advice welcome.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...4&d=1408770764
    - http://tanks.linite.com/

~ Then give three cheers, and one cheer more,
    For the hardy Captain of the Pinafore! ~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Thanks Tanque,
    That is exactly what I have in my 1976 Tamiya Sherman. I hooked up the HL RX18 and she works!
    Variable speed, engine startup sound, MG, etc. Still have to get the turret turning but soon I'll
    have a working M4A3E8.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    modelbob71 I think you'll find that old gearbox used as a twin setup has a lot of torque and it is very sturdy. I remain a big fan of these,
    there's part of me that doesn't like throwing things away and if they can be re tasked so much the better.

I've run my original Sherman a lot using the clutch mechanism since I first bought it. Over the years it's been the butt of any number of jokes
    at local club events. It's the Timex of tank models. I haven't the heart to upgrade it; I just leave it as is although I did put in a turret drive of my own doing.

The plastic caps split now and then or fall off. I may one day rework the running gear just to prevent that. It's slow speed makes it a joy to drive through
    obstacle courses and village settings. It's a 'noncombatant' tank I just enjoy driving....very nearly 40 years of driving -not a bad return on the $99 it cost
    new when I got it. That's what they sold for.

Jerry
    - http://tanks.linite.com/

~ Then give three cheers, and one cheer more,
    For the hardy Captain of the Pinafore! ~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by modelbob71 View Post
    Thanks Tanque,
    That is exactly what I have in my 1976 Tamiya Sherman. I hooked up the HL RX18 and she works!
    Variable speed, engine startup sound, MG, etc. Still have to get the turret turning but soon I'll
    have a working M4A3E8.
    The RX18 is an incredible value for $25. I think they would work great in Model PT boats or if someone wanted to RC a 1/200 scale warship. Hooking up a DBC3 and TBS you could have Naval sounds and sirens added to your model